Do Soundcards make a difference on cheaper/mid range speaker systems.
Apr 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

whatsntomake

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers,

I see that ASUS is having a soundcard rebate sale/special on their XONAR line.
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/21/43/30/73/2143307350._V134946288_.pdf
I already have an external AMP/DAC so I am not particularly concerned with how the soundcard will affect my headphone experience.
My current headphone setup is a sennheiser HD 650s and audiotechnica w5000 on a burson D. My computer speaker system is the creative A220 which is very ergonomically budget friendly.

I'm wondering how the ASUS XONAR soundcards or soundcards in general will affect my speaker systems. Will it make a difference on my budget friendly speakers? Should I buy a soundcard (doesn't have to be this particular ASUS rebate offer) to futureproof - if I decide to upgrade to better speakers down the road will the soundcard be appropriate/make a difference then?

Thanks for your input!

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 11

Quote:
Hello head-fiers,
I see that ASUS is having a soundcard rebate sale/special on their XONAR line.
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/21/43/30/73/2143307350._V134946288_.pdf
I already have an external AMP/DAC so I am not particularly concerned with how the soundcard will affect my headphone experience.
My current headphone setup is a sennheiser HD 650s and audiotechnica w5000 on a burson D. My computer speaker system is the creative A220 which is very ergonomically budget friendly.
I'm wondering how the ASUS XONAR soundcards or soundcards in general will affect my speaker systems. Will it make a difference on my budget friendly speakers? Should I buy a soundcard (doesn't have to be this particular ASUS rebate offer) to futureproof - if I decide to upgrade to better speakers down the road will the sound card be appropriate/make a difference

If your Burson D (HA-160?) has a pre-out use that for your speakers.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 11
The upper end xonar cards would be a wasre of time on those speakers unless you plan to upgrade your speakers in the near future. While the upper end Xonar essense cards are excellent cards& will sound very very good with higher end monitors & while you will likely get some improvement on your current speakers, to get the most these cards have to offer you need excellent speakers.

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Quote:
If your Burson D (HA-160?) has a pre-out use that for your speakers.

Right I forgot to specific Burson D HA-160.
It completely slipped my mind I could do that with better speakers. Unfortunately my current speaker isn't that sophisticated so all I can do is plug it to the back of my computer for now.

I would assume a cable with RCAs on one end and a female 3.5mm mini-jack would allow you to connect the speakers to the Burson.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I would assume a cable with RCAs on one end and a female 3.5mm mini-jack would allow you to connect the speakers to the Burson.

This.

Also, the better the source, the better the end result will be, but how large sound improvements are does depend on the quality of the gear used. Overall, low end gear still benefits from a better source, only in a minor way.

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 11
It is a bit odd to see someone having both D5000 and HD650 along with a Burson HA-160, and a pair of very budget computer speakers.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I went to radio shack today, got some audio wires and hooked my speakers to my Burson. Thanks for pointing this out to me Purpleangel. 

Notice any change in sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back