Do odd and even numbers sound different?
Dec 11, 2005 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
I was reading the 6moons review of the Kharma Ceramique subwoofer, and the reviewer makes this comment:

"Is the integration of the sub to the main speakers really that easy? What parameters should I consider beyond this setup to get even more from the sub? Out of curiosity, I called up Yamada-San of Zanden Audio. He told me that for some unknown reasons, he finds odd numbers in digital volume controls to always sound better than even numbers. (He also finds odd-number channels in airlines to sound clearer than even number channel.) He believes the remote control of the Kharma subwoofer is a digital volume hence I should try to compare 1V and 3V input level values while experimenting with the amplitude level at -1, -3, -5, -7 etc. Were there in fact any audible differences between odd and even number? Yes but in a very subtle way. Energy release with odd-number settings seemed to flow more naturally."

Now I have to admit that I personally think 6moons is basically trash, with their space cadet reviewers and "no negative reviews" editorial policy, but I'm open-minded and thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed that odd numbers sound better than even ones. Have you noticed that odd-numbered channels in airlines, on TV, or with XM radio sound better than even-numbered channels? Do amplifiers with an odd number of tubes tend to sound better than amps with even numbers of tubes?

Dec 11, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 52
Crock of ********. Why should it change the sound when the number displayed is arbitrarily chosen and could be either odd or even?

Unless it is a work of a conscious super natural being or a deity...

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Now I have to admit that I personally think 6moons is basically trash, with their space cadet reviewers and "no negative reviews" editorial policy,

Oh how could you...blah,blah,blah...who do you think you are....bla,blah,blah....
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

If ever there were a good candidate for a blind listen this would be it.
My volume control is not digital and further more has no numbers anyway. That's one less nervosa thing to get hung up on. It's all good between 9:00-2:00.

Speaking of numbers and the mind, if I lay out four different items that look comparable that you are unfamiliar with and ask which is the best, you'll probably choose the fourth.

Dec 11, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 52
I personally prefer prime numbers.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Have you noticed that odd-numbered channels in airlines, on TV, or with XM radio sound better than even-numbered channels? Do amplifiers with an odd number of tubes tend to sound better than amps with even numbers of tubes?

I can't say I have. Channels 6 & 42 have the best picture and sound quality on my TV, 6 I have no idea why, 42 is probably because they film for HDTV broadcasts and choose to keep the quality good for their regular broadcasts. Or maybe they just have stronger signals. Other than that there's no real pattern, most TV channels look rather mediocre.

Amplifiers, no. My new tube amp which has 4 tubes sounds just as good as a Singlepower with 3 tubes. I have a design in the works with 5 or 6 tubes, perhaps I can do a comparison then. Or maybe I can just put a dummy tube on my current amp and see if it sounds better.

Dec 11, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 52
The even numbers are more punchy. It's a slight difference, but it's there if you care to listen for it. I interpret his assertion that odd numbers "flow more naturally" as sounding a tad flat and lifeless. It has been my experience that that is the case, but one guy's "natural" is my "lifeless," I guess. Even settings work better for me, to my ears.

Dec 12, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 52
I really hope you're all joking.

Dec 12, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 52
Some of you may scoff, but this is a cheap enough tweak that it's worth trying. Though I recommend checking the orientation of your fuses before drawing any definitive conclusions. (Just flipping the direction of the fuse in your source can dramatically improve the resolution and naturalness of your system, removing a cloudy window of "glare and brightness" as 6moons so helpfully points out in another one of their reviews.) I'd imagine that if your fuses are in the wrong direction, even numbers may sound better than odd ones, instead of the other way around. That might be what ooheadsoo is experiencing.

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 52
That's a good point. I just remembered that my Odyssey Stratos came with spare fuses and leds. The current led on the power switch is flickering...I wonder if that makes a difference. I'll switch in new leds and fuses when I get around to it. At least A/B of the odd and even settings is easy to perform.

Dec 12, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Some of you may scoff, but this is a cheap enough tweak that it's worth trying. Though I recommend checking the orientation of your fuses before drawing any definitive conclusions. (Just flipping the direction of the fuse in your source can dramatically improve the resolution and naturalness of your system, removing a cloudy window of "glare and brightness" as 6moons so helpfully points out in another one of their reviews.) I'd imagine that if your fuses are in the wrong direction, even numbers may sound better than odd ones, instead of the other way around. That might be what ooheadsoo is experiencing.

Well I guess that's why I notice no difference on my CD tracks, there are no fuses in my audio gear. Circuit breakers, it's the way of the future, and that's what I use in all my gear. It sounds better too, nice solid contacts instead of a wimpy little fuse wire.

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #15 of 52
You people and your real numbers... imaginary numbers are where it's at.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back