Do The Beats by Dr. Dre really have a built-in amp?
Aug 16, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 28
Yes, there is an amp for the beats, just lke in the Bose QC1. Having said that, my QC1 run about 100 hours from 1 battery. Never fly without QC1!

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 28
I was just doing my Youtube rounds; telling those unboxing or reviewing Bose, Beats and Skullcandies that they suck, check out head-fi etc... anyway I came across this and found it quite interesting... seems Best Buy employees have to take classes to learn about the Beats...

"I work at Best Buy store 807 and we took classes and demo's on the science behind this product, and the included batteries are to amplify the current sound from the speakers in side the headphones. The big bass sound you get from the headphones is achieved by putting in larger speakers, thus resulting in lower frequencies, in turn providing deeper, richer bass. At the same time, the large speakers require more power than what can be drawn from a 3.5 MM jack."

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 28
I think they would be shocked at how much current you can draw from a 3.5mm jack. I'm guessing 1kA or so, briefly. It would be fun to test, it would make a nice little bang, with glowing chunks dribbling out afterward.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 28
Just wanted to second the previous posts that all active-noise-canceling headphones have some sort of internal amplification. You notice the difference when switching the noise-canceling circuitry on and off and you notice the infamous hiss that you get with these kinds of headphones. While I've noticed that the sound quality is usually negatively affected with the noise-canceling circuitry turned on, I find that the sound improves on my PXC 300's when I have the noise-canceling turned on. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with the fact that the noise-canceling system is not built in to the headphone but housed in an external component...

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares? They still suck.

Yes, I know that comment doesn't help anyone...

That begs the question: What does Dr. Dre M.D. really use in the studio?
__

I think there are also Studio Monster Beats--saw them on guitar center website--so perhaps he uses those!
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #21 of 28
He actually uses Sony brands I hear. Lol.

Please stay away from the Dre Line. They are 200$ more expensive than they should be. I own $100 cans that sound much nicer and dont need batteries or an amp. I respect the beats for being powerful cans that were designed for comfort and mp3 player usage...however they are just a massive ripoff, worse than the Bose. That doesnt mean they are bad cans though, they are nice. I wouldnt pay over $80 bucks for em'. The ATH es7s sound nicer and they go for like 75-100$ new lol.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 28
I have owned the Beats now for several months and I do not regret my purchase. I use them primarily with my Meizu M6 and the sound EQ'd is excellent for the genres of music that I listen to. I know the Beats are not very well liked around here but a lot of people seem to have an opinion about them and they haven't spent any real time with them or better yet they haven't heard them at all. I cannot verify if they have an internal amp or not but they are plenty loud and do not distort unless you are playing at EXTREMELY high volumes. I would call them easily driven and I like to carry as little equipment as possible on the go so its great not having to lug an extra outboard amp around. The Beats also double as a headset for my iphone and I can pause/play/skip/answer calls with the headphone controls. They take 2 AAA batteries but I bought 2 rechargeable sets when I purchased the Beats so that hasn't been a big deal. I can only think of 1 time when I ran out of power. I also find myself using the mute button on the side of the headphones quite often so it is a nice bonus feature.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParadigmPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diddy, may I ask how the plastic housing has been holding up?

I have not had any issues with it so far
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back