Do you EQ you headphone?
Nov 22, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
no way. eq is a band-aid for the weak link in your rig. if you have to eq there is something fundamentlly wrong.

And I agree.

In my case, the weak link is my audiotory deficiency in detecting low frequency!
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #21 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
no way. eq is a band-aid for the weak link in your rig. if you have to eq there is something fundamentlly wrong.

Only if you are a follower. Nothing wrong with becoming the artist yourself, and making the music sound the way you want it to sound, rather than the original creator's way.

Granted this may be quite blasphemous when it comes to real/live instruments & vocals, but in the world of electronnica, I don't see what is wrong with that.

/flamesuit on
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
What about this weak link: poor recordings
tongue.gif

P.S. I don't EQ, but if I listened to more rock, pop, techno, rap and other studio music, I would be mighty tempted.

well, there was a 1969 100th generation grateful dead tape bootleg i remastered using a 24 band eq and a nakamichi deck back in the '80's. but i think it was the only time i've ever been able to turn crap into gold.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #24 of 67
ipod 5G - no way. If I wanted EQ I would have gotten a X5L or X5-60 instead, or waited for something else. Of course my gear is just PX100 white's these days, so EQing isn't really nessasary.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #25 of 67
I don't agree with redshifter at all. I EQ my ER4s out of my Neuros. They're excellent earphones in all respects except they don't have enough bass.

Now I could...

a) Try something like Shures; extra expense, effort, time for non-guaranteed result
b) Buy some more expensive IEMs - even MORE expense, effort and time
c) Buy some bass-heavy amp or something and kid myself it's more 'pure' or 'clean' than using digital EQ...yet more expense, and inconvenience

Why are any of those options better? My current system is very nice in all regards except one. Digital EQ fixes that one at no expense and with no effort or inconvenience.

The default 'bass boost' config on the Neuros has the bottom two levels boosted. I find this causes distortion, so I set the bottom two levels at 0 and reduced the three higher levels, then increased the overall volume a couple of notches. I can't perceive any distortion or reduction in quality, just a nice kick in the bass.

Nov 22, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 67
I have set EQs for my different phones. I re-EQ my car CD player every time I switch CDs because of the wide array of music I listen to in my car. For home/work use I just stick with one EQ for each, and it isn't ever very much.

If you're going to EQ, it should always be subtractive. Boosting frequencies, especially with a bad EQ (and I've used plenty of bad ones) will get distorted quickly. I actually love the VST Waves 10-band EQ... I can get away with about anything using it when masterning, but that's another thread, and probably another board.

I stick with the foobar EQ though and it seems to be fine.

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #27 of 67
Isn't that the beauty of choice?
cool.gif

If you haven't even tried Shures and other IEM buds, then how can you be sure that you'd be most happy with your Etym? I had the ER-6i and didn't find them to be so deficient in bass that I had to mess the sound with bad software EQ, and I like deep bass. The Etys are balanced enough for me
etysmile.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10
Only if you are a follower. Nothing wrong with becoming the artist yourself, and making the music sound the way you want it to sound, rather than the original creator's way.

Granted this may be quite blasphemous when it comes to real/live instruments & vocals, but in the world of electronnica, I don't see what is wrong with that.

/flamesuit on
tongue.gif

I mostly agree with you, but I wouldn't call the signal purists followers. There are some things (usually classical, and like you, live performances) that I don't eq, but I do have similar feelings as yours about becoming a bit of a creator. I personally think of it more as being the final producer. I find myself arguing with the producers/mixers pretty often... "It would be so much sweeter if you just let that sit a little further back"... "What room is the bass player in? - Some more thump would really energize these songs!"... etc., etc.

Nov 22, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #29 of 67
apple: of course I can't be sure I wouldn't like something else more, but I AM sure I like the Etys the way they are, and I AM sure that EQing them was a sensible choice for me, and I AM sure they're not the 'weak link' in my 'system'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #30 of 67
My DT-770/80's have a recessed midrange as well as a rather large hump in the bass, so I EQ the bass down by 1 dB as well as adding a 2dB curve between 250Hz and 1kHz. Though it isn't a permanent substitute, it helps decently on the vocals, which I feel are this cans weakpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back