Do you buy IEMs like candy ?
Oct 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #16 of 46
Yes, I've gone through too many IEM's and headphones in general. Luckily I found the TF10 and have stuck with it for the past 4 months (not long, I know, but I was going through IEM's every 1.5-2 months so this seems like an eternity!). The only IEM I've bought since then is the Meelec A151 to replace my broken Shure SE215s for gym duty.

Unfortunately, I'm not off the hook as I've been bitten by the Grado bug again. I'm hoping after one or two more headphone purchases I'll be good for at least a few months, but I think we all know how that goes...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #17 of 46
I made the point in a portable amp review I wrote that portable kit is so easy to 'stash away' if the novelty wears off, but IEMs must be the ultimate example of that. It would be so easy to completely fill one of those plastic storage bins with IEMs, stash the bin under a bed or in a cupboard and completely forget about them. Sure, you could sell them, but personally I'm not a fan of used IEMs - YMMV.

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 46
HAHA yeah totally...

I owned Atrio M8 since 2007, and for 4 years I have this 1, until I started reading Head-Fi

This year's purchase
Feels Pro.900
Brainwavz B2

Purchased, and on route to me
Xears N3i
Fisher Audio Silver Bullet
VSONIC GR07

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #19 of 46
Nope, two or three at most. I had to limit myself because the problem with this hobby is that once you have climbed the ladder, you cannot step down (or even look down) anymore. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #20 of 46
This is the root of our buying mentality/problem.

Upgraditis.

In my mind , customs = being married

For now , i like being single and shopping around
jecklinsmile.gif

Quote:
Nope, two or three at most. I had to limit myself because the problem with this hobby is that once you have climbed the ladder, you cannot step down (or even look down) anymore
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 46

Quote:
I had two top tier IEMS at the same time (Triple Fi10, ER4P) and a mid-fi one (Hifiman RE0),before I realized I had a problem.  Now I just have my customs and a set of JVC Marshmellows.

Me too. I had MD Tributes, e-Q7s and FX700s. I sold them all after buying some UM customs and have never looked back.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #22 of 46

Quote:
This is the root of our buying mentality/problem.Upgraditis.In my mind , customs = being marriedFor now , i like being single and shopping around
jecklinsmile.gif

Not when you get multiple customs :p You have your wife and a girlfriend :)

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #23 of 46
After all those high-end earphones, I now spend most of my ear-time with cheap Philips, Sennheiser.....
High treble, pounding bass and super clarity are fun, but constant excitements are not for long-section enjoyment.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:
This is the root of our buying mentality/problem.Upgraditis.In my mind , customs = being marriedFor now , i like being single and shopping around
jecklinsmile.gif

Quote:
Not when you get multiple customs :p You have your wife and a girlfriend :)

Quote:
Me too. I had MD Tributes, e-Q7s and FX700s. I sold them all after buying some UM customs and have never looked back. 

This is precisely the 'cure' I'm looking for. 

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #25 of 46
I have a hard time resisting deals, but apparently I have heard everything note-worthy in the universal league by now and also some entry customs. I decided on W4 and FX700. I'm not much interested in anything but the PFE 232 for now.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #28 of 46
Not so much... although I probably have six or seven IEMs.  They're just so small, and I travel a lot, so different suits, different coats, suitcases.  I'll lose a set or two, then suddenly find them again, but meantime lose another set.  No permanent losses, other than the ones that someone snagged out of my airline seat pocket while I was in the bathroom.  (Bet they regretted that...the earwax filters desperately needed cleaning.)  All of them Etymotics, although curiosity is getting to me about new designs.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #29 of 46

Quote:
HAHA yeah totally...

I owned Atrio M8 since 2007, and for 4 years I have this 1, until I started reading Head-Fi

This year's purchase
Feels Pro.900
Brainwavz B2

Purchased, and on route to me
Xears N3i
Fisher Audio Silver Bullet
VSONIC GR07

I can only go on Joker's reviews, but if you cant find the fun factor somewhere in that lot, you need to check your wrist for a pulse. 
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 46
I buy my IEMs just like how I buy candies - only on sale.  I think the level of my bad hearing is approaching the state of my teeth cavities....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back