Do SR80s REALLY need an amp?
Jan 16, 2003 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sjino

100+ Head-Fier
I've read in a couple of different reviews (not just at Headroom) that Grado SR80s really need an amp for use with a portable device.

A quick search of the Head-Fi archive suggests this probably isn't true, but I wonder why this rumor persists if there isn't a little bit of truth to it.

I'm looking at either the SR60 or SR80 for use with my minidisc player, and while I'm sure an amp would greatly improve the sound, I can't afford one at the moment.

From what I've read, I can get "acceptible" performance from the SR80 without an amp, or great performance with one. OTOH, I can get great performance out of the SR60 without an amp. Not knowing what the reviewers consider "acceptible," I'd like to know if an unamped SR80 still sounds better than an unamped SR60.

Any ideas? (And please, no suggestions to buy the Eggos instead. :wink: They're already on my list for later.)

Thanks.

Steve

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 21
Well, my girlfriend uses an SR80 with the iPod and it sounds great!

No amp needed.

from what I understand, all the Grado models are low impedence phones, so they can be easily driven by portables.

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 21
Yep, the 80's sound wonderful out of my minidisc headphone jack, no complaints here.

Jan 16, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 21
The reason why Grados struggle with portable minidisc players stems from the combination of MDP's chronically low power output and Grados' very-open-air design. The open design practically lets all external noise through unfiltered to your ears - and then you'd have to turn up the volume on your MDP all the way to maximum (or very close to that point) just for the Grados' output to overcome all that external noise.

Jan 16, 2003 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 21
The SR60 and SR80 are equally easy to drive, as are most of the Grados. Both will sound better with a decent amp, but both can sound good without one. I think what some people were getting at about the SR80 needing an amp is the following: 1. the SR80 has better bass, and most portables don't have very good bass through the headphone output so you're not getting your money's worth by spending more on the SR80; 2. the SR80 has more treble, so if your portable has harsh treble to start with it could sound worse on the SR80 than the SR60.

Jan 16, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 21
No.

Jan 16, 2003 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 21
I use SR80 with my PC's soundcard (Audigy MP3+) for music and gaming and they sound great. I am gonna build me a C-moy amp, but mostly as an exercise in geekdom.

Jan 16, 2003 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by sjino
I've got a cheapo Sony MZ-505 minidisc player. Bangraman, how do you mean your SR60s struggled with your minidisc? Now I'm wondering...

They are very open so they had to be turned up a bit quite frequently. Then they would start to distort... And not at maximum volume, quite a bit before that. I did have a bit of bass enhancement in because the sound would be squeaky otherwise, but if I turned down the enhancement it wouldn't really distort. But then the sound was squeaky and distant. I've not had such problems with any other headphones I've used.
I think that people look at the impedance and say 'hey they're easy to drive' but that's not the whole point.
As I understand it, most of the recent budget Sony minidiscs share the same amp. I couldn't find a happy medium with the SR60, it's too impractical for portable use.
I've given up assuming that X+1 would sound similar to X or vice versa, so if the SR80's are very different to the SR60 you may be more joy out of them. I've only tried an SR80 for an hour or so at the most, so I don't feel able to make a comparison. All I can tell you is that the SR60 didn't really work for me and my minidiscs.

Jan 16, 2003 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 21
The grados are not intended for outdoor use. they just dont sound good when its put into battle with all the city noise.

For only $20 extra, go for the sr80, they have better clarity and bass. Plus you wouldnt be gripping and wondering over if it will be better to get the '80s at the first place. the extra you pay actually isnt that much in the long run. its like an investment.

the sr80 is a perfect combination for playing pc games, watching dvd and listening to mp3 (you'll start noticing the lack of ooomph in your 128kb or 160kb mp3s). and of course audio cds.

Go get the 80s, you will be happy with it.

Jan 16, 2003 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kenchi1983
The grados are not intended for outdoor use. they just dont sound good when its put into battle with all the city noise.

Quote:

Go get the 80s, you will be happy with it.

Quote:

Top post
I'm looking at either the SR60 or SR80 for use with my minidisc player, and while I'm sure an amp would greatly improve the sound, I can't afford one at the moment.

?
biggrin.gif

(Egads those Quotes took me a long time to do)

Jan 16, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 21
HI: I have owned the sr-60-80-325 and liked the sr-80 best but out of my mini disc at 5 m/w I needed a amp. So I got the mini amp and it worked great, Now there is a super mini amp V4 at I think 99.00 that is really great and would really open up the sr-80. At home they were great out of a better and stronger source but I feel that a super mini amp is needed for a mini disc and even if the mini disc was loud enough the super mini amp still would open up your ears LOL to great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back