Do you beleive there are Aliens on other planets ?
Jul 1, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis

Probably the one religion that makes a concerted effort to transcend our base, animal instincts and follow a more noble path.

Yeah that's EXACTLY what i like so much about buddhism..

I had a school prjoect about revenge, which comes from the basic instinct of achieving social status in a group. Buddhists can completely reject the feeling of revenge and other negative emotions.

To me, that sort of control over our animalistic instincts transponds to a whole other level of intelligence. I amagine we will have almost completely removed the animal in all of us in the future... It just seems like a natural way of evolution to me. It makes no sense to have a species that strives to destroy itself, from a darwinic point of view.

Jul 1, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #62 of 77
I just got done voting and skipping through the posts.
Here is my 2cents worth. I know there is "life" on other planets. I don't know if it is all intelligent or just amoeba. Could be both.

I have seen a UFO also, in fact it could have been 1967 as was mentioned here.

I like the Raelians idea. Anything is possible.

The Bible was written by people. It was also interpreted by other people many years later into english, under the direction of a politician, (king, politican same thing, not trustable). The church I grew up in believed the interpretation was wrong in several areas.

That's all.

Jul 2, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken

To me, that sort of control over our animalistic instincts transponds to a whole other level of intelligence. I amagine we will have almost completely removed the animal in all of us in the future...

spock.jpg

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #64 of 77
Jesus has some very Buddhist outlooks on life. In fact Christianity is very Buddhist, IF you have read the bible you would know this. IMO, Buddhism is Christianity without the God. Why ,well, it basically asks the same thing of you, do what I say and achieve Nirvanna. Bleh. I like Nietsche's outlook, do what it takes, all things are justified as long as they promote your survival. This doesn't mean **** everyone over, an intelligent person can figure out quiet easily that being trustworthy is far better for your survival in the long run.

The closest thing to noble that I can see in the world is the life of a wolf, hunt, kill, eat, reproduce, and howl at the moon. Do not think unless it is about the task at hand. Act only during a situation, plan only when acting. Do not imagine, wonder, or let your attention waver. Let the mind be quiet and waiting for stimulus, if stimulus does not come, wait. Patience, calmness, never bored, always ready. Do not create, creations will just become dirty, broken, and forgotten. The only thing you can make last forever, or as close to it as possible is your species, at least, thats the only thing you can make last forever that matters more than a hunk of turd floating through space for infinity.

Imagination, creativity, science, art, communication beyond the absolute necessity of survival, is all a danger. The perfect focused need of a wolf is the only thing that matters. Unaltering even in error, the plan first, if it doesn't work, do not wonder, maybe even do not change. Make it work. Plan only when acting and never let the plan fail. When the plan fails, do not fret, do not adapt, do not change. Make the plan work, if it works it works if it doesn't you die. Nirvanna. Adaptation is an admission of a weakness. Function as you would and if you cannot then die. Nrivanna. The wolf may try to adapt, but it cannot. The wolf may wear the clothes of a man but the "man" will always be a wolf. Adaptation confuses who you are. To adapt is to deny your essential strengths and to play upon your essential weakness. One on one a wolf beats a man but a man adapts to destroy the wolf. And then the man is tormented because the man has forgotten who he is. To deny your essential being is to deny your life. There is no noble path, the only right path is the path of the wolf, the path of being what you are, and only what you are. Plan, but do not adapt, need but do not desire. That is the only way to peace.

When you move through the world as a creature that fully understand what it is, there are never any questions, only answers. When a wolf is attacked it does not think, it acts, in acting it sets in motion a plan, if the plan fails it does not look for a solution, it acts again. Our huge mind gives us an essential advantage over the wolf, the ability to plan further ahead. The mind does not exist for science, when we have warp travel what will be different? Some of us will be lost in the universe. Will cloning bring us closer to perfection? When we fix our essential weaknesses will we not destroy our essential strengths?

By taking up arms against the wolf we are only admitting how weak and afraid we are. That is why huge totalitarian governments have always had mighty armies, because in the back of everyone one of their minds is a fear that comes from the adaptation and playing upon their essential weaknesses.

Jul 2, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #65 of 77
From a Christian perspective, I have no problem believing that this isn't the only planet God put life on... We have no reason to believe He did or didn't. He's not accountable to us and wouldn't necessarily have to tell us... So I think there probably is something else out there, created by God, that we don't know about and aren't supposed to know about. I think we may find unintelligent life out there before the end of the world, but nothing intelligent...

Jul 2, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

save your sympathy for those who need it. 900 million atheists can't be wrong!
wink.gif

You must think that I'm going to "hell," don't you?
biggrin.gif

You said it, not me.
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #68 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
The Bible is a collection of different writings, stories, and letters. Every bit of it was written by people... human beings.... imperfect beings... identical to all of the virtue and fault-ridden humans of today. God is perfect, but he did not give us a perfect, permanent record of what to do and how to do it. We must take that into consideration. Your interpretation may vary.

You are so wrong. The Bible claims for itself to be inspired. That is "God breathed". It was written by men, inspired men, who wrote what they were told to write.

Jul 2, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
From a Christian perspective, I have no problem believing that this isn't the only planet God put life on... We have no reason to believe He did or didn't. He's not accountable to us and wouldn't necessarily have to tell us... So I think there probably is something else out there, created by God, that we don't know about and aren't supposed to know about. I think we may find unintelligent life out there before the end of the world, but nothing intelligent...

Uhh ohh. A Christian perspective. And they are always right.
wink.gif

I am a "christian", and put NO LIMITS on God. Saying he created life on just this planet is pretty egocentric. I say "he" can do whatever he wants. We are probably the slums of God's creations. No. No magic creation. Why can't "god" use nature and science to do what he wants, is "he" in a rush?

God......NO LIMITS.

Jul 2, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #71 of 77
Note how the reposte to "narrowminded" becomes "moron".
We all have seen where this can lead.

Setmenu

Jul 2, 2002 at 10:04 AM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

You are so wrong. The Bible claims for itself to be inspired. That is "God breathed". It was written by men, inspired men, who wrote what they were told to write.

...and this is supposed to prove what, exactly? Shall we automatically promote the writings of all authors to legitimate status just because they were inspired? Most of today's authors, artists, and scientists are inspired to do what they do, frequently claiming a higher source to be the motivation. Does this mean their works should also be relegated to an infallible, unquestioned status?

Fact: Everything in the Bible was penned with human hands, transported by human feet, and translated by human minds. The writers may have been inspired by God, but this is not the same thing as God speaking to us directly.

None of us can prove that God has ever directly spoken to any of us, not now or at any time in human history, inclusive of all writings, works of art, archaeological discoveries, and observed scientific principles... but we're still trying, darn it.

Jul 2, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Nosferatu

I hate morons.

Hmm that's odd.. I'm not gonna get into a fight with you, but you know damn well that you are narrowminded. That's why you feel that remark of mine was aimed directly at you.

Yes. You KNOW you are narrowminded. I would also be if I didn't consider there being a god. But I do, always. And in the word "narrowminded" i mean that you have no respect of other's beliefs. Like I said, you think it's "common sense" that there is a god, and think that those who don't believe in a god don't have a reasonable common sense at all, and are "morons".

I think you are putting other christians in a bad light, stop being so hostile and protective of your belief, this is a discussion.

Jul 2, 2002 at 10:36 AM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

I hate morons.

Knock it off, sunshine.

You haven't been here long enough to start making yourself unpopular, and you will get this thread locked, spoiling what WAS an intelligent conversation before you came along.

Jul 2, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

But, it wasn't written in english. It was translated into english by people working for a king with his own agenda. They did put their own "spin" in the translation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back