do the Etys need burn-in?
Mar 12, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
I don't suppose they gave any explenation as to why, besides of course their all knowledgable stating it?

Two possibilities occur to me; the first is that the B/A drivers simply do not respond as dramatically to burn in as dynamic ones, and therefore a gradual burn-in as you use them is acceptable; The second would be that Etymotic's extensive testing of driver performance during the manufacturing process means that the headphones have already had burn-in when they reach the customer.

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 25
I would suspect that the former is what is the case, I am not a believer in burn-in myself by the way. I don't disbelieve it, I just have never been able to convinsingly prove it to myself. I would dissuspect the latter option becuase I would be doubtfull that every headphone they produce is played at the factory for a long enough time to do a "burn-in," it just doesn't strike me as something a manufacturer would do in the manufacturing process, seems too costly and time consuming, however that is pure speculation.

Mar 12, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #18 of 25
It seemed to me that the soundstage of the ER4S opened up, the bass filled in and the highs lost their edge and clarified beautifully after about a week of use. During the first few days, some of the biggest improvements came during overnight periods of playing music through them while I was not listening, so I don't think it can all be attributed to my ears adapting, through I'm sure that the ear/brain adapting to the sound played its part. Bottom line: to my ears, the sound of the ER4S improved substantially after playing music through them for about 140 hours. It is entirely expected that other people will hear things differently.

Mar 12, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 25
sbulack, you say that the bass on the ER-4S "filled in." I am interested in a little more clarifiaction on that. What would you describe the bass impact, quality & extension as both before and after the burn-in period. Also you say that the highs both became less edgey and clarified after the burn-in process. How clear do you consider the highs to have been and to be now?

bobeau, I fear that you are correct; however, in the context that they are used in these forums I think that they are very similar. Perhapse some headphones "need" to be burnt-in to reach their full potential which would in fact mean that the soundquality would benefit from the process.

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
bobeau, I fear that you are correct; however, in the context that they are used in these forums I think that they are very similar. Perhapse some headphones "need" to be burnt-in to reach their full potential which would in fact mean that the soundquality would benefit from the process.

I agree, just wonder what Etymotic's stance is; esp. if they feel their headphones sound great from the outset they are likely not going to recommend burning in for XX hours before listening. Also I can't imagine it's in their best interest to market this. To the folks out there who aren't fanatic about this stuff (non Head-Fiers) it might not be something they want to hear. Or would even notice regardless.

But Etymotic still is rather a small business so maybe they do mean from a pure full potential standpoint - no burn-in necessary.

That said honestly I can't say I've noticed any significant Ety burn-in. OTOH, with my Portaphile amp at around the 30-40 mark something pretty significant began to take shape.

Mar 13, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Did your Etymotics improve in bass and treble as well or some other propertys?

It seems like the bass has improved with time.

This could be purely psychological. Or, it might have something to do with learning to get a better seal with additional use.

In any event, I like the Etys now more than ever!

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
I second that, cannal phones use a different type of "speaker" called an armature. The don't require a burn-in.

This information seems to be incorrect as Etymotic Research products use a Dynamic Single Driver type configuration.

I am interested in this topic as I have recently purchased the Etymotic Research ER•4P earphones. While I have no prior experience with the ER•4P earhones, I would like to see more responses on the break in period as it relates to Etymotic Research earphones. In my experience with Grado headphones I have observed two changes in character-- the first at forty hours of usage and the second at over 200 hours. In evaluating the earphones I feel that it is important to have an understanding of possible sound changes that may occur with usage.

Mar 22, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #24 of 25
I dun think is the drive that needs to burn in.. cause it is so tiny.... i guess it is the silicon use... after sometime the silicon gets soft and more comfortable with better seal thus it sound better..

Mar 23, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by iDesign
This information seems to be incorrect as Etymotic Research products use a Dynamic Single Driver type configuration.

as far as i'm aware, both the er6/6i and the er4 series use balanced armature drivers. the shure e2c uses a single dynamic driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back