Do you consider Prince to be a great entertainer/Musican?
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 39
especially on this board
confused.gif
...the man is a pop legend

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 39
Prince is one of the best entertainers/musicians of the 20th century! I was a hugh fan when I was in highschool, even joint the fanclub to obtain first row seats in Utrecht. I stopped following his music after highschool though (got into grunge). I would go to his concert if he came to Singapore because he is best when experienced live. What that man can do with a guitar (or a keyboard) is amazing!

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #21 of 39
Good musician, Definitely! Indeed the whole New Power Generation are superb musicians: such musical richness, seamless cooperation and above all humor is difficult to found. Listening to a good Prince album (especially the more "conceptual" stuff like Love Symbol and Gold is like having a rich meal.

As an entertainer, of course not everyone approve of him, but one can hardly accuse him for not being totally dedicated to his job.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've long held that Prince is a bonafide musical genius. Highly underrated though he's certainly not without massive success.

Yeah.. Am a huge fan.. I used to date this girl who went to all his concerts in the Bay Area.. Was a fan since 1999.. Like around 20 of his songs.. Ultra talented.. Not sure if Prince was aware of this at the time but naming his album 1999 was pure marketing Genius.. In 1999 before 2000 the song 1999 was being played everywhere!!!

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendri2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say he's great for his genre and for being multi-talented. Compared to other dedicated guitarist, dedicated songwriters, dedicated vocalist etc, he's only average.

Jim

As a dedicated songwriter he is good IMO.. wrote 3-4 number 1 songs for the Bengals, Sinnead 'oconnor among others..

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #25 of 39
He's an extremely talented musician and a decent songwriter. He's a multi-instrumentalist; he played every instrument on his first album to save money in the recording studio. He's an excellent guitar player as well, one of the best of those players most people have actually heard of. (No knock against the more obscure guitar players, many of whom are impressive but unknown to the general public.)

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've long held that Prince is a bonafide musical genius.

I agree. Whether or not you like his style of music, it is not hard to see his talent as a songwriter, a musician, and a performer.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #27 of 39
Great musician and entertainer, but his songwriting usually doesn't appeal to me.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppergrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think Prince is great, but like a lot of music his best music is the stuff that you would never hear on the radio. i've seen him live and he blew my hair back! i'd say he's maybe the best of my time.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. You haven't experienced him until you've experienced him live. His bootlegs of his shows are better than 95% of his official releases.

A good musician and singer, his assembly line of cd releases leaves something to be desired. He is a great entertainer, I recall a time in the mid to late '80s when some thought there was going to be a 3 way race between Michael Jackson, Prince, and Terence Trent D'Arby for the "KIng of Pop" crown. One kinda fell off of the map, the rest is history.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #29 of 39
Gawd! The dude had everything, back in his heyday. Lyrics, guitar-playing ability, and sex appeal. I grew up listening to his stuff, and still listen to it today. His musical influances are many, and I always likened him to a young James Brown. His songs stir the soul, and get ya moovin'...not only on the dance-floor, but also in the bedroom
very_evil_smiley.gif
!

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #30 of 39
Here's a grade card I've just dreamt up for him:

Stage performer - 10/10
Vocalist - 8/10
Guitarist - 8/10
Producer - 8/10
Actor - 6/10
Keyboardist - 6/10
Songwriter - 5/10

For me to think that someone is notably good I'd say that they only had to get about 8/10 in any one field, so yes, Prince is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back