Do you beleive there are Aliens on other planets ?
Jul 1, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #46 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
One more thing, slightly OT: What happens to the religions of the planet Earth when we finally have proof of life on other planets? Do they "disappear in a puff of logic" to paraphrase Douglas Adams?

markl

there is no proof of life on other planets and never will be.
your point is pointless. you guys have seen way too many movies and confuse fiction with reality. God created the universe so large and so complex that even dense people would perceive that there must be a higher power.

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #47 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Nosferatu

You have my sympathy. The bible says "the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God".

okay...your point being? Like I said before, I don't consider the Bible to be an infallable document, so that doesn't impress me one bit.

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
-Richard Dawkins

Quote:

there is no proof of life on other planets and never will be.

again, you have no basis for those claims. While I would certainly agree that there is no proof yet of life on other planets, that cannot rule out the extremely good possibility that there is life out there. Do you believe there isn't life on another world because you don't like the notion that God would have us share the universe with another race?

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #49 of 77
Quote:

No aliens out there.
You guys have grown up watching too many movies.
If you read the bible, which I doubt many of you do, you would have the answers.

sataniccouple.jpg

Not a thing about aliens in here. Now where do I find the answers? In the book of Mormon?

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

okay...your point being? Like I said before, I don't consider the Bible to be an infallable document, so that doesn't impress me one bit.

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
-Richard Dawkins

My point being, you have my sympathy. You WILL find out someday.

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #52 of 77
Quote:

My point being, you have my sympathy. You WILL find out someday.

save your sympathy for those who need it. 900 million atheists can't be wrong!
wink.gif

You must think that I'm going to "hell," don't you?
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #53 of 77
Nothing like the self-righteous smugness of a Christian who's convinced they're right, and the rest of the world are idiots for not seeing it.

They seem to have forgotten what faith is supposed to be all about...the belief in something for which you have no substantial evidence.

Jul 1, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #54 of 77
The Bible is a collection of different writings, stories, and letters. Every bit of it was written by people... human beings.... imperfect beings... identical to all of the virtue and fault-ridden humans of today. God is perfect, but he did not give us a perfect, permanent record of what to do and how to do it. We must take that into consideration. Your interpretation may vary.

It is a fact that we all have a fundamental need for a sense of spirituality. Primitive tribes, seperated from any external contact, will spontaneously invent rituals of worship. The recent film "Cast Away" lightly illustrates this need... with "Wilson" fulfilling the need as mentor/deity. Even science, that supposed "institute of evil" long criticized by the church, confirms the importance of a sense of spirituality. Scientific evidence tells us that belief is a powerful thing, capable of internally healing (or hurting) our own bodies.

It is clear that we need God. What is unclear is whether he needs us.

I don't believe it is important (or even relevant) to discuss the technical specifics of how Jonah wrote a play while trapped for days inside the belly of a giant deep-sea fish. Such things are totally irrelevant. These stories are exactly that... stories. They were created to illustrate a lesson and eventually convey a *state of mind*.

Achieving this *state of mind*, this intimate understanding of the nature of God, is the ultimate point of almost every religion. Arguing the specific differences will always result in secular logic. Think about it: If Jesus was 100% correct, then Mohammed, the Dalai Lama, and everyone else in the galaxy will die an endless, fiery, tormented death... even if they never had the opportunity to hear the Bible in the first place! Why intentionally bring a massive number of living things into existence just to sacrifice them en masse to horrific eternal torture?

Why would God intentionally inflict such massive suffering upon his own creation? If anything, he maintains a hands-off, wait-and-see policy. Otherwise, he would be responsible for all of the horrible things that happen in our world (babies who die painfully of brain tumors, AIDS, cancer, I could go on forever) and I cannot accept that the God I worship creates such mindless chaos and destruction, let alone excuses the behavior of the people who commit such evil acts. According to the Bible, a depraved serial murderer/rapist of children who lived a long life of evil can have last minute repentance and be whisked off to heaven moments before he dies, whereas a villager on a remote island who does good deeds for his family his whole life roasts eternally in hell because a missionary didn't reach him before he died. This makes no sense, and sets a VERY dangerous precedent for human behavior! If we aren't responsible for our actions, and if God will excuse anything we do so long as ask forgiveness... well... you probably figured that one out already. These are the sorts of inconsistencies introduced by man, not God.

I was raised southern Baptist, so it has been a long time in coming to admit that the Bible is not a perfect document. The Baptists have only one of a number of understandings of the spiritual realm, all flawed but all valid in a number of ways. It has been difficult to disagree with such strong cultural conditioning, but trusting my own senses tells me that I'm onto something. I'm using the Force, I guess.

It's a bumpy road to enlightenment, but the point is to get there while you are still alive to benefit and bring benefit to others. By that measure alone, the journey will have been worthwhile, whatever road may have been taken.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my telescope pointing to the sky. Someday, we will find other members of this universe who are probably working out the very same question: "Why are we here?"

Jul 1, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #55 of 77
most of you would have seen a situation probably in a game show , where the first person is told a statement topass on to the next person and so on and so on.
The point is by the 10 person this statement is so changed that everyone probably would be laughing.
Well today we are told in various religions that such and such was done or said do many 1000's of years ago.
How could something that might have been said get to our time intact
confused.gif

yet wars happen over religion's

Jul 1, 2002 at 9:50 AM Post #56 of 77
Nosferatu you are sounding really creepy now. Stop it.

To you it's really just "common sense" that there is a god.

I don't beleive firmly that there is a god. But this doesn't mean I don't have that "common sense" you have. It doesn't mean I am a more primitive being than you. Merely different.

I hate narrowminded people.

- have anyone ever read about budhism and what it stands for?? Man that's an amazing religion... They actually don't have a god or anything like that. In fact "buddha" was just the first buddhist. He represents the purity in human beings.

A true buddhist respects all religions and has a true belief in the goodness of themselves and other beings. If everyone was a budhist, there would be no wars on earth... I once interviewed a buddhist and she told me that if her daughter was killed she would not seek revenge. She would completely discard the feeling "revenge" as it approached her, and look at the situation in a totally rational way.

- But please, stop being so narrowminded. Of course I sometimes consider if there really is a god. But mostly I think there is none. Please allow me to do so.

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #58 of 77
Well, to expand the topic a bit. Not only do I think that there is/was/willbe life on other planets.........

I think "aliens" have been here before, and are here NOW. Whether they are from a different time/universe/dimension/planet I don't know.

But they are here. They could be walking among us........

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #60 of 77
if we have been visited then they almost certainly have taken from us.
people
people to get to reproduce
animals
plants
manufactured items

a little scary really
the high possibility of fellow humans possibly not knowing about earth , not knowing our language.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back