Do the Portapros work well with the iPod?
Mar 14, 2007 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
I am trying to find a simple "iPod kit" for easy travel, meaning one good set of headphones that covers the bases. I have tried out all my current phones and have discovered the pedestrian KSC-75's work great but the clip-on style can be a bit of a nuisance. The jury is still out for me if I want earbuds to fill this role, the only ones that seem to be truly effective are the CX300's, seeming blanced and offer some isolation.

I understand the Portapros use the same driver. It's been a long time since I heard these cans, but I remember they had solid bass - how do they handle classical music? Are they something that offers balanced sound?

Mar 14, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbaldguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they something that offers balanced sound?

I'm a huge fan of the PortaPros. For $40, I haven't found anything else that comes close to them. The bass is solid, and yes, I find the overall presentation to be pleasingly balanced.

I should point out that some others prefer the Sennheiser PX-100s. They have a folding, hinged headband and a plastic hard-case that protects them when not in use. I had a pair, and while I thought they were good, I did not think that they were as good as the PortaPros. Others do speak more highly of them, so you might want to give them a shot.

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 7
id agree with trying the new px-100's. the portapros should be more bass heavy and not as clear for classical music... (reading from this forum)

plus, the px-100's look better too :p

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 7
PortaPros work great with the iPod. One thing I'll say, though, is that as soon as I started using my full-size Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s with the iPod, I noticed a very substantial increase in battery longevity. This shouldn't be the case, but it is. The PortaPros are very easy to drive in terms of volume and sound quality, but in my experience they really use up some power in the process.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PortaPros work great with the iPod. One thing I'll say, though, is that as soon as I started using my full-size Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s with the iPod, I noticed a very substantial increase in battery longevity. This shouldn't be the case, but it is. The PortaPros are very easy to drive in terms of volume and sound quality, but in my experience they really use up some power in the process.

This is because both of those headphones have roughly equal voltage sensitivities, and the Beyers have a higher nominal impedance than the Porta Pros. Remember, the lower the headphone impedance, the greater the current required in order to maintain equal perceived volume level for a given voltage output.

Mar 14, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is because both of those headphones have roughly equal voltage sensitivities, and the Beyers have a higher nominal impedance than the Porta Pros. Remember, the lower the headphone impedance, the greater the current required in order to maintain equal perceived volume level for a given voltage output.

Thank you for the explanation. I am going to go right ahead and say that I think the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 is the "ideal" iPod headphone then. Wonderful headphones for a home system, and sound pretty much as good driven directly from an iPod (no amp required). While PortaPros sound good, they certainly can't hold a candle to the Beyers. Finally, even though the Beyers are considered full-size headphones, they are remarkably compact and portable.

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Another vote for the Portas. Excellent sound PLUS (and this is a pretty big plus for portable use) a lifetime warranty!

On the other hand, I'm going to pick a pair of JBL 220s for portable use. I love my Portas but they don't fit under a bike helmet
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back