Do these headphones exist?
Nov 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

thoeny

New Head-Fier
I really l ike to listen to music as I work. I do custom tile/stone work. Most of the time I am working alone, but sometimes customers come in and want to talk. I want to listen to music, but still hear if someone speaks to me without them having to yell. I would like headphones with good sound and a mic of some kind to pick up people speaking. Then I can adjust the volume on the mic so I can hear background noises I need to, but not drown my music out. Hope this makes some kind of sense. Does this type headphone exist? I have searched, but I have only found noise cancelling headphones or those for making phone calls. Appreciate any feedback. Even if it is just to laugh at this thought. Just please don't get mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 15
I know what you mean, and I at least have never heard of one before... (definitely doesn't mean they don't exist though)

I think your best bet might be open back phones that let ambient sound in to improve the soundstage. That also means your customers might here your music a bit though...

Anyway, I think somebody else will answer this question better...

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoeny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really l ike to listen to music as I work. I do custom tile/stone work. Most of the time I am working alone, but sometimes customers come in and want to talk. I want to listen to music, but still hear if someone speaks to me without them having to yell. I would like headphones with good sound and a mic of some kind to pick up people speaking. Then I can adjust the volume on the mic so I can hear background noises I need to, but not drown my music out. Hope this makes some kind of sense. Does this type headphone exist? I have searched, but I have only found noise cancelling headphones or those for making phone calls. Appreciate any feedback. Even if it is just to laugh at this thought. Just please don't get mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you looked into Shure IEMs? The SE530 model with PTH-device might (almost) be what you are looking for. Though you would have to notice your customers arrive...

Otherwise it sounds like you need just normal open headphones like Grados or Sennheisers if you don't make too much noise working or need to think about not bothering others with your music.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 15
You have the Shure SE530PTH (push to hear) in-ear-monitors. While providing excellent isolation you can also hear the ambient noises by one quick click of the the PTH device, which infact is a mic. You could easily hear someone speaking to you with it activated. Just a matter of noticing that someone is stading beside you :p

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 15
I don't know if there is an exact match but...

I have similar sort of requirements to you and I use Goldring NS1000's in the office. Mine are to drown out some really distracting fan noise in the office.

I have also used Sony MDR-NC6 (Too uncomfortable) and Shure E2C's (too good at Isolating sound).

The Senn PXC450s have a Mic built in, but I think you need to push a button to get it to work.

The Goldrings are OK, but don't expect uber sound quality from noise cancellers.

Thinking about it, a nice set of Open headphones may be just the ticket
smily_headphones1.gif

Better sound quality and you should be able to pick up outside noises.

Try the Grado SR60 or similar.

Conks

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 15
My opinion is that you should get the most isolating headphones possible, then set up a sort of bell system.

perhaps a button that blinks a strategically placed light bulp saying "press to get my attention".

or a basket of pebbles to chuck at you
tongue.gif

you have more than your sense of sound in which to be alerted of a customer's presence.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 15
The PXC 450, PXC 310 (and PXC 310 BT) and MM 450 all feature the talkthrough function, which allows you to monitor outside noise.

The PXC 450 lets you customize the level that your background music plays at while Talkthrough is engaged. Its mics are tuned for speech as well. You can listen with/without noise cancelling and with/without talkthrough engaged as well.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have the Shure SE530PTH (push to hear) in-ear-monitors. While providing excellent isolation you can also hear the ambient noises by one quick click of the the PTH device, which infact is a mic. You could easily hear someone speaking to you with it activated. Just a matter of noticing that someone is stading beside you :p

PTH is the first thing I thought of as well. You could just get the module itself and hook up whatever earphones you want. However, it is a push-to-hear feature so it won't constantly pick up background noises - only when you press the button.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 15
So they do exist, but might as well stay in my imagination. Some of those are way out of my budget. But the PTH module might work. If I use it with some open headphones, I will be able to hear when someone needs something. Then can talk to them. Thanks for the feedback. Ideally I would just use speakers, but not everyone on the job likes to hear it. So I need headphones.

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 15
Shouldn't you take your headphones out when speaking to customers? It's a matter of courtesy, I think (although I don't know your situation). Something to consider before you spend your money.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #13 of 15
Well it is not just customers I would like to hear. I do work around other people at times and for a 15 second conversation I would not need to remove them. Sometimes the painter or another person working there just needs to know when they can get in that area to work. Or sometimes we just chat for a bit. You know how are you, fine, you? etc. But absolutely I do not wear headphones while talking to a customer. Another option I may look into is using headphones that are loud enough to wear around my neck and still be able to hear. Then normal conversation would be just normal.

Dec 4, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #14 of 15
I have the Sennheiser PXC 450 and so far they have worked perfectly for me, although the situation in which you would use these headphones seem pretty unique. I tend to agree with yumigator and thoeny. I wouldn't be speaking to a customer with headphones on, but if you and your customers are fine with that, I would strongly recommend the Sennheiser PXC 450.

And to The Delivery Man,
Any suggestions where I can find a reasonably-priced, brand new set of Sennheiser PXC 310 BT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back