Do sellers over-value Grado in the used market?
Apr 19, 2014 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
Not from a performance point of view, I mean from a purely "what-they-are-actually-worth" standpoint... Just seems that while most other brands get the usual 30%-50% markdown in the used or open-box market, Grado owners try and get top-dollar, often close to MSRP. My Craigslist has several ads with people literally trying to get like $10-$15 under MSRP for their used Grados... It's not like they are in limited supply or hard to get or anything... Is this a known phenomena or am I just having an unlucky google/ebay/craigslist day?

Apr 19, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 5
it's got a lot to do with Grados international pricing policy. Their MSRP prices in the US are like 60% of the prices in Europe, Asia, etc.
So people outside the US would gladly pay US MSRP for some used Grados.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Yea, I have noticed this too.  I have watched a few 60 seires and 80 series on eBay in the U.S. and they almost always end up going for $60-$70, in average used condition. When you add $10-$12 for shipping, you'll have nearly $80 in them. However, you can buy a brand new pair on Amazon in the U.S. for $80-$90 with free shipping.

I would like to try a pair but if I decide to pull the trigger, I'll just pay the extra $10 and buy a brand new pair.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 5
I think the reason is that the price of 60/80 is so low to begin with that owners want to recoup a respectable figure. 80i is $100 new, so $75 used (fees and shipping included) is not unreasonable.

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 5
  Yea, I have noticed this too.  I have watched a few 60 series and 80 series on eBay in the U.S. and they almost always end up going for $60-$70, in average used condition. When you add $10-$12 for shipping, you'll have nearly $80 in them. However, you can buy a brand new pair on Amazon in the U.S. for $80-$90 with free shipping.

I would like to try a pair but if I decide to pull the trigger, I'll just pay the extra $10 and buy a brand new pair.

Welp, just as I say ^^ THIS ^^, I stumbled up on a pair of SR 60s on eBay for $38.00 with 1 hour left in the auction, I bid on them and got them for $38.00. On top of this, they look to have the L cushions already installed on them.  That's a $20 value, in itself.

Lucky me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back