Do Open Headphones Leak at Low Volume?
Sep 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Word Of Madness

New Head-Fier
I'm deciding on a new set of headphones, and have set my eyes on a few open headphones. I'll be using whichever headphones I buy in libraries, offices and public transport, as well as at home. My main concern was with the noise leakage. I've viewed several videos on Youtube as well as written reviews that show the leakage to be bad for those situations I'll find myself in. However, if I hold my current set of headphones (HD202s) at arms length with the speaker pointed towards me at my normal listening volume, they are barely audible. Am I missing something, or would this give a tentative "yes" to being able use open headphones in public and quiet environments without disrupting others?

If it depends on the headphone itself, I was asking in reference the following:
Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG Q701
Grado SR80i
Sennheiser 598

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 10
  I'm deciding on a new set of headphones, and have set my eyes on a few open headphones. I'll be using whichever headphones I buy in libraries, offices and public transport, as well as at home. My main concern was with the noise leakage. I've viewed several videos on Youtube as well as written reviews that show the leakage to be bad for those situations I'll find myself in. However, if I hold my current set of headphones (HD202s) at arms length with the speaker pointed towards me at my normal listening volume, they are barely audible. Am I missing something, or would this give a tentative "yes" to being able use open headphones in public and quiet environments without disrupting others?

Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG Q701
Grado SR80i
Sennheiser 598

Both the Beyers do leak at low levels. But I used my Dt 880 in my Campus Library for a year an no one noticed. 

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 10
Sennheiser HD600: completely unusable in a library or similar quiet place, same might go for 598 too, or any open headphones in general..

But they were quite funny to use when walking to places, the soundstage is pretty cool when you walk outside, if there's not much noise around

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 10

Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG Q701
Grado SR80i
Sennheiser 598

Headphones like the AKG K240 series, Superlux "clones" of the K240, and Samson (made by Superlux),
are not as open as other "open" headphones, so at low volume, other might still hear the audio, but not enough that it would "bother" anyone, at least anyone that is reasonable. but I guess use in a libaray of even semi-open headphones would still be a no no.

If your going to use headphone in public areas, get some JVC HA-S400 (or HA-S400) closed headphones, they fold up and you can get difference ear pads for them for around $16, off eBay.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 10
  Headphones like the AKG K240 series, Superlux "clones" of the K240, and Samson (made by Superlux),
are not as open as other "open" headphones, so at low volume, other might still hear the audio, but not enough that it would "bother" anyone, at least anyone that is reasonable. but I guess use in a libaray of even semi-open headphones would still be a no no.

If your going to use headphone in public areas, get some JVC HA-S400 (or HA-S400) closed headphones, they fold up and you can get difference ear pads for them for around $16, off eBay.

My dt 880s where usable in my Library. Although I natrually tend to sit in the farthest part or the most isolated art of the library 

still closed headphones ar ebetter, I have a pair of Shure 840 Modded that sound VERY  much like a closed Dt 880 check my sig

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 10

Beyerdynamic DT990
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG Q701
Grado SR80i
Sennheiser 598

Maybe add the AKG K550 to your list.
Check eBay for a refurb.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 10
Why open headphones, op, if you are mainly using them in public where you are prone to noise (?)

That said I think some semi-open headphones may not leak as much, while still sharing some soundstage qualities of open headphones.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 10
  Why open headphones, op, if you are mainly using them in public where you are prone to noise (?)

That said I think some semi-open headphones may not leak as much, while still sharing some soundstage qualities of open headphones.

yar the Dt 880 don't leak to to much

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 10
I own the SR80s and I certainly wouldn't want to listen to them in a library or a quiet office. I was surprised at the amount of leakage myself, and I was expecting some. 

Ditto for the HD598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back