Do the HD650's bring better comfort to the table?
Jul 8, 2004 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SumB

500+ Head-Fier
Are they more comfortable than the HD600's; in particular the headband? With the HD600's the spaced apart pads leave my head feeling raw, and I find myself shifting the headband back and fourth until I can wear them no longer. Would the HD650's do the trick or should I just give up?

Jul 8, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 17
I have found the hd650s really comfortable so far, but I guess every head is different
600smile.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 17
I've only worn the HD 600/580 briefly, but FWIW I noticed no differences in comfort, really. Still, I felt they were plenty comfortable, though no match for my A900.

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 17
For me, the HD580/600/650 are the most comfy cans I've ever felt...well, besides the Sont MDR F1. But as for the difference in comfort btwn the 600 and 650, there isn't much of a diffference except that the pressure feeling (if you have such a pressure feeling) of the head pads is a bit more evenly disspersed because of the one pad throughout the whole top of the headband itself....as opposed to the four pads on the HD600. I don't know, maybe your troubles might be solved?? Unless your head is huge, I can't see how anyone would find these phones uncomfy??? But I guess I don't know because I don't have that kind of particular head.
smily_headphones1.gif
I just think it feels like you're wearing couches on your head....and I looooooooooove couches.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 17
My HD600s are older but feel better than my new HD650s (a few days old so no big panic). I hope it's just the time needed to relax the headband a little that is different. For real comfort the HD590s are lighter and I feel I could wear them far longer than either the HD600 or 650.

Jul 8, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 17
My 580/600/650s are almost fungible physically; same weight and cup/band design (albeit with small differences in materials/weight). I find them very comfortable, but maybe that's just my head. Dr. Meier used to have suggestions for positioning headphones on your head (essentially down and forward) which are well worth reading and (for me) following. Meier Audio is a Head-Fi sponsor with a link on most Head-Fi pages. Maybe these suggestions will change your comfort as well.
600smile.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 17
I think the headband pad is a little more comfortable on the HD-650 than the 600. However I think both the models are very comfortable to begin with. I'm thinking about replacing the headband pad of the 600 with the one that the 650 uses.

My one week old 650's are starting to loosen up, so I'm beginning to lose the head clamp feeling.

Don't forget the speaker housings will toe in and a little. New phones might be stiff enough that you will need to manually toe them in and out to get more comfort, and as I discovered a little better sound. Note quite the same as K1000's though regarding the toe in and toe out adjustment k1000:

All in all I'm really enjoying the better bass of the 650's over the 600's. Did you know reggae music has a bassline
basshead.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 17
I just upgraded to the HD650 from a HD600, and from the initial few hours of usage, I must say the Senns are more uncomfortable than the Grados I used.. in my experience..
eek.gif

Maybe I am the first person to say this..
biggrin.gif
, but it is true in my case.. I almost ended up with a headache last night.. aah, the dreaded Senn 'vice grip'..
600smile.gif

Jul 8, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 17
I find neither the HD600 nor the HD650 very comfortable, especially compared to Beyerdynamic's x31, AKG's x01 or Sennheiser's new xx5 range. I anyway have to admit that I never owned the HD600 or the HD650. It has been stated several times that they become more comfortable as the headband loosens after a while. But I'm skeptical that this will be enough in order to reach the same level of comfort that many AKG and Beyer phones offer.

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 17
I find the clamping force of the HD600 a bit much, but they stretch out after a week or so of use. The headband of the 600 seems more comfortable to me since it has four pads on top for comfort, while the 650 only has two.

Try taking the headband out a notch or two on both sides, then let the ear pads hold the cans in place and relieve some pressure on the headband. This should make them more comfortable, just make sure you don't take them out too much and they end up falling off your head.

Jul 8, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 17
I find them about equally comfortable. Just a little too tight at first but after they loosen up they're both good for me.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
I just upgraded to the HD650 from a HD600, and from the initial few hours of usage, I must say the Senns are more uncomfortable than the Grados I used.. in my experience..
eek.gif

Maybe I am the first person to say this..
biggrin.gif
, but it is true in my case.. I almost ended up with a headache last night.. aah, the dreaded Senn 'vice grip'..
600smile.gif

You know I feel the same way once the Grado pads soften up a bit. The funny thing is I didn't have any issues like this when I had the HD545's, and after about two years I think it's safe to say the HD600's aren't going to loosen up any. My head isn't large either in case anyone was wondering...

I may give the HD650's a try anyway, but it looks someone's going to be rejoining team Grado (probably a good thing I have that Gilmore coming)
rs1smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SumB
I may give the HD650's a try anyway, but it looks someone's going to be rejoining team Grado (probably a good thing I have that Gilmore coming)
rs1smile.gif

Looks like I might beat you in the race back to the camp..
rs1smile.gif

I am getting my beloved SR-225 back !!

Go Grado !!

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 17
The HD650 has a better headband; the earpads and head pressure are otherwise identical. The headband has a little notch at the top center so that people with v-shaped heads (for example, me) can use them for longer periods of time without fatigue.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back