Do people smell things differently?
Aug 1, 2007 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
I was at work today and was standing by the cash register when I noticed a weird smell. I had no idea what it was but it wasn't pleasant and if I had to describe it to someone, I would call it "Chipotle barbacoa and diarrhea" Anyway, I asked Billy to come smell it and he said it smelled like a dead deer (I have no idea what a dead deer smells like). Then Karen, a manager, came over and she said it smelled like a skunk. Kati also said it smelled like a skunk. It actually smelled (to my nose) nothing like a skunk. Finally, Sarah said it smelled like old garbage. In the end we all decided it was probably a dead mouse; obviously we had no idea what a dead mouse smelled like but we looked for the source of the smell and never found it. Hopefully it's gone by tomorrow.

Anyway, it got me thinking - when people smell new smells, do their brains tag it differently? I'm sure it was a smell that none of us have come across before, so in trying to describe it, how did our brains associate the smell?

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get used to it, hence your own poo is not as overwhelming as the next guy who walks in.

Well it wasn't so much that the smell was stronger for different people, but it actually smelled different. Like I personally thought it smelled nothing like a skunk, but a couple of the people there swore that it did, so I dunno.

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you were asking whether people have different body odors.

Edited thread title for clarity.

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get used to it, hence your own poo is not as overwhelming as the next guy who walks in.

I damn near fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.....hahahahahah!

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I damn near fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.....hahahahahah!

me too

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 31
well.. people tend to determine smell from their personal experience. so... yes, I guess people smell different.

By the way... Mervile, your avatar came from Oxide2's artwork right? (well.. off course, with out the headphone)

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well.. people tend to determine smell from their personal experience. so... yes, I guess people smell different.

By the way... Mervile, your avatar came from Oxide2's artwork right? (well.. off course, with out the headphone)

No, I've never heard of Oxide2.

Anyway I guess I gotta stop eating barbacoa burritos and stop having diarrhea
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Anyway I guess I gotta stop eating barbacoa burritos and stop having diarrhea

Check this site out! ;-O
http://www.liquidass.com/

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this site out! ;-O
http://www.liquidass.com/

Heh that's actually probably pretty close to what the smell was like. Well, for me at least
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back