Do you "clean" your IEMs?
May 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Empire

Head-Fier
If so, how?

I usually just clean the sleeves, but is it possible over time that gunk will build up on and between the mesh holes of the driver filter? If yes, is there a way to clean that?

If I'm crazy please tell me, so that I may call a psychologist.
dt880smile.png

May 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 17
Im kind of paranoid everytime I use earphones that I will get the filters dirty, so I find myself using q-tips frequently. Also wash the sleeves weekly.

May 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya the supplied cleaning tool (the loop thingy) is useful in cleaning the tubes, but my tubes are always free of earwax; I guess keeping my own ears clean is the best way. For sleeves I just take them off and wash with soup every once in a while.

confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes, I do.

May 30, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 17
I clean the tips off my PFE and the custom tips on my SE530's at least once a week. And of course, taking care of the SE530 cable is essential. The filter I don't ever have to check, since I'm one of those weirdos that naturally produce VERY little earwax for whatever reason.

May 30, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woops LOL.
LMAO@ my own post! I never read my post properly after posting it.

So a fine pumpkin, yeah?
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clean the tips off my PFE and the custom tips on my SE530's at least once a week. And of course, taking care of the SE530 cable is essential. The filter I don't ever have to check, since I'm one of those weirdos that naturally produce VERY little earwax for whatever reason.

The cable is interesting...is it just general "taking care of" or do you do something to it "once a week".

By the way, is there any "safest way" to wrap earphone cables to minimize damage?

May 30, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So a fine pumpkin, yeah?
biggrin.gif

You got me...haha
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is interesting...is it just general "taking care of" or do you do something to it "once a week".

By the way, is there any "safest way" to wrap earphone cables to minimize damage?

Safest way I believe is to try not bending/stressing it too much. I know Shure cables have a lot of problems. I guess try not to wrap them too tight around your ears, and wash regularly with soap to remove excess grease will help too. If the IEMs can be wore straight down as well then that way for sure does less damage to the cable but you gotta live with the microphonic.

May 30, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 17
I noticed fabric cables have a bigger issue with what you're calling microphonics than with rubber cables..

But then again..the canalphones came with a magnet/clip thing..I have no idea what to do with it..

What about putting them away? Is there any special way of twisting them?

May 30, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 17
I guess you are talking about shirt clip? Clipping onto shirt does help eliminate some degree of cable noise, but any rubbing of the cable above the clip will be audible.

And yes rubber cables are somewhat better, especially twisted pairs, and they are more durable too.

When I put mine away in the pouch I use my hand as the winder. So far I have no problems doing this way with all my current and past IEMs including some Shure models.

May 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 17
Alright! Sounds good! I don't have an expensive pair of canalphones or IEMs..(stuck with cheap ones now) but I figured better learn before and know what to do when I buy.

But my budget is out of the window right now since I bought a 200$ FS headphone :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back