Do you believe in ghosts?
Jan 26, 2006 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I watched an hour long documentary on Discovery last night that was about a family moving into a haunted house (some place in rural Connecticut). It was pretty bizarre with some of the stuff the mother and daughter were describing; someone getting possessed, seeing books fly off the shelves, getting attacked, etc, etc. But the father, son and the two other people that were in the family didn't make an appearance. There was also a "spirit psychic" that they hired and she was on the show as well. By the end of the show I got the impression that it seemed like a pretty big hoax. (At one point they were told to photograph anything unusual in the house and one of the photos had a large white speck on one of the doors. If anyone has taken pictures in the dark in dusty or dirty areas this is dirt just magnified by the flash. But the spirit psychic insisted that, this is in her exact words was a "high level demon"
plainface.gif
)

Other than my dad I've never spoke to anyone (or remember) speaking to anyone that has had such encounter either.

My dad told me this a while back:
When he was in India he used to walk back from his medical college or hospital to his house and sometimes it would be pretty late at night, and his walk home was through a road that went through a forest. One night he claimed that he saw a ghostly figure or shape about 5 feet high about 20 feet in the air about as high as one of the trees. He continued to walk home a bit faster but he said the figure followed him back nearly the entire way back. He definetly says he thought it was a ghost.

I've never thought about wether I believe in ghosts, since I've never had any such encounter before. After the show I pondered it for a while.

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 33
ooo I like these types of stories!

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 33
I won't truly believe in ghosts until I see one or encounter one. At the same time, I feel that I am in no position to judge whether or not someone else's encounter or sighting of a ghost is real or not. So, my answer could never be no, but also may never be yes, so I guess I'm in limbo
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 33
This summer I went over to my friends house. We both went into the house through his garage. Right as we entered the house we both heard, what sounded like his mom, call his name. He looked in the kitchen then moved onto the dining room without saying anything to anyone. I thought it was a little weird so I also walked into the dining room and then looked in his parents room. I went downstairs and kind of forgot about it. Later I brought it up again and he said that no one was home that day.

Besides this, he has also heard other voices in his house and sometimes the lights flicker on and off.

Another time me and my friends were walking through a park at 2:30 in the morning. It was a small path so we were all walking in a single file line. I was in the middle. All of a sudden I hear someone yell run and the people in the front ran past me in the other direction. I looked to see what was up the path and there was a light coming/running after us. No one ever heard any yelling at us or anything and when we got out of the woods we looked back and the light was gone. We thought we had lost it until another recent trip into the woods.

It was a couple months later and we were doing the exact same trip at the same time of the night, 2:30. But this time it was a Thursday night (we had school off that day). We were walking back through the woods and everyone heard a rustling next to us. Everyone froze and then we heard a barking. We thought oh thank god its only a dog. It kept barking and the rustling came closer. The "dog" was behind a bunch of bushes so no one could ever see it but right on the other side of the bushes was a huge swamp. We started talking in fear to try to figure out what was going on. The dog sounded like it was right in front of me but I could never see it. Then we heard a voice (which sounded like it came from inside the swamp) say Its alright guys it's my dog. After that we were relieved and we tried to talk to the guy but he never responded. A couple seconds later we booked it and were out of there. I havent been back since.

It seemed pretty crazy that there would be a guy in the swamp with his dog that late at night on a Thursday. Also, both things happened at the exact same time and the same place on the path. We got pretty freaked out. Those are my "ghost" stories.

Jan 26, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 33
Great stories! Reading and collecting classic literary ghost stories is one of my hobbies.
- All the great literary ghost stories are based on the traditions of oral ghost stories. You guys have offered some very creepy ones: IMHO the most believable stories are the ones that don't make much sense. They just 'happened'.

J-Pak, I appreciate you relating the tale of your father's experience. What struck me is that the story of the appearance is very like the tales of a number of historical accounts I know of from England in the seventeenth century.

Rudyard Kipling is my favourite teller of 'literary' Indian ghost stories. "The Return of Imray" is an all-time favourite of mine. Doubtless, there are better stories from India out there if you can read Urdu, which I can't.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
I don't believe in them, but just the idea can scare the crap out of me

Scares the besqueezus out of me too. My infatuation with them must be deeply ingrained masochism.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 33
I believe that in moments of stress our psychic engergy is able to be transferred into our transitory state of existence that is locked into our time/space essence which exists in the concepts of string theory. Thus, that mental state remains an eternal "presence" that others can tune into with their instinctual fear and danger sensors. And that is what ghosts are. Or at least the best theory I can come up with over several years of considering the subject. Of course, it all depends on proving "psychic energy" which, I believe, has some grounding in scientific evidence - like those studies done at Princeton Univ where it's been shown the mind can minutely effect electronic equipment. My theory's downfall are those stories where individuals interact with ghosts, which suggests that these psychic impressions retain a reactive consciousness which is much harder to explain.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 33
I don't believe in ghosts but I do know we have ghosts inside ourselves which can manifest themselves through our sub conscience, We've all got demons within.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 33
I believe what my ears hear and my eyes see. My ears have never heard one and my eyes have never seen.

Garrett

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 33
The paranormal is one of my favorite subjects. I have loved stuff like that since I was a kid. I am something of an amateur ghost hunter myself.

For those who love ghosts, a place you have to check out is Waverly Hills located in Louisville, Kentucky. It was once a Tuberculosis hospital where something like 62,000 people died while the hospital was open (that's more people than died in the Vietnam war). At one time there were so many people dying per day that they had to build a "death tunnel" to cart out the bodies. All sorts of horrible medical experiments have gone on there.

The was a low budget movie made called The Death Tunnel that was filmed there as well as an episode of Fox's " America's Most Haunted Places" or something similar filmed there. There is also a documentary called Spooked about the place.

The Louisvile Ghost Hunting Society puts on tours there. You go at night with flashlights and tour the place. I have been on 5 of these tours and plan to spend the night there this year. Both my wife and I have both had experience that makes you question the fabric of reality, as we know it, while touring this place. I myself have seen Shadow People on 2 different occasions while touring the building (as well as many others in our group).

So here's MY ghost story:

The last time I was there we were in the hallway looking for shadow people, our guide leaned to me and said, " There's one to your left." I looked down a long hallway and told him I didn't see anything.

He said, "Look to your left. Right next to you."

When I turned and looked beside me, within arms reach, was a silhouette of a "person" against a dull gray wall. A very well difined silhouette about 6'2" (I'm 5'11") shaped like a man. There were no lights on at the time and no one was close enough to be casting this "shadow". I actually reached out and as I did the guides EMF (Electro-Magnetic Field) meter went off. When I reached out there was nothing there but the wall and the shape was gone.

No I didn't scream or freak out, but the experience did really bother men for a couple of days because I KNOW I saw something but there was nothing there. I did manage to stand there stunned for a few moments. I swear what I said is all true, and I honestly consider myself lucky to have had an experience like that

Waverly Hills is truly what you think of when you think of haunted places in its current derelict condition. No windows left in the building, run down, and vandalized. It's scary to look at. It is supposedly one of the 10 most active haunted places in the world.

Edit:
Be sure to check out the pictures taken at Waverly Hills during the ghost tours! You can see pics of Shadow people.

Jan 27, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 33
I personally do not believe in ghosts and the like, but I refuse to rule them out as a possibility. Such things do not seem entirely out of the range of possibility, though they do seem improbable.

Jan 27, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 33
I couldn't out and out deny the existence of ghosts but I've never even remotely thought that i've seen the evidence of one. I have however seen evidence of screwy people thinking al kinds of nutty things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back