Do the Koss KSC75s still set the standard?
May 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

buffpants24

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't been here in a while. I used the KSC75's for about four years and really enjoyed them, but when one channel suddenly stopped working a couple of weeks ago the engineer inside me attempted to repair them. I think the problem was a short near the voice coil, but when I realized they were beyond repair I decided to just take them apart and see how they work. I wanted to kick myself later when I remembered they came with a lifetime warranty, but it was too late to send them in because they were already disassembled. My question: are the KSC75s still the best budget headphones around? I know they were discontinued, but they're still all over the interwebs.

Thanks

May 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 4
The interwebs eh? Possible homage to TJ 30 Rock? 

Back on topic though, the KSC75, with the Kramer mod, are good for their price range...For $15, you aren't going to do much better, though Koss Portapros are supposedly solid performers as well ($25-30), though I've only heard the KSC75s. If you were happy with them for 4 years, you're still going to be very happy with them now. If you didn't do the Kramer mod, which is essentially just making the holes in the plastic piece larger, do it this time and you'll like them even more. Of course, others take it further by recabling and such, but that's another topic...

I say go for them again, at $15 you cannot go wrong. 

May 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 4
the product is under lifetime warranty. It cost 15 bucks. Look, not many stuff gets lifetime warranty at that price. So, get it.

May 11, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 4
I know I'll be happy with them, but I was just wondering if anything better had come along. Guess not. I gave the Kramer mod a try when he first created it, but they turned out a little too bright so I gave that pair to my cousin and picked up another pair. Since I have an extra pair of unmodified plastic grilles now, I'll try the mod again and just switch back to stock if I don't like the results. This time I'll leave the holes near the center alone since the higher frequencies tend to radiate from the center of the cone.

Anyone else have any input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back