Do the World Cup horns (vuvuzelas) irritate you or not?
Jun 17, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #31 of 78
At first I thought I was having a hearing problem or my headphones were broken, then I realized what it was.

I'm for banning them, it's a little too much in my opinion.  Maybe it wouldn't be such a big problem if they weren't out in force.  It's like if someone was constant blowing a fog horn or something to that effect constantly.

At least we know they have good lungs :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #32 of 78
If the things actually put out an spl of 127db then they should definitely be banned for health considerations. As for watching games on TV, they do get on one's nerves to a degree. Since someone is constantly blowing them during a game, the sound never really ends. It's sort of like a perpetual static, with variations in intensity corresponding to shots on goal.

Jun 17, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #34 of 78

Quote:
For various reasons, I think it would be foolish to ban them from the games (mainly the 'cultural heritage' aspect), but they do sound bloody awful. There have been various conversations about using filters to block the noise, and various prattling morons saying 'it'd be totally impossible, it would sound unnatural'. More unnatural than a swarm of bees watching the game? I think not.

The obvious solution (at least for the viewer at home) would be to apply the filter, but ONLY to the microphones picking up crowd noise. It wouldn't be 100% effective, but it would at least cut down on the drone. Then the commentators' voices could be added to the mix AFTER the filter has been applied.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Cultural Heritage in a Plastic horn,you have got to be joking.

Jun 17, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #35 of 78
Besides the sound being quite annoying, I miss the crowd anticipating and reacting to the players on the pitch.

I Think the picture posted by Bob_McBob says it all:

However, banning them however goes too far IMO

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #36 of 78
Greece are playing Nigeria at the moment and I was in the back garden hanging up washing when I realised I could hear the distant sound of the vuvuselas coming from houses around us and the pub nearby. It is a hot day and people have their windows open. Boy the sound carries!

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #37 of 78
I'm surprised people are still up here watching - they never seem to watch anything football other than Korean games - ever. But after a brutal upset (a natural progression, really), Korean fans are still looking for real, non-partisan footbal.

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #39 of 78
I vote yes because they are loud enough to cause hearing damage, not because they are annoying.  The argument that they should be banned because they are annoying to the TV-watching public or to the players seems rather spoiled and disconnected to me.  How long will it be before the rest of the world stops dictating what Africans should be doing?  I thought we were progressing, but the vuvuzela "debate" seems to illustrate otherwise.
I am in support of a quieter vuvuzela, for the safety of spectators who don't have access to earplugs. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #41 of 78

Quote:
I vote yes because they are loud enough to cause hearing damage, not because they are annoying.  The argument that they should be banned because they are annoying to the TV-watching public or to the players seems rather spoiled and disconnected to me.  How long will it be before the rest of the world stops dictating what Africans should be doing?  I thought we were progressing, but the vuvuzela "debate" seems to illustrate otherwise.
I am in support of a quieter vuvuzela, for the safety of spectators who don't have access to earplugs. 

I agree, but I don't think that health and safety have pervaded South African society as they have here in the UK. I am sure they would be stopped here.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #42 of 78
I voted Yes... They are very irritating ! But the main reason I want them to get banned is not for the people who watch on TV, it's for the people that are there... And I think it irritates the players too... That's the most serious about this noise, the players gets distracted...

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #43 of 78
Having been track side at some football matches, the volume for players on the pitch can be incredible, even without horns blaring away. Some countries such as Italy often have drums and horns blaring away, so they will be more used to it than say the England players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back