Do the k601's have similar characteristics of the k701?
Apr 13, 2008 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something airy and detailed, smooth, with tight bass that hits reasonably hard/fast..
I find my current setup to feel too heavy and sluggish especially in the upper-bass/lower-mids, and almost feels like everything is resonating as if in a small chamber.
My music collection is pretty diverse - equal amount in.. classical(solo), metal, rock, vocals/blues/pop, some jazz.. Not too much electronica/techno though..

One thing I noticed getting decent headphones - Little squeaky sound when a finger slides across the string.. the gutty crack of the resin as it digs into the string, steady breathing and the fingers tapping on the finger board.. all things I really appreciate in a recording.

I know it's kind of stupid, but I can't see myself wearing that ipod/(toilet-bowl white) as someone mentioned.. and also financially, the k601's are easier on my pockets.
The dt880's are also an option - I'm tempted to get a tube amp LDMK2/3, figaro, D1 maybe)
I heard the k601's sound better with a solid state - Are there any suggestions in the 100-200 range? M^3 and portables are all I can think of.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 4
What is your current set up, may I ask?

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Denon AH-D1000's and a auzentech Prelude atm.
I take it that the sound card won't drive the k601 or dt880 particularly well, which is why I'm purchasing a entry-level amp as well.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 4
I've not read anything on the sound signature of Denon's in general, let alone that model, but the K601 is a long distance away from sounding resonated in a small chamber.

I would definitely agree with airy, smooth, and tight bass. As for detail, it really depends on what you're expecting. The K701 and DT880 are said to have an edge on this, but I can in no way be sure by how much. Whilst a lot of the music I listen to isn't of the type or quality where you can nit-pick details (besides the fact the X-Fi is no killer for high quality sound), of that which is I notice the details in some form on my HD497 and K81, but the K601 tends to have more definition in those details. Guitar string squeaks have a little more vibrance and impact, and things like drum sticks hitting solid objects sound that bit more like they are bouncing off rather than simply just colliding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back