Do you custom iem owners gripe inside when you have to pay for repairs?
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 10
sometimes i wonder how much do we need to pay after the warranty ends..

they also did not gave the cost breakdown of what repairs cost how much etc...

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cost [of] breakdown? did i detect a pun?

why should it be a pun? i am thinking from the point of view of a consumer.

clearly i am very interested in the cost of the repairs(after warranty) they are providing.

after all , i had spent so much on it. if it is more than what i expected(unreasonable pricing) , then i would consider something else instead.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Most custom IEMs are meant for stage monitoring purposes and are built to last through years of gigging by professional musicians who rough it out. So for those who just use them for personal listening only and commuting, i don't see how it should breakdown faster?

Unless your pet chews them up or someone comes along and steps on them accidentally then that's another story altogether, but if i'd spent that amount of money on a custom, i'd make sure my pet or my friend's shoes don't get to it. Haha.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 10
still though, there seems to be very little strain relief on the cables, especially around the earpieces on parts that use the ue/westone connector. not that i am expecting something bad to happen but i think companies would be smarter to adopt a more robust design such as livewires brass connector or even the newer sleek coax that is snug and all metal without plastic bits sticking out.

Apr 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 10
I am actually sending my es-2s in today for repair.

They molding on the left ear piece cracked from normal use, and I had to have it fixed within the first few months.

They then developed a channel imbalance, which I also had fixed.

I am sending them in again for the same problem, and since I am out of warranty, the process will probably cost me about the price of new midrange shure in-ear product.

So yah,

whine whine whine, b*tch, b*tch.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 10
It would seem to me a custom will ALWAYS be more susceptible to problems since there is far less repeatability in the exact build process. It's different every time.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 10
hmm, well I'm expecting my costs to be around £70. That's from last year when I ripped my cable in half last year by accident. warranty wouldnt' have covered that. My ACS T2s on the Right side now developed a faulty connection with the woofer and now it cuts out intermittently. But they'll need to dissolve the R piece to recable it, and I think the cable is 1 piece so they'll end up recabling the whole thing.

I dont' think the repair costs for customs will quite reach the price of a mid-priced Shure product but it's sizable as you obviously need specially trained technicians with matching equipment to fix it. But £70 can buy a fair bit of stuff. Exclusitivity costs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back