Do unused Stax headphones deteriorate?
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Resorob

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Since trying to get electrostatic speakers in the living room almost caused a divorce, I decided to follow the electrostatic headphone route. I can purchase a pair of unused boxed, Stax earspeakers the SR-207 and I wondered, do these headphones deteriorate over time even when not used? The headphones I am looking at could be 2 years old, but just as easily 6 years old. I do not know the seller, but they look brand new.

Thanks for your opinions.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 9
It depends on how they were stored. If they were kept in the box in an air conditioned room, they could last for 40 years or more. Direct sunlight is the fastest way to kill an electrostatic headphone, and for some dust and humidity aren't especially healthy either. However for Stax both of those are probably fine, they have dust shields and tend not to react too much to humidity changes. You shouldn't have much to worry about.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 9
I have a friend who bought some donated 1970s Stax Lambdas from an outdoor charity flea market type thing. They sounded awesome.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for your comments catscratch and PointyFox. The headphones seem to have been stored in their original box. So I expect/hope them to be o.k.
I made the purchase at $ 215,00 new in original box, it was old stock of a hifi store. Next week I will pick up a used SRM007TII, looking forward to that.

Nov 6, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 9
I made the purchase at $ 215,00 new in original box, it was old stock of a hifi store. Next week I will pick up a used SRM007TII, looking forward to that.
Thanks for the reactions, I purchased the NIB SR-207 and a very nice SRM007TII, despite the fact that the headphones have been in storage and unused since production, they already sound very nice, airy, way more details and positioning than I was used to and a nice bass, even if the system would not improve or play in it was money well spent :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back