Do you ever buy CDs based solely on album artwork, song titles and band name?
Mar 20, 2005 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Headphoneus Supremus
I do sometimes. When I can't decide what to get, I but a totally random CD based on these criteria:

"OooOooo that looks nifty!"
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Recently this led me to discover "The Music", because I thought their CD looked trippy. Lo and behold, I quite like their style.

Good times.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 46
I get close to doing that sometimes, but not really.

For example, I really thought about getting The Darkness album, but am glad I didn't after seeing their videos.
biggrin.gif

Not that I have anything against them, but I didn't feel like owning that album.

On the other hand, my all-time favorite album, and first CD purchase: 13 Above the Night, by My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult, was bought from hearing 2 tracks from the Cool World soundtrack and the incredibly trippy album artwork + the track titles.

Mar 20, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 46
How could I pass this up???

1111336592_pzychobitch_gr.jpg

And it's a hell of a lot of fun!

I do it from time to time. Sometimes it's just fun to take a chance...

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
I almost bought an Iced Earth album too.

eek.gif
If you like metal, DO IT! Iced Earth is some of the best metal i've ever heard.... mmmmm Iced Earth..... *drools*

Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
Sometimes it's just fun to take a chance...

Exactly
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 46
Believe it or not first time I ever heard of Tool was when seeing the Laterallus Album in a Target store. The electronics diagram based artwork on the plastic jacket was rather impressive, and it was an HDCD! Didn't buy the album then though, I first heard the music, then got the album.

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Americans generally don't have any idea what real European metal sounds like. Poor things.

Now I am confused . . . . motivated by your statement I went out seeking info on Iced Earth. What I found was :

"Biography by Ed Rivadavia
Fashion trends may come and go, but Florida's Iced Earth has remained steadfastly committed to championing the cause of heavy metal through thick and thin. After years of laboring in obscurity and undergoing countless lineup changes, they have slowly emerged as one of the greatest hopes for classic metal in America. ... Read More..."

from AMG.com

European Metal is apparently as American as apple pie and [fill in the blank]. . . . umm, nevermind. . .
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Now I am confused . . . . motivated by your statement I went out seeking info on Iced Earth. What I found was :

"Biography by Ed Rivadavia
Fashion trends may come and go, but Florida's Iced Earth has remained steadfastly committed to championing the cause of heavy metal through thick and thin. After years of laboring in obscurity and undergoing countless lineup changes, they have slowly emerged as one of the greatest hopes for classic metal in America. ... Read More..."

from AMG.com

European Metal is apparently as American as apple pie and [fill in the blank]. . . . umm, nevermind. . .
evil_smiley.gif

confused.gif

Now I am confused too..... because I heard Iced Earth only tours in Europe. I guess I just assumed that means they're from Europe? Hmm... i'll look into it.

PS: I guess we know what happens when one assumes. lol

EDIT: Okay, so the difference is in how radio functions in the different countries. Radio is less important than having good reviews and a great live show over in Europe, therefore bands like Iced Earth are more popular over there. Man, this sucks. I feel pretty stupid for propogating totally false word-of-mouth info.
frown.gif
Thanks for correcting me though, at least I learned something
rs1smile.gif

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 46
I bought The Horropops CD Hell Yeah! based on the CD cover and the name.
I actually like it.
I think I got The Distillers CD Coral Fang based solely on the cover. I like it okay, not a favorite but it's okay.

I'm sure those are not the only two. I just can't remember any others at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back