DO NOT SELL TO USER 'assss' HE IS A KNOWN SCAMMER!
Dec 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #31 of 59
I am now that I have proof of assss ripping off others as well, thanks.

USPS Priority stops tracking once the package leaves the US Customs Center.  HK/China does not cooperate with Priority tracking.

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #32 of 59
It's always better to use Express Mail when shipping internationally. You get full tracking with signature, it includes insurance, and arrives at least twice as fast. And for a 1 - 5 lb. package it doesn't cost much more 
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #33 of 59
It doesn't matter. I've worked with PayPal long enough to know their loop holes. Buyer can always claim the package was stolen off the porch despite tracking. Signatures can be voided by having a relative sign for it. Damages can be claimed anytime within 45 days. Unverified addresses loses seller protection. International addresses are under different protection than domestic. International shippers hands off packages to third parties. I've been scammed several times before and there is no complete protection.   

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:
It doesn't matter. I've worked with PayPal long enough to know their loop holes. Buyer can always claim the package was stolen off the porch despite tracking. Signatures can be voided by having a relative sign for it. Damages can be claimed anytime within 45 days. Unverified addresses loses seller protection. International addresses are under different protection than domestic. International shippers hands off packages to third parties. I've been scammed several times before and there is no complete protection.   

True, but if it's signed for and PayPal won't help you can at least try to make a postal insurance claim as well. If the recipient has someone sign for it and then says he didn't get it the PO will have some leverage with the local carrier. All I'm saying is that the additional cost of Express Mail is worth it for the quicker delivery time alone, and the included insurance and signature tracking is a bonus. Typically you will pay around $38 for Priority with insurance and tracking if you can even get them (it depends on the destination country), and around $44 for Express. Just another way to try and protect one's self from scammers although as you said there's no complete protection.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #36 of 59
Completely agree, just make sure the buyer pays the shipping :wink: (or at least the additional from basic shipping...)

Quote:
True, but if it's signed for and PayPal won't help you can at least try to make a postal insurance claim as well. If the recipient has someone sign for it and then says he didn't get it the PO will have some leverage with the local carrier. All I'm saying is that the additional cost of Express Mail is worth it for the quicker delivery time alone, and the included insurance and signature tracking is a bonus. Typically you will pay around $38 for Priority with insurance and tracking if you can even get them (it depends on the destination country), and around $44 for Express. Just another way to try and protect one's self from scammers although as you said there's no complete protection.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #37 of 59
Thank God I used registered mail service when I sold him Meier Audio 2Stepdance in October. Getting him to admit that the parcel has arrived and leaving him feedback for me was like pulling teeth out though.

Dec 25, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #38 of 59

Quote:
Thank God I used registered mail service when I sold him Meier Audio 2Stepdance in October. Getting him to admit that the parcel has arrived and leaving him feedback for me was like pulling teeth out though.

As they say "what goes around comes around." This person will get his eventually, just it seems to take a while for these evil people...

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #39 of 59
Hi Head Fi'ers,

I would like to chime in on another situation - I am looking to get your opinion on a situation regarding a head fi'er who goes by the name Anacondastan.

I recently purchased a Macbook Air 13" from him on December 10th. Prior to the purchase of the Macbook Air, I was interested in another item he had for sale, the Macbook pro. I was haggling with him on price and he completely lost his cool and became angry.

I ended up sending him a PM about the Air about 10 days later mentioning our previous communication and that I was interested in the Macbook Air and that the price was decent so I was not going to haggle. Anyway, he was very cordial and nice about it. Prior to the purchase I did my research on him and saw that he had a 3+ for sales and also he had good feedback in his previous archived sales over the last 4 -5 years. And he was a regular contributor to Head fi with a number of comments.

I live in Japan, and he had asked that I use paypal and send it as a gift. Based upon my research I did it. (Yes this is my fault and take responsibility). Prior to the purchase he had sent me recent photos with dates, his name and head fi just to make sure. So I trusted him.

He said he would send the package either on Saturday or Monday. I told him either is okay and to make sure and send me the tracking information. I paid $940 for the Macbook Air so it makes sense to put a track on it, especially overseas to Japan. Although Japan is one of the more safer and trusting countries.

So I followed up with him on Monday, he e-mailed me back and said the package had been sent. I followed up and asked about the tracking. He said he did not send it with tracking as he did not want to "Fuss". (Right there the alarm is going off) But I gave him the benefit of the doubt so I e-mailed back and asked if he could take a photo of the paperwork for the postage. I then get an angry e-mail saying I am task mastering him and that I am a pain in the ass. I followed up again and told him that I was burned once on Head fi and am just trying to cover myself and reminded him that I just paid $940 to him. No word response after a few days, so I e-mailed back and said that I need a response. That is when he completely lost his $hit and said never to e-mail him again and that he would not respond.

So to date it has been two weeks and no sign of the Macbook air. I have e-mailed him a few times with some lighthearted kind e-mails, with a hint of threats.

There are three possible scenarios at play here:
1. He never sent the item and kept the $940 USD in which case this is considered fraud and illegal.
2. The item is slow in delivery due to the holidays and the fact that it is an overseas shipment and may be in customs awaiting clearance. However, I have not been contacted.
3. The item has been lost in shipment. (In which case, technically he is liable and should refund the money)

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, thoughts or experiences with this guy and the situation? He has been a regular contributor to Head fi for a long time and I see he has been trying to sell a number of items over the last 6 months or so. I am still patiently waiting and still hoping the item is just jammed up in customs due to the holidays and don't want to prematurely put him in a bad light just yet as I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt. Although I do have his name, photo, e-mail addresses and other information I have been able to get from my research on here and the internet.

Perhaps I am naive, and this is my way of learning my lesson as I too have had good experience as both a buyer and seller, which is backed up by the feedback and archived feedback as well as m ebay feedback. But this guy seemed to be legit.  

Anyway, I don't want to take this completely public just yet (but I certainly will and will not go down without a fight and full on smear campaign), so PM would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skoog

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #40 of 59
For one your biggest mistake is by paying him via gift. He can get away with this due to that. You honestly should never trust anyone regarding this as pay pal was your form of insurance. I really hope things work out for you as this will be a very expensive loss if not... The fact that he did not put tracking on the item was stupid and very suspicious. I recently mailed out a Dell 2707 Ultra sharp monitor to a buyer in Kansas and even I put basic tracking on it. Without that proof how can you be sure the buyer received the package and not fraudulently claim not receiving the package (although hes out of the loop on this since you gifted him the money). Regardless of if you do receive the package or not, I wouldn't recommend giving him good feedback based on the aggressive encounters you've had with him over email. Number one rule is always treat the paying customer with respect, especially since he has your money and you have nothing to show for it at this point. Good luck and I hope things work out for you non-the-less.

I had some bad encounters with the buyer of my dell 2707 because I did not ship the item via 5 day shipping like I had posted in my add. This was because there was a typo on USPS website stating the shipping would be $45.00. When I got to the post office they told me $90.00 and I wasn't gonna pay out of pocket the additional (especially since I had already taken a huge loss on this screen and selling it on ebay made the matter worse). So when communicating with him I showed him respect and sympathy. It took a month or so before he got the screen but he is very happy with his purchase and I am happy that he got his product (I am never at ease until the customer is satisfied and taken care of).

Quote:
Hi Head Fi'ers,

I would like to chime in on another situation - I am looking to get your opinion on a situation regarding a head fi'er who goes by the name Anacondastan.

I recently purchased a Macbook Air 13" from him on December 10th. Prior to the purchase of the Macbook Air, I was interested in another item he had for sale, the Macbook pro. I was haggling with him on price and he completely lost his cool and became angry.

I ended up sending him a PM about the Air about 10 days later mentioning our previous communication and that I was interested in the Macbook Air and that the price was decent so I was not going to haggle. Anyway, he was very cordial and nice about it. Prior to the purchase I did my research on him and saw that he had a 3+ for sales and also he had good feedback in his previous archived sales over the last 4 -5 years. And he was a regular contributor to Head fi with a number of comments.

I live in Japan, and he had asked that I use paypal and send it as a gift. Based upon my research I did it. (Yes this is my fault and take responsibility). Prior to the purchase he had sent me recent photos with dates, his name and head fi just to make sure. So I trusted him.

He said he would send the package either on Saturday or Monday. I told him either is okay and to make sure and send me the tracking information. I paid $940 for the Macbook Air so it makes sense to put a track on it, especially overseas to Japan. Although Japan is one of the more safer and trusting countries.

So I followed up with him on Monday, he e-mailed me back and said the package had been sent. I followed up and asked about the tracking. He said he did not send it with tracking as he did not want to "Fuss". (Right there the alarm is going off) But I gave him the benefit of the doubt so I e-mailed back and asked if he could take a photo of the paperwork for the postage. I then get an angry e-mail saying I am task mastering him and that I am a pain in the ass. I followed up again and told him that I was burned once on Head fi and am just trying to cover myself and reminded him that I just paid $940 to him. No word response after a few days, so I e-mailed back and said that I need a response. That is when he completely lost his $hit and said never to e-mail him again and that he would not respond.

So to date it has been two weeks and no sign of the Macbook air. I have e-mailed him a few times with some lighthearted kind e-mails, with a hint of threats.

There are three possible scenarios at play here:
1. He never sent the item and kept the $940 USD in which case this is considered fraud and illegal.
2. The item is slow in delivery due to the holidays and the fact that it is an overseas shipment and may be in customs awaiting clearance. However, I have not been contacted.
3. The item has been lost in shipment. (In which case, technically he is liable and should refund the money)

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, thoughts or experiences with this guy and the situation? He has been a regular contributor to Head fi for a long time and I see he has been trying to sell a number of items over the last 6 months or so. I am still patiently waiting and still hoping the item is just jammed up in customs due to the holidays and don't want to prematurely put him in a bad light just yet as I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt. Although I do have his name, photo, e-mail addresses and other information I have been able to get from my research on here and the internet.

Perhaps I am naive, and this is my way of learning my lesson as I too have had good experience as both a buyer and seller, which is backed up by the feedback and archived feedback as well as m ebay feedback. But this guy seemed to be legit.  

Anyway, I don't want to take this completely public just yet (but I certainly will and will not go down without a fight and full on smear campaign), so PM would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skoog

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #41 of 59

Quote:

Thanks for the comment Lee. I agree always treat the paying customer with respect. 
And yes this could be a very expensive lesson, but I did my homework on him and took a calculated risk and paid by gift on PayPal. 

I hope it arrives but not holding my breath at this point.

Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For one your biggest mistake is by paying him via gift. He can get away with this due to that. You honestly should never trust anyone regarding this as pay pal was your form of insurance. I really hope things work out for you as this will be a very expensive loss if not... The fact that he did not put tracking on the item was stupid and very suspicious. I recently mailed out a Dell 2707 Ultra sharp monitor to a buyer in Kansas and even I put basic tracking on it. Without that proof how can you be sure the buyer received the package and not fraudulently claim not receiving the package (although hes out of the loop on this since you gifted him the money). Regardless of if you do receive the package or not, I wouldn't recommend giving him good feedback based on the aggressive encounters you've had with him over email. Number one rule is always treat the paying customer with respect, especially since he has your money and you have nothing to show for it at this point. Good luck and I hope things work out for you non-the-less.

I had some bad encounters with the buyer of my dell 2707 because I did not ship the item via 5 day shipping like I had posted in my add. This was because there was a typo on USPS website stating the shipping would be $45.00. When I got to the post office they told me $90.00 and I wasn't gonna pay out of pocket the additional (especially since I had already taken a huge loss on this screen and selling it on ebay made the matter worse). So when communicating with him I showed him respect and sympathy. It took a month or so before he got the screen but he is very happy with his purchase and I am happy that he got his product (I am never at ease until the customer is satisfied and taken care of).

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #43 of 59
Are people sending as a gift to avoid Paypal fees? Doesn't seem worth it if you don't personally know the person.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #44 of 59
Yes some are asking for it. And I made that mistake. Lesson learned and others NEVER do it, is my suggestion.

Quote:
Are people sending as a gift to avoid Paypal fees? Doesn't seem worth it if you don't personally know the person.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #45 of 59

Quote:
Yes some are asking for it. And I made that mistake. Lesson learned and others NEVER do it, is my suggestion.

Generally what I do is post the price of my item plus the 3% paypal fee (for their protection). Generally I'll cover basic shipping if its in the USA but in no way in foreign countries (that's their responsibility and generally I'm saving them a bundle helping them avoid customs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back