Do USB Cables Make A Difference?
Apr 2, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #31 of 36
BrainSalad:

I'm missing your point.

You've tried hundreds of cables at a very high cost - what is it you want to believe? You can't hear any difference?

And you make custom cables? They all must sound the same.

I'm lost here.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgun5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And you make custom cables? They all must sound the same.

There are plenty of good reasons to DIY cables other than sound quality.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #33 of 36
Word.

---------------------------

But the OP's review...

I had a long reply typed and edited, ready for posting, but why bother?

To paraphrase: Lots of people are wrong; more on this ... after I plug the product?

Quote:

My motto when it comes to high end audio equipment is simple, "Everything matters." There are countless arguments on the internet about whether certain parts of the audio chain really matter. There are more so-called experts trying to pass their opinion as fact and even more followers grabbing on to that opinion and spreading it like a virus. More on this whole topic to come on a later date. I briefly mentioned my everything matters motto because of the high quantity of people who believe different USB cables in an audio system do not make a difference. I can imagine their listening tests consisting of one zip cord USB cable versus another zip cord USB cable. The infamous saying "bits is bits" can be found all over the web. Without many many vocal audiophiles out there dispelling the myth, it continues to snowball. I'm happy to say Kimber Kable has created a product that melts this proverbial snowball. The very appropriately named Kimber USB.

In ya face, digital freaks! Them bits is ours now!

Clampetts-gun.jpg

We'll be takin' 'em back now, ya hear?

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that there is an upper limit on how good a USB cable can be (either it works all the time, or sometimes it is a bit flaky).

Exactly! I've found the electronics store (Best Buy etc.) "home" brand USB cables to be quite decent at times, no cutting out, good build, good length and certainly well-shielded.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, not more than $20 Canadian. Just make sure they're fully USB 2.0 compliant and you should be fine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man... this is one argument I've never understood. It is DATA being transfered. No audible analog signal... just data. How can a cable change the sound if it's not interacting with an analog signal? Either the data gets to the DAC where it is converted or it does not. SUPER TECHIES TELL ME MORE.

No need to tell you more, you've already got it dead right. Those people who say that expensive digital cable makes the sound tighter or clearer (or better in some way) are deluding themselves. The interference would need to be about 0.5v or greater to have any affect whatsoever on the zeros or ones. Any less than this is of course going to affect the quality of the 0 or 1 but not enough that a zero or one cannot be differentiated and therefore it will have absolutely no impact on sound quality when the zeros and ones are decoded back to analogue.

G

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 36
As long as they are well made it will make no difference. ever. Well made being anything off monoprice or the like. If you buy a monster hdmi/usb/toshlink you are just buying brand...which is ok, but the signal is NOT being interpretted in any way...it can not go faster...or slower...there is error correction and packet assembly in USB.

Very bad cables have poor shielding - but this is EMI - which is possible if you run terrible cables along your power lines or near open power sources like the inside of a PC.

There is nothing to AB - if the cables work - they will work always the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back