do the Etys need burn-in?
Mar 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

markychas

Head-Fier
just got the E4p to use with my Sony DE-J2000 walkman and on the 1st day I'm getting a great seal with the foam-tips.
Do the Etys need burn-in like the full-size phones do?

Mar 11, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 25
I second that, cannal phones use a different type of "speaker" called an armature. The don't require a burn-in.

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
I second that, cannal phones use a different type of "speaker" called an armature. The don't require a burn-in.

They might they are almost the same. Look here at the bottom of the page.

http://earplugstore.com/inearfaq.htm

Mar 11, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
They might they are almost the same. Look here at the bottom of the page.

http://earplugstore.com/inearfaq.htm

actually they're not the same... here's a schematic of a balanced armature driver, lifted from another thread:

attachment.php

yes, the principle of moving air to create soundwaves is the same... but all drivers do that.

i didn't notice burn-in with my ety er4p. the wives' tale i've heard is that the armatures are too small to physically loosen up.

Mar 12, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
the wives' tale i've heard is that the armatures are too small to physically loosen up.

And it is exactly that, bs. The drivers work almost the same... Look at the diagram, the only difference is how the magnet and coil is arranged. Whether or not the etys burn in I can't say, but what I can say is that saying no because of the driver type is utterly baseless.

jesse

Mar 12, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 25
If theres no physical change then surely there must a pretty big psychological change, because I'm pretty sure my ER6i has better bass and treble response than when I first got it a few months ago.

Mar 12, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by markychas
just got the E4p to use with my Sony DE-J2000 walkman and on the 1st day I'm getting a great seal with the foam-tips.
Do the Etys need burn-in like the full-size phones do?

Most likely, there will be a noticeable improvement in the sound over the first week or so you use them. It will be even more noticeable if these are your first canalphones. I have noticed this 'burn in' with both the sony ex71 and shure e2c. Interestingly, I did not notice any change with my westones, which I purchased used. Is it psychological? Absolutely. Is it physical also? Could be, might not be, but there is no harm in burning the drivers in, so I don't see what all the fuss is.

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
And it is exactly that, bs. The drivers work almost the same... Look at the diagram, the only difference is how the magnet and coil is arranged. Whether or not the etys burn in I can't say, but what I can say is that saying no because of the driver type is utterly baseless.

jesse

Almost as beseless as assuming that they who stated the burn-in process is different because of the driver type don't have any knowledge besides speculation? Me thinks this is also a posibility. I will wait for something a little more...concrete than this threads speculation to make my conclusions more solidified.

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

If theres no physical change then surely there must a pretty big psychological change, because I'm pretty sure my ER6i has better bass and treble response than when I first got it a few months ago.

Maybe it's pschological, but it seems like my Ety's have improved over time.

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnagel
Maybe it's pschological, but it seems like my Ety's have improved over time.

Did your Etymotics improve in bass and treble as well or some other propertys?

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 25
I think it's more psychological than anything else. And I definitely think the effect is greater when one is getting acclimated to a completely different sound signature. When I first got my ER-6i's, it took a solid week of constant use to start falling in love with the sound. When I upgraded to the ER-4P, however, I loved them from the onset and after several weeks of constant use, I haven't really noticed a drastic change in sound. On my KSC-75 I have definitely sensed greater impact on the low end and the recessed mids open up a bit after a month of constant use, so I definitely have heard a more substantial difference with full-size phones than with the Ety's.

Either way, whether the effect on canalphones is psychological or not, it doesn't hurt to give them some time to warm to your ears or vice versa.

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
I e-mailed Etymotic about burn-in a while back, and they said that their products do not need burn-in.

I don't suppose they gave any explenation as to why, besides of course their all knowledgable stating it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back