Do not read if you are into guns
Oct 10, 2007 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

gaijin

Banned
If you are into guns, please do not read this or post into this thread.

If you are bothered by Gun threads on HeadFi, let your voice be heard !

Remember : no politics

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 25
This topic is only going to provoke bitter comments and experiences....
plainface.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 25
Don't know what to say aside from that I'm glad I'm in a country where guns aren't that freely available (and hence far less occurrence of bloody shooting). I don't understand the argument that being allowed to carry guns will allow you to defend yourself; most related news I heard have been massacres carried out by gunmen, with no (armed) members of the public managing to gun down the criminals.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This topic is only going to provoke bitter comments and experiences....
plainface.gif

I simply whant to know if other members are bothered by gun threads.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 25
I have a friend that is a competition shooter and avid hunter, yet he is staunchly against keeping a readily available gun for self defense. He keeps the gun and ammo locked up separately, where it would be useless as self defense, it would take too much time to unlock the gun, unlock the ammo, load the gun, etc.

Interestingly, my father was in the military for a good amount of time, became an officer. Has handled and shot many types of guns. Yet he is completely against guns in the home.

Guns aren't always used for killing people, it just happens that way sometimes, and often times could have been avoided. Having a gun may make you feel safer, but please don't lie to yourself and think it actually does make you safer. (Unless you live in a war zone, then I guess being armed makes more sense.) Statistically speaking you and your family will be at a higher risk of accidental shooting from your own guns than at the hand of a criminal. And the safety procedures required to really keep a gun safe from kids and others from accidents really does make a gun as home defense pretty useless.

I guess you could just keep a loaded gun on you at all times, but it only takes that one time it's out of your sight from your children (even if you teach them proper handling) and worse yet, their untrained friends. Personally, I'd rather not have guns in my home because the fear of my kid or her friends in the future accidentally shooting themselves worries me more than the random criminal that may or may not attack my family at home.

I guess if I really felt that unsafe and paranoid, I would rather have a panic room in my home than a gun. Or rather than simply a gun, robot sentries, or attack hamsters. Because anyone that knows my dog knows how useless she would be for home defense, unless crapping on them counts.

Oh, and I guess I'll address the OP's post before this thread does get locked. I don't lose sleep at night over the gun threads, but I don't like them either. I don't post in them either. But it has been mentioned many times in this forum that this forum needs to stay kid and family friendly. I don't think a running gun lust thread where pictures of gun collections being oogled over like headphone amps is appropriate for kids.

-Ed

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROTFLMAO!
biggrin.gif

That's some potent poo!

Oh, it's vile stuff. Pure liquid torture.

Turns out we eventually found out why this incredibly adorable and docile dog was abandoned not once, but twice before we adopted her. She gets projectile diarrhea after being stressed out.

She ruined our carpets, and I have spent a small fortune on Nature's Miracle cleaner.

-Ed

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and I guess I'll address the OP's post before this thread does get locked. I don't lose sleep at night over the gun threads, but I don't like them either. I don't post in them either. But it has been mentioned many times in this forum that this forum needs to stay kid and family friendly. I don't think a running gun lust thread where pictures of gun collections being oogled over like headphone amps is appropriate for kids.

-Ed

Thanks.

I have to remember not to post in those threads (to avoid being reminded by moderators).

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i rather agree; i'm not a fan of guns either; i'm not entirely one way about it, but guns do scare me and make me feel uncomfortable

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

x2.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

-Ed

Very good point indeed. I had initially supported the gun threads as something that we can all enjoy, but I can certainly see how they would impinge on family values. On the other hand, this would also affect our "what are you drinking" or the other alcohol related threads...

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaijin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

not bothered by them really, they are just alien to me.

its like another world being able to buy all these powerful, exotic weapons.

but coming from the UK that isnt suprising really!

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #15 of 25
My girlfriend was a staunch gun control advocate while she was an undergrad at the University. She ended up questioning this, and wondering what was at the root of her feelings. For her honors thesis, she entered into the gun culture. She attended gun shows, went to the ranges, read the literature, and made an honest attempt to confront her feelings.

When it was over, she was a convert. She now is a proud gunowner (she owns a .40 glock for those interested). I won't go into the reasons for her conversion, because I don't want to be the one to start (the inevitable) flamewar.

But my question is, how many of those who don't like guns, or favor gun control, have actually ever fired a firearm? This is an honest question, as my experience has been that much of the fear behind this issue is from the unknown. My girlfriend (and my) experience was that once we had gone to the range a couple times, much of the fear and doubt about guns went away after we actually tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back