do you enjoy modern EDM/electronic music?
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

csch92

500+ Head-Fier
might be a little out of topic
but i am curious.
i feel like elecoic music is on a huge downhill these days

if we would have a new loveparade these days, it would suck badly
electronic music has no charm in it anymore and it sounds flat and lacking anything musical.

sure there are some good bangers today to, but they are RARE

what are you opinions? maybe i am looking at the wrong spot? what could you recomend?

we have amazing technology and software/hardware to build amazing stuff, so why the hell is it lacking so much compared to music from 2001? and why is it so damn short? the track often ends with it just gets somewhat good

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 9
It doesn't sell well enough, compared to "pop-EDM".
Many of the great artists from earlier have gone mainstream to earn more money.
But that's just my opinion :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 9
As someone who got into electronic music (and music in general) around 2010, I like modern EDM and electronic music, though IMO the term has become so broad as to start to lose meaning. I generally like newer subgenres like future bass, and in particular music that combines EDM synths and bass with acoustic instruments and vocals. The mellower and melodic stuff and songs that wouldn't actually make good dance anthems. "Bloom" by Dabin from his 2017 album Wild Youth has been one of my favorite songs for years and is representative of the sort of electronic music that I like. I'm not that big a fan of what would usually be called bangers, though I do like some Excision and Technikore.

I've also not been exposed to the late 90s and early 2000s EDM, so I might like it, I just haven't heard it. If you have recs, I'd love to hear them!

Though, I'm not sure why this is in the Headphone subforum. I think the Music subforum is more suited to this sort of discussion.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 9
i mainly listen to electronic music. the term encompasses so many subgenres that you often like one and dislike many others. ambient, dance, downtempo, trip-hop, house, techno, trance, garage all fall under the electronic umbrella, but i only care for a few of these. the genre that i like most is future garage and music closely associated with that type. burial and vacant are two of my favorite artists. electronic music that leans toward pop, indie, alternative is out.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 9
I listen to a lot of EDM and pop music and I really got into it when the kind of electro house with very fun beats was popular in 2012 or so. I really also enjoyed artists who were making innovative music like BT and it was material I hadn't really ever heard before with all those stutter edits he did and he created music with incredibly high production value. I think BT is regarded as one of the pioneers of EDM, he was in the scene well before 2012 - but that's when I found him and got sucked in. I remember when I listened to tunes by Deadmaus in the early 2010's as well - it was also like a style of music I'd never heard before then. It was a time artists could really pave unique new styles to their music that was fresh.

I still enjoy EDM today and it is most of my listening but I do agree the bar seems to have been lowered a bit on the overall quality and I think there is two main reasons. One being the popularity which really blew up - so you have so many more artists making these tunes to where it has become more generic and standardized. I don't hear the kinds of innovation in this music that I had heard in those earlier years, maybe just because it was new back then. So I think it is the mass popularity - as well as the fact that this stuff has been around now and popular for more than a decade so there is just less novelty in the music. There is much MORE of it, but you less often hear tunes that really innovate like you used to hear back before it exploded.

There's still plenty to enjoy and plenty of songs I hear which I like but it's just harder to find that unique "newness" to tracks that people like BT brought to the table. He could probably do it all over again if he wanted to - I think he's that talented.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 9
just listen to these tracks, it just shows what a downgrade edm went trough, it sounds really like mass produced crap

and the 2001 version

there is no flow in the 24 version neither is there a good c-part

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 9
They both sound fine. The '24 one sounds like a modern, studio version of the '01 one. I'm not sure how big of a change FiNCH made, but maybe you don't prefer his remix. It sounds like the '24 one incorporated the main hook from the original one and sped it up while adding more lyrical phrases.

I like modern EDM, though I am only familiar with ~2015 or newer stuff. Like someone mentioned, the EDM genre has grown large and houses many sub-genres. For longer stuff, psytrance is more my style; some artists include Captain Hook and Infected Mushroom. Since you use Spotify, I used to follow their section called "Pixel Garden" and found some music I liked there. Monstercat's catalog has some decent stuff too, and there is always soundtrack EDM. I like Japanese-inspired EDM—something "pixel-y" sounding. Just throwing a bunch of stuff: Kawaii bass, future bass, cyberpunk, retrowave, groove. Some artists I like: Aiobahn, Synthion, AIKA, Starjunk 95, fusq. Probably not your style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back