Do such headphones exist?
Jul 24, 2001 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bob

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
I am looking for a pair of headphones to use with my Creative Nomad Juke Box at work. I am not sure that there is a headphone that will meet all my needs, but I sure hope there is. I am looking for a pair of headphones that meet the following criteria:

1.Will sound good playing mp3s from my Creative Juke Box without the addition of a headphone amp. I am not looking for a pair of headphones that are going to really show me just how badly mp3s sound =)

2.Will not leak “a lot” of sound. I have a pair of HD600s and they leak too much sound for work.

3.MUST be very comfortable. I have tried a pair of Sony V6s, Grado SR-80s and Koss Porta Pros, but they all start to make my ears hurt after about 30 mins. I can listen to my HD600s for extended periods of time … I guess it is because they do not rest on my ears (Circumaural).

If anyone can think of a good sounding pair of headphones that will meet my needs please fill me in =)

Thanks in advance

Jul 24, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 9
Unfortunately, Bob, such a pair of headphones doesn't exist. All of the super-comfortable, super-efficient headphones either sound REALLY crappy or are so analytical that they expose MP3s for the crap that they really are!
frown.gif
eek.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 9
bob: The beyerdynamic DT250 should be worth a try: closed, circumaural, -16/-18 dB isolation. There are both 80 and 250 Ohm versions, so you should probably check which one fits better to your Nomad.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 24, 2001 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 9
As comfort is entirely subjective, you really should do the "research" yourself. For instance, I find the MDR-V6 (which IS also circumaural!) to be EXTREMELY comfortable over long periods. I wear mine for many hours per day (in my studio). They're EXTREMELY efficient. I use mine from the headphone jack of my mp3 player (RaveMP 2100) often, and they can play quite loudly with no amplifier. They also are VERY revealing, which is why they're so popular in studios, including mine.

But you didn't like the V6, right? Well....I'm at a loss. Grados are very efficient (sensitive), but I find them quite uncomfortable. Sennheisers are quite comfortable, but (most of them) leak sound like crazy...and most Sennheisers require an amp.

The "better" Koss models (the cheap ones..unfortunately it seems to be JUST the less expensive Koss 'phones which sound decent) are all "open air" designs, which both rest on the ears, AND leak sound.

AKGs are, largely, too insensitive to be driven without an amp...except for their very inexpensive models (such as the K-55 and K-66) which sound awful. So I'm kind of at a loss!

Jul 24, 2001 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 9
Koss KSC-35s (and KSC-50s) are so comfortable you'll forget you're wearing them, seem to leak less sound than any other "open" 'phones I know, and are quite forgiving of source material! They're also cheap. Try 'em!

Jul 24, 2001 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 9
What you need is the CD-1000 or CD-1700 from Sony. They are closed, comfortable and very efficient as well as forgiving. Too bad they are discontinued....

Jul 24, 2001 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 9
Actually, I would just spend $20 and get the Beyer velour pads for the 250s, and put those on your Sony V6 -- that would give you everything you want. The Beyer pads *dramatically* increase the comfort of the V6's.

Jul 24, 2001 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 9
I have been pretty much floored how good my new pair of closed Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros - 250 Ohm sound when plugged into the headphone socket of my PC's CD drive. These phones are definitely very smooth and forgiving, have 18 dB of isolation, and better bass response than most speakers (let alone headphones). My PC can drive them to hearing damage levels, I'd say. I prefer them to the DT 250-80, but the DT 250-250 might be just as good for your purpose, especially since both DT 250s have somewhat better efficiency. The 250s are circumaural, but less comfortable than the bigger 770's, I'd say. BTW, in terms of sound quality and musicality, I clearly prefer the Beyer DT 770 Pro - 250s to the Senn HD 600. The Beyers are warmer and simply more natural and involving to my ears.

I don't know the Sonys that have been recommended. Obviously, it would be best, if you could try all the phones that have been recommended so far and decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back