Do SRH840 cushions on the SRH440 change its signature?
Aug 3, 2012 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Siva108

Head-Fier
So I'm planning on getting the SRH440s in the near future.

I've seen a lot of posts recommending replacing the 440 pads with the ones from the 840.

Now my question is, does this change the sound signature of the 440s in any way?

Also, do I really need the 840 cushions? What benefits do they offer over the stock 440 cushions.

Thanks. :)

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 9
If your looking for better comfort, yes the 840 pads is a big upgrade. About the sound signature, u get a little more bass, less treble,  the sound is a bit more balanced overall, IMO.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks.

Would the 940 pads be a better choice? Are the effects on the sound the same?

Oh and are there any other pad options? Apart from the 840 and 940 pads I mean.

Aug 4, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't remember a huge difference in sound between the 840 and 440 pads. Admittedly I wasn't really paying very close attention trying to distinguish any subtle differences, but the fact that the changes weren't obvious at least says something. I just got them for comfort mostly.

940 pads might have a greater effect on the sound, since they're made of a completely different material (velour I believe). Typically velour is supposed to isolate less, which may mean less bass. Bear in my mind I haven't actually tried it, I'm just generalizing.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 9
But velour is more comfy right?

Oh and is it true the M50 pads fit the 440?

The reason I'm hesitating getting the 840 cushions mostly is coz I'm afraid it'll affect the neutral sound of the 440s.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 9
(P)leather vs velour is kind of a matter of personal preference. I love velour, but there are others who prefer (p)leather.

I don't know about the M50 pads, sorry.

Like I said, I didn't notice any big or obvious difference with the 840 pads (but also I wasn't trying really hard to listen for the differences in detail at the time). When I've changed pads on other headphones the differences were usually immediately noticeable and pretty obvious. With the Shures, it wasn't like that. I didn't really notice anything at all other than a little improvement in comfort. Honestly, the 840 pads  are pretty much exactly the same as the 440 ones, but just ever so slightly larger/deeper. Holding them in my hands side by side, I almost thought they were identical at first.

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the help man. Appreciate it. 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back