Do Ultrasones Need an Amp?
Jan 13, 2008 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sine

100+ Head-Fier
Just a week ago, I bought a pair of PROLine 650s after a long search for some exciting (but warm and rich) closed cans. I got them B-stock from Headroom, so presumably they've had some burn-in time. They've grown on me since I got them, but I still find them unimpressive and only a little better than my workhorse cans (M40fs).

They seem to do well in solo, acoustic-type music, but the sound turns to a bland mush when more instruments come to the party. Incidentally they sound great with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band; an album that seems to have a lot of stereo separation between instruments and vocals.

I'm only using and E-MU 0202 USB to drive them though, so my question is - what's to blame for the "boringness" (technical term
biggrin.gif
)? Is it the cans, or is my source just not giving them what they need?

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Do they need an amp?

No...

Will they sound better with an amp?

Yes...

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they need an amp?

No...

Will they sound better with an amp?

Yes...

X2. The 2500 is more neutral. The 650 is fun. I like it for movies. Amps ALWAYS make a diffference. Providing your source is good. And it's signal is clean.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any reasonably-priced amps I should look for that pair especially well with Ultrasones? How about tube amps like the Little dot?

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 7
I lub my PL650's but they seem to have what I would describe as flange effect. With songs that were not mastered for stereo very well the flange becomes very noticeable. I don't notice this effect when watching DVD movies, or when playing well mastered music like Astrix or Dre.

Example: When I listen to Yes - Yes (album) I hear a lot of flange.

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 7
I prefer the Ultrasone with Solid State. The 650's bass would tend to runaway. Just one man's opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back