Do NYPD squad cars have (visible) shotguns in them?
Jul 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Banned at his own request
When I went to New York, one of my goals was to take a picture of a squad car with a shotgun in the cockpit.
I found one empty squad car by Ground Zero without a shotgun in it.
So there goes my question. I'd guess that only "some" of the cars would so is there a particular concentration?

Thank you very much.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
When I went to New York, one of my goals was to take a picture of a squad car with a shotgun in the cockpit.
I found one empty squad car by Ground Zero without a shotgun in it.
So there goes my question. I'd guess that only "some" of the cars would so is there a particular concentration?

Thank you very much.

i think only the sheriff does.... just a hunch

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Jul 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 15
I am under the impression that in a civilized nation such as the USA, you don't rob police cars.

Civilized? Compared to... :p
I don't know about lately, but in northern California the last time I looked (from the OUTSIDE) they mount the shotguns horizontally underneath the dash just above the knees. However sometimes when you see a big incendent go down (on TV) you see them pulling hardware out of their trunk. I'm not sure if those are just extras or different rifles. I liked it when the highway patrol had the shotguns mounted upright because it helped me see in my rearview mirror if one of them was behind me on the freeway- the only way to pick them out since they haven't had the big decklights for a while. Luckily my driving has mellowed with age. :wink:

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Civilized? Compared to...
tongue.gif

I don't know about lately, but in northern California the last time I looked (from the OUTSIDE) they mount the shotguns horizontally underneath the dash just above the knees. However sometimes when you see a big incendent go down (on TV) you see them pulling hardware out of their trunk. I'm not sure if those are just extras or different rifles. I liked it when the highway patrol had the shotguns mounted upright because it helped me see in my rearview mirror if one of them was behind me on the freeway- the only way to pick them out since they haven't had the big decklights for a while. Luckily my driving has mellowed with age.
wink.gif

..."from the OUTSIDE" does this mean you have been on the inside?

Jul 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 15
NYPD patrol cars or RMPs (radio motor patrol) do not have shotguns mounted in the front or mounted at all. Patrol units (either patrol, housing, or transit) are not trained and do not carry a long rifle or shotgun. Only specialized units like ESU (Emergency Services Unit which is the NYPD version of swat/hrt) are authorized to train, qualify, and carry long rifles and or sub machine weapons.

Also only sergeants and above are allowed to carry and use tasers (with the exception of ESU).

Hope that clears up why you didn't see any shotguns mounted inside the RMP. 

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, in NJ the squad cars usually have rifles in between the driver and passenger seats, I've seen them myself various times.  I went to some police summer camp a while ago, and they told me that shotguns would be in the trunk if they did carry them, although I've personally never actually seen any officers weilding shotguns.  I guess it's different in NY though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back