Do splitters reduce quality/power?
Oct 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ATHFan

100+ Head-Fier
Do audio splitter cables reduce the quality/power of the headphone jack when connected? Are there any splitters out there that sustain the quality/power of the headphone jack?

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, Technically you start moving the information through say 6 wires then you move to 3 to each channel so it would make sense that there could be a bit of loss and SQ degradation. Your also adding in 9 extra solder joints to each headphones (6 in the original terminal 3 to the female jack). You also increase the resistance on the amp.

Though I haven't tried it, my inclination would be to shy away from it, but who knows the extra splitter may not be discernible.

Dave

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 8
when you use a splitter you have the two headphones acting in parallel and hence decrease the impedance seen by the amp A LOT.

Two identical headphones in parallel show 1/2 the resistance to the amp and this can affect the driving ability of the amp and the power requirement from the amp.

That said if your amp has lots of power and has a low output resistance then it'll be fine as long as you can agree on volume.

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreadhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you use a splitter you have the two headphones acting in parallel and hence decrease the impedance seen by the amp A LOT.

Two identical headphones in parallel show 1/2 the resistance to the amp and this can affect the driving ability of the amp and the power requirement from the amp.

That said if your amp has lots of power and has a low output resistance then it'll be fine as long as you can agree on volume.

So the power is split between the two headphones. What about the sound quality? Will headphones sound worse when connected through a splitter?

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the power is split between the two headphones. What about the sound quality? Will headphones sound worse when connected through a splitter?

Some would argue more connections in the line would affect the sound but I don't think so. If the amp has enough power and a low output impedance then probably not. I don't know for sure though since it is possible to the two phones restance variations with frequency to do some odd things.

In general I avoid using them myself but I listen balanced so they would really be a pain.

Regards,
Chris

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for answering!
atsmile.gif

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Hi,
I am currently using a "splitter" for 2 reasons but have a question.
1 reason is it goes into my PC audio headphone card hole opening on the pc front.  
Switching back and forth taking the jack in or out once ruined my pc audio card.
Secondly , the splitter is connected to  2 very  good Sennheiser wireless headphones  RS 180 and RS 195.
Both headphone cables from the transmitter are connected but only the headphone I connect at the transmitter I can hear.
Would THAT lower the headphone audio quality?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back