Do USB Cables matter?
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Distorted Vision

New Head-Fier
I have ordered an Aune X8 from HiFiGo.com on its way from China.

I was just wondering if the USB cable matters? I need to use a 5m USB cable.Will using an audiophile USB cable matter?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Since you need a 5m cable it may matter in the sense you want something with good shielding. I would spring for something decent. I personally use a audioquest cinnamon usb cable but I got it for a steal new otherwise I'd just buy something that has decent shielding to keep possible noise out of the system.

On that note. I vote something less than $60.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 12
"Audiophile" USB cables do affect the sound. However at 5m I can't recommend getting one.

There is an easily noteable difference between something like a Pink Faun USB interlink or an Amazon basic one.

However price difference is so huge, that you won't even consider it, if you have to ask the question in the first place.

I don't know if something affordable like an Audioquest Forest brings noteable benefits compared to an Amazon Basic cable

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Difficult to say - it depends on your source and your DAC (guessing its feeding a DAC). 5m is a goodly long USB cable, so costs will be high for a quality item. Shielding and quality plugs/terminations are what counts - think of it as a 5m RF aerial for noise to your DAC :D

How about an experiment? - get a 5m USB from Amazon Basics, then order a 5m Audioquest (or similar) from one of the stores that offers free returns within 60 days. Do a comparison, and if you don;t get any noticeable benefit, return the 'spensive cable and pocket the cash.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 12
With an proper implemented interface it doesn't matter what cable you use (basically every USB interface is implemented to spec). Either the package transmission is acknowledge or it's not. When getting near to the max spec (5m) it might depend on the cable build quality, due to crappy connectors and bad termination. Stay at 4m and be safe. Or use a hub (or a series of hubs for that matter, up to 5 I think). To dumb it down, you can't get better than a correct transmission.

The 5m max cable length is a trade-off between length and transmission speed. Basically the host has to wait 400ns after sending a package to get ACK (inter-packet delay). If USB cables are involved a turn-around time of 52ns needs to be added (52ns equals the time to send the ACK forth and back at ~70% of the speed of light aka electron speed in copper conductor). I know ipd is defined as bit-times not ns. And it's a bit more complex but that will hopefully suffice as explanation why an USB cable can't exceed 5m.
To clarify: It's not that the signal degrades, it's just how the consortium defined the protocol to be. That's why USB technically isn't the best for those kinds of transmissions. If someone is really interested: http://sdphca.ucsd.edu/lab_equip_manuals/usb_20.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 12
USB cables do differ, measurably (audiosciencereview had those for Wireworld Starlight vs Amazon Basics), however the big question is whether these differences are audible. Personally I guess with Aune any USB-certified cable will do. Better spend extra cash on analogue cables.

Dec 25, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 12
Actually you can do better without going into listening tests. You can simply snoop at the buffer between USB and I2S.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 12
The biggest advantage of 'quality' in USB cabling is in it not adding RF noise to the power and ground lines not because it might change the signal but it might depending on how the DAC is implemented allow some of that noise to pass through into the final analog conversion result coming out of the DAC due to conversion voltage reference coupling. That is if the DAC uses the USB power in any way to imply the reference voltages for conversion. Most reasonable quality DAC designs would regulate their own reference voltages and not use that of the USB power however with noise on the power coming in there are other inductive ways in which that noise is still able to couple through to the output. Thing is most USB master devices output voltage is incredibly noisy already so adding a little more via RF might not make an audible difference again all depends on how the DAC is implemented. The thing to understand really I think is how much difference in 'quality' really exists in expensive cables verses amazon basics? In my experience most of the claims of the expensive brands is just marketing BS. Cutting apart the Amazon Basics cable you will find reasonably high quality conductors and foil shielding the same as any other brand would use. I also recommend you get both and see if you can tell the difference and if not save a ton of money. Be honest with yourself about it though and maybe even have someone else plug them in and see if you can tell the one from the other blinded. Personally I would be skeptical that you can identify the more expensive cable blinded but if in your circumstances indeed you can then keeping the better one might be worth the difference in sound depending on price. But that would be a decision I would defer until you hear those differences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back