Do the World Cup horns (vuvuzelas) irritate you or not?
Jun 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #62 of 78
How about a compromise and have a vuvusela competition at half time only? The winner is the person who shoves one the furthest up, I mean blows theirs the loudest.

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #63 of 78

Quote:
Cultural heritage? Wow! What a stretch.

Plastic horns with a history dating from 2001. What's stretching?

Quote:
How about a compromise and have a vuvusela competition at half time only? The winner is the person who shoves one the furthest up, I mean blows theirs the loudest.

Yes. I'd even be for taking the measurements in centimeters. As an American, I hope you recognize that is  a huge gesture of oneness on my part.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #68 of 78
Quote:
Translation, taking out the hyperbole.

Woman gets sore throat. World inexplicably gives a damn.

"The bizarre injury is the first known vuvuzela-related accident since the World Cup kicked off last week."

Which implies that there has been at least one vuvuzela-related accident prior to this World Cup. Brainstorm, people 
biggrin.gif

Probably should have quoted Fido2, but screw it.

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #70 of 78

Some English friends of mine assure me that the noise the horns make is nothing compared to when every football fan in England used to go to a match with a Rattle.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #71 of 78
I'd say there's quite a difference between the spirited chanting and singing which most nations engage in and the sound of swarming hornets which S.A. seems to like.  Ban them.

As for the idea posted earlier that we're trying to meddle in Africa's affairs and that we should have gotten past this:  Seriously?  When there are only a few countries in the cup with this "cultural tradition" who are ruining the games of the other two dozen countries, I would think it would be a matter of common courtesy not to make loud noise for the entire length of the game.  I can see letting the celebration carry you away when you win or score a goal, but why does it have to be constant?  As far as I know there is no cultural tradition in Africa of blowing your vuvuzela at all hours of the day and night.  Just the opinion of a former oppressor though.

Cheers,
Zach

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #72 of 78
I am used to them now and will find matches too quiet from now on.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #73 of 78
They look really fun to blow. Whenever the camera zooms in, everyone seems to having a whale of a time, putting quite a lot of effort and lung power in.

The noise doesn't bother me. It's all miscellaneous crowd noise! Whistles, screaming, horns, drums, "singing":

Whooarrhowwwarroooo Ennnngaaaalaaaaand Hoooerrrraaauuuuuu Aannddd aaooorrrauuuuwhoooeeerrrr, England!

Much better.

wink_face.gif

EK

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #74 of 78
I actually don't mind them. The reason? There are no more shouting hooligans (or at least you can't hear them any more) chanting (offensive) slurs.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #75 of 78
^ Singing is one of the best things to create a good vibe in the stadiums. I voted "yes".

Question to whoever used a vuvuzela. What is the fun? What makes you want to blow on it the whole game long? I don't get it!!
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back