Do you beleive there are Aliens on other planets ?
Jun 30, 2002 at 5:49 PM Post #32 of 77
kelly: your mentioning of the extreme Christian theories are a great addition to this discussion. Whether people go for it or not, it could be said to be as outrageous as believing in little green men
wink.gif

That said, I will go with a far more scientific approach to the entire issue and stick with: Carl is stretching...

Two incredibly intelligent scientists wrote a book called Rare Earth (ISBN: 0-387-98701-0) by Ward and Browne. They scientifically rebut the possibility of life on other planets by describing the absolute unique nature of Earth. Divine intervention aside...this is a great and important read for anyone thoroughly interested in the subject.

Jun 30, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Mark

One (Christian-based) conspiracy theory goes something like this: the face on the planet mars was fudged by the government. Space travel, by and large, is fictional. This is because we are nearing the end times. The government is already in the employ of Lucifer. The goal is to slowly replace religion with science. Ultimately, the people will become convicned that we did not come from God by from aliens. When this begins to happen, Lucifer's demons will descend from the sky and the people will welcome them as aliens. This will signal the beginning of armageddon.

Note: These are not my views. I merely make a hobby of reading other people's extreme views.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm Roman Catholic. I'm not a strong believer in that crap, and I'm pretty sure the pope isn't either.
smily_headphones1.gif

So a couple fiction books are written. So what? These books are fiction. Nothing else, imho. People love reading about doom and gloom. That sells books.

Jun 30, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #34 of 77
I'm with Zanth on thinking scientifically about this. Are there parallel universes with alien lifeforms? I believe so. Are there other species similar to humans? Probably not.

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 77
It's arrogant to assume Earth is the one habitable planet in the universe, or that we are the one and only holders of the flame of intellect in this universe. Arrogant, but alas not an impossibility. Scary really to imagine that the universe is totally void, just a bunch of pretty bright spots. And that we are the only ones the only creatures in all the universe who look at the sky and wonder about the stars.

God terrifies me, what kind of all powerfull being goes out of his way to create an empty universe with one planet and one race of intelligent beings. Why does an all powerfull being do anything?? An all powerfull being should have no wants. No desires, the idea that an all powerfull being would be interested in us is frightening. I call into question the all powerfull beings motive.

If God was all powerfull, then he does not even have to exist. Think about it, any act, any willfull deliberation on his part and he is no longer all powerfull. Anything God does, implies effort, and effort is not a trait of being all powerfull. Seriously, I do not think we could coexist in a universe with an all powerfull being. I don't think the universe could coexist with an all powerful being. If God created the universe, then once God became all powerfull, poof, God sees beyond all things and no longer has to exist. POOF.

I've never seen an alien, I prolly never will. I hope I don't and i'd rather not meet an alien either. They probably smell weird, and I just can't handle weird smells very well. Visually, I am desensitized, thank you hollywood. But smells, I can imagine aliens smelling very strongly of popcorn, bitter popcorn, that would make me throw up.

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 77
Wow once again, some nice thoughts ai0tron. That's some powerful weed you got there.

Jun 30, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #37 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I think that there is life out there and that they have visited us in the past. There are too many unexplainable things in earths history for their not to have been visitors of some kind.

like what? what makes you say that?

Quote:

originally posted by Nosferatu
No aliens out there.

how do you know?
wink.gif

Quote:

You guys have grown up watching too many movies.
If you read the bible, which I doubt many of you do, you would have the answers.

I'm happy that you find solace in the Bible, however many people do not. I for one do not consider the Bible to be an infallable document, and have found very few answers in it.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #38 of 77
everyone is bashing my idea of intelligent aliens in the universe being similar or the same to human beings....just remember that no one believed that guy (forget his name) that thought the earth was round...
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
everyone is bashing my idea of intelligent aliens in the universe being similar or the same to human beings....just remember that no one believed that guy (forget his name) that thought the earth was round...
biggrin.gif

they're in no way the same, jlo mein.
wink.gif
For one thing, there's actually evidence for a round earth, whether or not people wanted to believe it. As far as I know, you're not backing up your beliefs with any real evidence. Besides, you still haven't answered my question about how you are defining "same."

you said The Earth is perfect for humans, but it's also perfect for fish, lizards, frogs, deer, ants, cockroaches, etc. My whole point is that the Earth wasn't designed for us, but that we were designed for the Earth. Why would we have ever evolved differently? Had the Earth been slightly different, life would have evolved in a different manner from what we see today, to reflect those changes.

So please, if possible, elaborate on why I should believe that life on other planets would need to be even remotely similar to life here.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #42 of 77
They're out there, but you don't want to know where they put their headphones.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #43 of 77
Just thought I'd tie this topic in with another that is pretty hot at the moment - that of cloning.

There exisits a 'religious organisation' called the Raelians who believe that life began on earth as a result of 'alien intervention'. I have C&P'ed a select summary of their manifesto below. The Raelian website can be found at www.raelian.org

WHAT HAPPENED?

On 13 December 1973 French journalist Rael was contacted by a visitor from an other planet, and asked to establish an Embassy to welcome these people back to Earth.

The extra-terrestrial was about four feet in height, had long dark hair, almond shaped eyes, olive skin and exuded harmony and humour. He told Rael that "we were the ones who made all life on earth, you mistook us for gods, we were at the origin of your main religions. Now that you are mature enough to understand this, we would like to enter official contact through an embassy".

THE MESSAGES

The messages dictated to Rael explain how life on Earth is not the result of random evolution, nor the work of a supernatural 'God'. It is a deliberate creation, using DNA, by a scientifically advanced people who made human beings literally in their image" what one can call "scientific creationism". References to these scientists and their work, as well as to their symbol of infinity can be found in the ancient texts of many cultures. For example, in Genesis, the biblical account of creation, the word "Elohim" has been mistranslated as "God" in the singular, but it is a plural, which means "those who came from the sky".

Leaving our humanity to progress by itself, the Elohim nevertheless maintained contact with us via prophets including Buddha, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed, all specially chosen and educated by them. The role of the prophets was to progressively educate humanity through the messages they taught, each time adapted to the culture and level of understanding at the time. They were also to leave traces of the Elohim so that we would be able to recognise them as our creators and fellow human beings when we had advanced enough scientifically to understand them.

THE EMBASSY

Now that Man has put his foot on the moon, and our scientists are creating life through the synthesis of DNA, we are finally capable of understanding our creators rationally instead of mystifying and dumbly adoring them. For this reason the Elohim have contacted French journalist Rael. They have asked him to make their final message known throughout the world and to establish an embassy for them where they will officially meet with us and our world governments.

WHY DO THEY NEED AN EMBASSY?

They are not invaders. They have shown their desire to come but they respect our choice to say no. It is up to us to invite them - and our invitation is the embassy. It's the least we can do.

Without the neutrality of an embassy, free air space and an official welcome, an unannounced and undesired landing would have enormous political, economic and social repercussions with disastrous consequences world-wide. Nor do they wish to endorse any government, religion or ideology other than that of the Raelian Philosophy, by contacting any other institution first. Thus they will only come when we build their embassy, such is their love and respect for us.

Following the extra-terrestrial's instructions, Rael established the Raelian Movement, an international organization to bring together anyone who wishes to help.

It is an atheist, non-profit, spiritual organisation; "atheist" because it demystifies the old concept of god, "spiritual" because it links us with our creators and infinity, and "non-profit" because no member gets paid any salary, not even Rael himself.

It is a completely open organization designed not to convince people, but to allow those who wish to help, to join or leave anytime.

AIMS

Its aims are:

- To inform without convincing.
- To establish the embassy.
- To catalyse a society adapted to the future.

In the message which they dictated to Rael, which he has now published as a series of books, they kindly bring us a new vision of the universe, which provides us with the keys to awakening our own potential and a series of values to revolutionise society.

This new philosophy, where spirituality and science meet, is taught at international seminars on every continent and is the final ingredient necessary to ignite a personal and global revolution of individuality, freedom, love and respect. It is already sweeping the globe and allowing humanity to transform war into peace, labour into leisure, poverty into fulfilment and money into love. The Raelian revolution is made up of people from all walks of life,
from all sexual orientations, from all races, all ages, everyone different and fiercely non conformist, turning everything they touch into fun and pleasure.

My understanding is that the Raelian's are advocates of human reproductive cloning (as opposed to therapeutic cloning). They see cloning as the pinnacle of human evolution, a feat that will herald a new phase of human existance and one which will finally unite us with our alien 'creators'.

rolleyes.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #45 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

like what? what makes you say that?

how do you know?
wink.gif

I'm happy that you find solace in the Bible, however many people do not. I for one do not consider the Bible to be an infallable document, and have found very few answers in it.

You have my sympathy. The bible says "the fool hath said in his heart, there is no God".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back