Do the OPA627 change sound to the britter
Jul 14, 2007 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fc911c

500+ Head-Fier
side as they burn in, or is it my imagination?

Thanks
Frank

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 10
Regarding brightness I find them neutral. Maybe you've got used to dark and veiled sounding op-amps? OPA627 is neither dark, nor veiled but laid-back and lifeless IMHO. Try OPA604 or AD8065 instead if you don't like OPA627.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 10
I tried the OPA627 in my Pimeta, M³, and my Silverstone EB01 and I found them too bright for my tastes. I went back to the AD8610/8620.

I have since sold all of my OPA627/637 opamps because after trying them a few times I just couldn't see that I would use them.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Hmmm

Did they become britter or did they start out that way? Because they sounded fine yesterday and after an over night burnin they sounded way too bright today. The other thing was, and I will never do again, is I burned in my new GS1000 at the same time. So I am wondering which got britter or maybe a combo of both.

I guess the 627's are a good candidate for my HD650. And by the way my 650's sounded much better today than yesterday with the 627's.

man this is work LOL but fun

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the OPA627 in my Pimeta, M³, and my Silverstone EB01 and I found them too bright for my tastes. I went back to the AD8610/8620.

I have since sold all of my OPA627/637 opamps because after trying them a few times I just couldn't see that I would use them.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 10
you got to love it, two completely oppisite veiws on the same chip, could they both be wright or wrong. LOL too each his own. I guess there are so many variables its hard to really say.

thanks for the input guy's

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding brightness I find them neutral. Maybe you've got used to dark and veiled sounding op-amps? OPA627 is neither dark, nor veiled but laid-back and lifeless IMHO. Try OPA604 or AD8065 instead if you don't like OPA627.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 10
In general I say no, the opamp does not burn in. If running the amp for extended periods, it may heat a slight bit and that may change the properties of the subcomponents on the die, but otherwise a brighter sound is "often" attributed to the newness of the amp, that the capacitors do reform upon initial use or after having been left uncharged for a long time.

OPA627 is not a particularly bright opamp, generally it is described as somewhat detailed but still subdued in the BB kind of way. IF all else is correct, you should not find it too bright in an absolute sense, but whether your amp circuit it is in, or the cans being driven are too bright from a neutral driving stage, is a whole other issue.

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 10
No the opa627/637 does not get brighter in time in my experience. The opa627 sounds smooth and detailed with excellent bass and the opa637 is even better. Imo the opa637 has the least flaws in the sound of all op-amps I've heard and is pretty close to an all-discrete design. To say that the opa627 is brighter than the ad8610 sounds completely ridiculous to me. The ad8610 is nice but seriously lacks in the lower bass quantity and body compared to the 627 which makes it sound a bit airier and brighter.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 10
noted thanks score 3 to 1

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by fc911c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you got to love it, two completely oppisite veiws on the same chip, could they both be wright or wrong. LOL too each his own. I guess there are so many variables its hard to really say.

thanks for the input guy's

Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general I say no, the opamp does not burn in. If running the amp for extended periods, it may heat a slight bit and that may change the properties of the subcomponents on the die, but otherwise a brighter sound is "often" attributed to the newness of the amp, that the capacitors do reform upon initial use or after having been left uncharged for a long time.

OPA627 is not a particularly bright opamp, generally it is described as somewhat detailed but still subdued in the BB kind of way. IF all else is correct, you should not find it too bright in an absolute sense, but whether your amp circuit it is in, or the cans being driven are too bright from a neutral driving stage, is a whole other issue.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo the opa637 has the least flaws in the sound of all op-amps I've heard and is pretty close to an all-discrete design. To say that the opa627 is brighter than the ad8610 sounds completely ridiculous to me. The ad8610 is nice but seriously lacks in the lower bass quantity and body compared to the 627 which makes it sound a bit airier and brighter.

x2. BTW, try AD825, if you haven't done so far.
wink.gif
It's not expensive and maybe you will change your mind regarding OPA637 supremacy?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. BTW, try AD825, if you haven't done so far.
wink.gif
It's not expensive and maybe you will change your mind regarding OPA637 supremacy?
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually haven't tried the AD825 yet so thanks for the tip. They only seem to be available in smd package though so I'd need some browndogs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back