Do you Dance?
Apr 28, 2004 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Audio Redneck

Spaceman Spiff
My wife and I are taking a break from it during Little League season, but for about the last year we've been taking dance lessons with some friends. Fox-trot, Swing, Waltz, RRRRRRUMMMBAAAA, Cha-Cha, and a few weeks of Tango. Locally, the Arlington Hotel has a ballroom lounge with live music Thur-Sat nights, so on "date-night" we head over there to work on our steps.

So, do you dance?

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Redneck
My wife and I are taking a break from it during Little League season, but for about the last year we've been taking dance lessons with some friends. Fox-trot, Swing, Waltz, RRRRRRUMMMBAAAA, Cha-Cha, and a few weeks of Tango. Locally, the Arlington Hotel has a ballroom lounge with live music Thur-Sat nights, so on "date-night" we head over there to work on our steps.

So, do you dance?

Nope. I won't even try since it'd be a horrible sight that would cause permanent mental damage to those observing it
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 41
i break, pop & lock and swing (lindy hop mostly). i was trained in tap and ballet but those aren't really too socially applicable.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 41
Only after having imbibed large quantites of alcoholic libations, I think you need a new option...
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 41
The last time I danced was 10 years ago when the aquaintance of a friend firmly gripped my arm and said "I don't care what you say, I want to dance now get your ***** on the floor." I was awful, it was horrible.

I recently heard she in now in a Federal penitentiary. Ahh...sweet karma.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 41
where's the "only when I'm drunk"-option?

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 41
I did NOTHING BUT dance from the age of 21-26. Not ballroom stuff, naturally. Just shaking-my-butt-I-want-sex style dancing at clubs and bars. Then I got married for the first time and it ended.
mad.gif

But here's what I really wanted to say in this thread. I once knew this very smart, wonderfully dignified woman of 90 in Charleston, SC. Once of the most elegant persons I've ever met. She told me something about the nature of dancing that always stuck with me. So now I share it with you:

She said that "after the age of 35 a gentleman shouldn't dance in public". I was confused at first, then I got it. She was referring, of course, to club/bar dancing, or the boozed-up wedding shennigans we all indulge in from time to time. I realized she was right. When you're young and you see some 40-year old get up and try to boogie, it's always kind of embarassing and goofy-looking. Think about it.

But It's a sobering thought, sort of a pathetic end-of-youth reminder.

But rhumba, cha-cha-cha, tango, ballroom stuff, that's a whole other story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 41
Nope. I'm horrible at it, such terribly awkward movements.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 41
I used to strutt my tail feather at the discos back in the late 70's & 80's but these days I find the idea of a balding 43 year old jigging about on a dancefloor a bit repulsive
eek.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I realized she was right. When you're young and you see some 40-year old get up and try to boogie, it's always kind of embarassing and goofy-looking. Think about it.

You (or her) obviously don't belong to a latin american dancing culture
biggrin.gif
I like dancing latin music, especially merengue and salsa. In any latin american country, in any kind of large party with latin music on you can see all ages dancing, it is perfectly normal to dance with grandma and grandpa, or to see people of large age differences dancing together, there is nothing kind of embarrasing and goofy-looking about that, in a latin country/culture that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back