Do you believe that IEM's can damage your hearing?
Aug 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've yet to find a good sounding circumaural that isolates as well as my IEMs. I've been looking because I'd occasionally like to give my ears a break from the IEMs on my commute. I'm starting to think they don't exist. My next try is going to by a supraaural HD-25.

Really? You do surprise me.

Thats like having a cross-country race between a Ferrari & a Land-Rover and wondering why the Rover wins. Clue, IEMs are inherently isolating, in other words, the way they're made encourages isolation.

I've never found a good sounding IEM with the soundstage of my Circumaurals.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #48 of 60
Something related to this topic. Is there anyway to figure out the dB level that my headphone is producing?

Also initially I was worried that IEM's can damage my hearing but I believe what most people have already stated, that since IEM's isolate outside noise, you can play your music at a lower volume.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #49 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something related to this topic. Is there anyway to figure out the dB level that my headphone is producing?

You'd have to buy an SPL meter.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also initially I was worried that IEM's can damage my hearing but I believe what most people have already stated, that since IEM's isolate outside noise, you can play your music at a lower volume.

See my post in Tyll's thread to measure SPL for open/closed headphones.

If you have a dedicated Head Acoustics Artificial Head Measurement System like Tyll you could measure the SPL of of IEM's. Failing that you could try a comparative/level matching test where you match the perceived volume of the IEM in one ear, with listening to speakers using the other ear. If you can swap and not detect a change in volume, then they are level matched - then just measure the SPL of the speaker at the listening position. Since the levels are matched the SPL at the ear should be the same. (Note assumes 100% isolation so that the speaker is not reinforcing the IEM signal. If that was not the case then compare IEM's in / speakers off to no IEM, speakers On - you get the idea)

The IEM's should in theory be able to played quieter to achieve the same SNR ( signal to noise ratio) than other transducers - since their isolating properties reduce the extraneous noise - just leaving you with their signal.
That however does not mean that they not capable of producing damaging SPL (sound pressure levels) on their own. Something to be avoided if you value your hearing, now and in the future.

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Do you believe that IEM's can damage your hearing?

I didn't use to, but I've noticed my ears feel slightly 'plugged' all the time now. I don't listen loud at all, I have the volume set to around 15/30 normally, and about 18/30 if I want more, and I only listen for around 10 hours a week. I wouldn't have thought that was excessive judging by other people's listening habits here, but I can definitely detect a change going on. It's a bit like the ear pressure you get just before landing, although not quite that intense.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't use to, but I've noticed my ears feel slightly 'plugged' all the time now. I don't listen loud at all, I have the volume set to around 15/30 normally, and about 18/30 if I want more, and I only listen for around 10 hours a week. I wouldn't have thought that was excessive judging by other people's listening habits here, but I can definitely detect a change going on. It's a bit like the ear pressure you get just before landing, although not quite that intense.

Have you cleaned your ears lately? I mean a good cleaning to remove deep wax. Kinda sounds like you have a buildup of wax...

Ply

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you cleaned your ears lately? I mean a good cleaning to remove deep wax. Kinda sounds like you have a buildup of wax...

I use cotton buds every day - and hardly anything comes out, maybe I've pushed it in???

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use cotton buds every day - and hardly anything comes out, maybe I've pushed it in???

Sounds like a winner.
280smile.gif

Cotton buds due have a tendency to push the wax instead of remove it. You could make a doctor visit or get one of the over the counter wax removal kits. You can also use peroxide...

Ply

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a winner.
280smile.gif
Cotton buds due have a tendency to push the wax instead of remove it. You could make a doctor visit or get one of the over the counter wax removal kits. You can also use peroxide...Ply

Hmm, I don't fancy bleaching my ears today
biggrin.gif
but I can get some over-the-counter stuff. Thanks for the tip, not the q-tip
rs1smile.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? You do surprise me.

Thats like having a cross-country race between a Ferrari & a Land-Rover and wondering why the Rover wins. Clue, IEMs are inherently isolating, in other words, the way they're made encourages isolation.

I've never found a good sounding IEM with the soundstage of my Circumaurals.

The HD 280 Pro does isolate as well as my IEMs, if not better. They don't sound good and the cord is long, coiled and heavy. It's too much to put in my pocket or some type of cord keeper, and it hangs down to my feet. So it's not portable, but it shows that a circumaural headphone can isolate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a dedicated Head Acoustics Artificial Head Measurement System like Tyll you could measure the SPL of of IEM's. Failing that you could try a comparative/level matching test where you match the perceived volume of the IEM in one ear, with listening to speakers using the other ear. If you can swap and not detect a change in volume, then they are level matched - then just measure the SPL of the speaker at the listening position. Since the levels are matched the SPL at the ear should be the same. (Note assumes 100% isolation so that the speaker is not reinforcing the IEM signal. If that was not the case then compare IEM's in / speakers off to no IEM, speakers On - you get the idea)

Here's my post from another thread that shows how I measured the SPL of an IEM. It's not perfect, someone suggested that the hole should be lined with a material that mimics the ear canal. It can give you some idea on the SPL though. The sound level sounds similar to what I get from the headphone method in the post above. I think the one ear test is a good one.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

The HD 280 Pro does isolate as well as my IEMs, if not better. They don't sound good and the cord is long, coiled and heavy. It's too much to put in my pocket or some type of cord keeper, and it hangs down to my feet. So it's not portable, but it shows that a circumaural headphone can isolate.

Never said they couldn't.

Its just silly to denigrate Circum-Aurals only because they don't generally isolate as well as IEMs. As well as the soundstage example, its just like bashing IEMs because they're much too small.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never said they couldn't.

Its just silly to denigrate Circum-Aurals only because they don't generally isolate as well as IEMs. As well as the soundstage example, its just like bashing IEMs because they're much too small.

I wasn't bashing circumaurals. I listen to cirumaurals 8-10 hours a day. I just need something isolating for my commute that can give my ear canals a break from the IEMs.

I commute every day on the DC Metro which has background sound levels of 90dB and higher. I need isolation so I don't damage my hearing. In fact, after finding out what the sound levels are, I'd want hearing protection even if I wasn't listening to music.
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

I wasn't bashing circumaurals. I listen to cirumaurals 8-10 hours a day. I just need something isolating for my commute that can give my ear canals a break from the IEMs.

I commute every day on the DC Metro which has background sound levels of 90dB and higher. I need isolation so I don't damage my hearing. In fact, after finding out what the sound levels are, I'd want hearing protection even if I wasn't listening to music.
biggrin.gif

Saying they're not very isolating is verging on bashing!
wink.gif

If you asked for recommendations, you'd get 90% IEM/Earbuds. The HD-25s are apparently good, most isolating 'non-IEM' its said...the dearer ones.

I nearly got some myself.

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #60 of 60
I thought my hearing had been damaged by IEM's. But recenltly was round at a freinds house and could hear this very highpitched sound - I traiced it to an ultrasonic pest control system they just installed... Both my friends could not hear it but I could... my hearing aint so bad after all lol Maybe IEM's are turning me into a bat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back