Do people with bigger heads experience more bass?
Mar 7, 2006 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gtp

1000+ Head-Fier
Whenever I press my full-size headphones in towards my head, I experience a much more bassy sound. For a given headphone, there should be more pressure exerted on those with a bigger head. Thus the big-head sound should be similar to pressing the headphones in for those of us with smaller heads. Does this sound right?

PS: I suppose the phenomena is similar to getting a good seal with IEMs, i.e., no seal -> no bass.

George

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 4
The surface area covered by the headphone is constant regardless of head size, so it should make no difference.

Also, pressure is inversely proportional to surface area (it's basically force per unit surface area).

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 4
My uncle has a larger head than me and he always seems to do better with bass. I used to attribute this to his large head, but on second thought, I think he's just a better fisherman.

Deep thoughts, by solbergg

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 4
As a rough rule, if you put drivers closer to your ear you get a more dynamic sound. You can hear this effect very clearly by using different thickness pads to put Grados at varying distances away from your ear.

Pressing in headphones to your ear puts the drivers closer to your ear. It's not always about the seal. Clamping force shouldn't vary hugely for people within the fit range of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back