Do you enjoy music or listen to details from your headphone?
Feb 1, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 55
i can't even listen to the words in songs with vocals, let alone details in the recording. well, i can if i try, but that ruins the enjoyment for me (for many songs). it's all about establishing as direct a connection between the piece/artist and myself and for me this comes in the form of letting the complete sound engulf me.

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 55
I like reading the linear notes and listening closely to the lyrics at least once for every cd I buy. Sometimes you miss out a lot by not making out what is being said in songs (assuming of course you're not listening to some album with reallly bad lyrics e.g. britney spears lol)

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 55
I do both, sometimes I just want to rock out, other times I like listening to the detail of my sound setup

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I can certainly understand your position, however. If listening to the HD595s is like "making love to a corpse," then I might prefer the PX100s, too.
rolleyes.gif

But it is not only with HD 595. I also have Philips HD 890 and Grado SR40, and I prefer PX100 also over them. Perhaps I am in a period where the music engage me more then the sound. I don't know.
Of course I could empty my wallet and try other expensive headphones and amps. But I could also try it the other way. That way is to be grateful over my PX100. At least for the moment I feel so. But I can change my mind. I have had a lot of headphones over the years.
And the PX100 are very good headphones. Much better than Koss Porta Pro IMO

Georg

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 55
I'm not sure there's really a problem here. Langrath makes a good point.
Quote:

Perhaps I am in a period where the music engage me more then the sound. I don't know.

One reason I keep a stable of headphones is that my tastes vary from time to time, and I "go off" a can that I've been using and reach for another sound. My preference isn't necessarily for the more expensive headphones. Some of my cans are more fun than they are accurate. Sometimes what I'm looking for is the fun, and that doesn't make me or Langrath "a traitor in headfi."

In a week or a month, I may go back to the first set to rediscover why I enjoyed them to begin with. It's about enjoying the music. Where else but on Head-Fi would finding something that gives genuine pleasure be a source of misgivings? I like my A900s a lot more than I do my Senn HD650s. So what?
biggrin.gif

BW

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #22 of 55
thats why i dont understand some people. they lsiten to the music such as pop and mainstream rock with high-end headphones. i mean detailed. If theres nothing much in the music, then...why do you need the detail? if it sounds good, fine...but detail...? u wanna hear the pick hitting the strings, the guys at the side saying whatsup to the guy outside?

i bought good headphoens to find PLEASURE outta it. not the detail. but detail is very good for the pleasure IMO, as most of my music there is so much that i could never have heard it with so many things. I just found out that this song uses a drum rhythm which stands fro EATMYASSANDBALLS in morse code. lol. ANWAYS that doesnt relate to it but IMHO, having the detail is very good for pleasure when you're listening to classical ESP. SYMPHONIES, jazz, progresive rock/metal, instrumentals, etc.

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #24 of 55
I agree with rob1031

i guess it depends on what type of music u are listening to. A examlpe which might be very clear (sory cant get a better one because i dont listen that much to mainstream stuff): Drop it like its hot - Pharell Williams & Snoop Dogg , u can have as much detailed phones as u want to, but u wont find that much more...

When u have a classical symphony or something like that u really enjoy detailed headphones. I´m into metal , so when i listen to it i hear the guitar strings and a lot of other detail...
blink.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 55
newb here..
i listen to: Mostly Detail..
since i try to differentiate certain instruments from one another (especially drums)..
and while i try and copy it, i enjoy the music too..
(Although my cheapo headphones are limiting me, KSC-55 owner
basshead.gif
, and if anyone asks about comfort, i have a small head)

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 55
I don't concentrate on the details but my Senn HD 595 sounds with good with fortunately more then half of my cd collection. Maybe some headphones sound good with certain things. I know there are reviewers who say so and so headphone (definitely not 595 :p ) sounds good with everything but it all comes down to how the user perceives it.

This is why I'm looking for a phone for those cds which my 595 doesn't click with. For some reason, I think buying an HD 650 is a wrong step. Looking into AKG.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #27 of 55
Detail is what I *don't* like about listening to headphones. Sometimes cans can be like listening to music with thick bubble eyeglasses. All sorts of extraneous details are enlarged, with no sense of the overall. What I want is for the music to sound *natural* and *balanced*. I suppose if I listened to electronic music exclusively, close up listening might be interesting, but with acoustic music, it's terrible. People who listen to electronic rock have it easy... just about any headphone that matches their taste in bass and treble balance will work for them. But for classical and acoustic jazz, there are a lot more factors involved.

See ya
Steve

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #28 of 55
I enjoy music. I'm starting to get a thrill in hearing things I never heard before in some songs though.

etysmile.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
Could it be that real life music isn’t that detailed?

I think there is a much different quality to recorded music than live music. When music is played live it is sometimes impossible to hear the minute details that can be heard with recorded music. The microphones used for live amplification have different qualities than microphones used to record music. Good recording mics are extremely sensitive and pick up very small deatails that can't possibly be heard with the naked ear. Using headphones can then take it to another level completely. Since music is usually mixed down using speakers, artists and recording engineers don't always mix with these details in mind. They are trying to get the big picture. Let's face it, most people listen with speakers, not headphones. Headphones, and especially very detailed headphones give you a hyper-reality when it comes to music. I can definitely understand how the details can distract from the music.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #30 of 55
You're talking about cruddy rock shows with PA systems that fit better on a truck than they sound. At a symphony or chamber concert, the sound is a thousand times better than any recording.

I corresponded with a sound engineer who said that he had an epiphany about recording one day when he was attending a local carnival. He was standing at the top end of the chute, with all of the clamor of the carnival games extending out in front of him. At the end of the aisle was a merry go round with a calliope playing. He stood there for a second with his eyes closed, just focusing on the sounds around him. And he realized that even with the best equipment currently available, there was absolutely no way that he could reproduce that sound experience.

The same is true of live performance. The combination of direct, unamplified sound from the performers and the reflected sound off the walls of the auditorium creates a vivid sound picture that no headphone can match. Even if you have no interest in classical music, you owe it to yourself to attend a symphony concert sometime just to hear something that blows away your home theater and headphone rig.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back