Do you concentrate on lyrics or tunes?
Dec 27, 2001 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
I'm curious as to just how you guys all take your music. Do you concentrate primarily on the tunes and beat, or do you concentrate on the lyrics?

I personally concentrate on the beat and tunes...when I'm out listening to new CDs, it's the tune that'll catch my attention first and foremost...whether it sounds sad, peaceful, fast, etc. In fact I'd say I pratically never listen to lyrics...I tend to use the lyrics instead as a "holding place" for beats and tunes, especially once I'm familiar with a song. I know I'm not the only one doing this since I know there are others out there that buy Asian CDs and don't know a lick of any Asian language.
evil_smiley.gif
I'll be over here rolling strange Japanese words off my tongue not because I know what it means, but because it sounds good!
tongue.gif

But sometimes I gotta wonder...if I don't listen to the lyrics, am I removing the whole intent of the song? I still get that wonderful thing called music though, and to quote JMT, if it sounds good, it IS good.

Dec 27, 2001 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 29
Seems I don't fit into any of the catergories. Mostly it's the music, but sometimes it's the lyrics. I never much liked the music of The Smiths, for example, but I bought their debut album on the strength of the lyrics alone. Course, the music did start to grow on me eventually, so now I like it.

Dec 27, 2001 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 29
I don't know if I can honestly answer to that.

I do like a lot classical music (concert an dsyphonies rather than opera), so of course melody is most important.

But I like pop / rock too. Some of my favourite singers or bands being Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Nick Drake, ... For those, lyrics are essential.

For others, like The Clash, Phish, ... they are not so. However, as I start getting the lyrics (English is not my mother tongue), they become very important to my enjoyment of music.

P.

Dec 27, 2001 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 29
As I've said before, I'm not much of a lyrics person...unless they reach out, grab me by the throat, and say, "LISTEN TO ME!" Tori Amos, Nine Inch Nails, Chris Isaak, Fiona Apple, Pink Floyd, Golden Earring, Stranglers, Cocteau Twins...all of those affect me with their lyrics.

And of course if I listen to something enough, I might eventually hear the lyrics. So technically, I could have answered with the third choice, but due to the phrasing of the initial question, I chose the second. I am so much more about the music that lyrics are absolutely secondary.

Dec 27, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 29
As a former musician, I have a hard time understanding lyrics. It's like I have developed a filter in my head to remove them, after trying to learn musical parts from songs for so long. I can hear the tiniest ghost notes from the bass player, for example, but the lyrics go right over my head

Dec 27, 2001 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 29
I'm somwhat like Dusty. usually I don't care much for exactly what they say, more how thay say it. my favorite band is Arena, but half the time (well, more thatn half to be honest) I don't have a clue what they're on about. the atmosphere is always incredible so I don't care. or with jazz, I dunno what I love about that. no lyrics, hlaf the time not much of a groove or melody either.

but sometimes, all there seems to be are lyrics, a story sometimes even. and then all the other stuff is just filling up the background.

Dec 27, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 29
The musicality of the album will catch my attention first and then I'll get out the CD cover and look for the words. Just look at my signature. That's from my favorite CD of the year.

Dec 27, 2001 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 29
It's all about the sound. Sometimes the lyrical content is a big part of that and sometimes it's just window dressing.

Honestly, I probably don't know the words to many of the songs to which I listen the most.

Dec 27, 2001 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 29
I love good lyrics, but mostly on how they're implemented into the melody. If it's very trite and predictable, then blah. I can't stand songs that rhyme line by line like a 6 year old could've written 'em.

Jeff Buckley didn't only write sweet lyrics, but the way he integrated them into a melody was just mysterious and brilliant.

Dec 27, 2001 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 29
For myself it would definitely be the Lyrics. What more can I say when Ilisten to people like:

Shawn Colvin
Lucy Kaplansky
Dar Williams
Nanci Griffith
Mary-Chapin Carpenter

Ron Sexsmith
Bob Dylan (can't sing to save his life but is a great songwriter)
Gram Parsons
Townes Van Zandt

That's not to say that I don't like music with a great tune / rythym and beat because I do. I suppose a great track would have a subtle mixture of all these elements. Quite often when I buy a new album i'll record it to Minidisc and listen to it whilst out and about and then have proper listen to the tracks that were the most tuneful/catchy when I get to put the big-rig on at home.

Take the Beatles for example. They did some great songs with knockout tunes and words that were simple yet at the same time were very expressive and emotional. At other times the tunes were great and the words were complete gibberish.

In the end, what matters is that you enjoy the music and everybody's listening experience is different depending on your moods at that particular time I suppose?

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2001 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 29
As long as I like the melody, the lyrics could literally be nothing but "blah blah BLAAAAH blah blah", and I'd be happy. Good lyrics are icing on the cake.

Dec 27, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

I never much liked the music of The Smiths

WWHHHAAAAAAA?? oh well. differn't strokes and all.

i'm very much a music guy. i can pick apart all the lines of melody and rhythm in my head, be it stereolab or philip glass. it takes a very special songwriter to catch my interest in lyrics. some of them are:

tom waites
stereolab
r.e.m.
the smiths
nirvana

the more abstract and strange the lyrics the more i pay attention. i like to try to figure out what the heck they're singing about, like it's a mystery to be solved. i've read that michael stipe will sometimes just sing nonsense words that fit with a tune and turn them into words later. of course take a band like the grateful dead, when jerry couldn't remember the words to his own songs he would just make up new ones!
rolleyes.gif

i especially like songs that have happy music but sad or disturbing lyrics. the smiths were the masters of this type.

some songs have great music but when you listen to the lyrics...
"cat scratch fever! hear the ***** purr when i stroke her fur!"

"baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby mbaby i'm a-gonna leave you!"

etc..

Dec 27, 2001 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 29
BOTH!!!

Unless I am listening to classical with no vocals, lyrics are very important to me. Melody is also very important as well. They both must be just as good or it just doesn't work for me. I rarely use music as background noise, so I'm am very focus when I am listening, so it's a must that a song has everything, great lyrics and great melody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back