DO NOT BUY FROM - Anacondastan (he is a scammer)
Dec 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

skoog5600

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Head Fi'ers,

I am looking to get your opinion on a situation regarding a head fi'er who goes by the name Anacondastan.

I recently purchased a Macbook Air 13" from him on December 10th. Prior to the purchase of the Macbook Air, I was interested in another item he had for sale, the Macbook pro. I was haggling with him on price and he completely lost his cool and became angry.

I ended up sending him a PM about the Air about 10 days later mentioning our previous communication and that I was interested in the Macbook Air and that the price was decent so I was not going to haggle. Anyway, he was very cordial and nice about it. Prior to the purchase I did my research on him and saw that he had a 3+ for sales and also he had good feedback in his previous archived sales over the last 4 -5 years. And he was a regular contributor to Head fi with a number of comments.

I live in Japan, and he had asked that I use paypal and send it as a gift. Based upon my research I did it. (Yes this is my fault and take responsibility). Prior to the purchase he had sent me recent photos with dates, his name and head fi just to make sure. So I trusted him.
He said he would send the package either on Saturday or Monday. I told him either is okay and to make sure and send me the tracking information. I paid $940 for the Macbook Air so it makes sense to put a track on it, especially overseas to Japan. Although Japan is one of the more safer and trusting countries.

So I followed up with him on Monday, he e-mailed me back and said the package had been sent. I followed up and asked about the tracking. He said he did not send it with tracking as he did not want to "Fuss". (Right there the alarm is going off) But I gave him the benefit of the doubt so I e-mailed back and asked if he could take a photo of the paperwork for the postage. I then get an angry e-mail saying I am task mastering him and that I am a pain in the ass. I followed up again and told him that I was burned once on Head fi and am just trying to cover myself and reminded him that I just paid $940 to him. No word response after a few days, so I e-mailed back and said that I need a response. That is when he completely lost his $hit and said never to e-mail him again and that he would not respond.

So to date it has been two weeks and no sign of the Macbook air. I have e-mailed him a few times with some lighthearted kind e-mails, with a hint of threats. 

There are three possible scenarios at play here:

1. He never sent the item and kept the $940 USD in which case this is considered fraud and illegal.
2. The item is slow in delivery due to the holidays and the fact that it is an overseas shipment and may be in customs awaiting clearance. However, I have not been contacted.
3. The item has been lost in shipment. (In which case, technically he is liable and should refund the money)

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, thoughts or experiences with this guy and the situation? He has been a regular contributor to Head fi for a long time and I see he has been trying to sell a number of items over the last 6 months or so. I am still patiently waiting and still hoping the item is just jammed up in customs due to the holidays and don't want to prematurely put him in a bad light just yet as I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt. Although I do have his name, photo, e-mail addresses and other information I have been able to get from my research on here and the internet.

Perhaps I am naive, and this is my way of learning my lesson.

Anyway, I don't want to take this completely public just yet, so PM would be appreciated.

Thanks

Skoog

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 39
So its been about 10 business days since he sent the item ? I'd say wait a little longer, it is the holiday season after all and most mailing services are kind of unreliable.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 39
It has been more than 10 days. According to my records via e-mail it was shipped on December 13th.

As I said in the initial post, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. What gives me pause to worry is his attitude in some of the e-mails. But his regular posts and comments he seems to be trustworthy and has sold an bought on here.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 39

Quote:
So its been about 10 business days since he sent the item ? I'd say wait a little longer, it is the holiday season after all and most mailing services are kind of unreliable.

Hi and thanks for the comment - It has been more than 10 days. According to my records via e-mail it was shipped on December 13th.

As I said in the initial post, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. What gives me pause to worry is his attitude in some of the e-mails. But his regular posts and comments he seems to be trustworthy and has sold and bought on head'fi.

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 39
It's been about 9 business days and I don't think that's long enough to determine whether this is a scam or not, especially for an international shipment shipped during the holidays. It could easily take longer even if it wasn't the holidays. Of course, all 3 scenarios are possible but it's too early to tell at this point. I sure hope you get the MacBook Air soon. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 39
Keep us posted. There's still  hope but just learn from this experience and don't repeat history (like man is eternally doomed in).

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 39
Unfortunately, even outside of the holiday season, international shipments can take a long time.  I once sent something that was supposed to reach in 10 days, but it took ~5 weeks.  USPS stated that tracking to that country wasn't possible and so I had to send it without tracking.  The buyer did get quite worried (understandable) because there was literally no information on the package until it showed up at his door.

It does seem a little strange that the seller won't scan and send you the mailing receipts.  I don't know what's up with that, but I know little about your email exchanges beyond what you've said.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 39
Thanks everyone for the comments.

I will wait as nine business days is not enough time.
And paying gift payment was a big mistake on my part but the guy is a regular contributor, buyer and seller on head fi so I took the risk,

There is still hope but what concerns me is the guys attitude and now lack of response.

Either way if it arrives or not lesson learned - do not send by gift payment on PayPal.

Will keep you posted.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 39
Terrible. anacondastan has done some dirty deeds with audio gear on ebay and audiogon. Stan scammed someone on a McIntosh head unit on ebay in 2007. Convenient that he went on a sabbatical from this forum a day after you paid him for the MB Air. He also changed his address from Hampton, Va to "Metro D.C." that day.

Anyone who is unwilling to provide a shipping receipt is scamming, period.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=anacondastan&ftab=AllFeedback

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/149739-mcintosh-double-din.html

His IP addy: 141.152.186.125

His first name is Stan from Hampton, VA. I can have his full workup in a day or two (holiday).

I don't know the guy from Adam, but I detest this behavior.

[size=medium]
 ​
[/size]

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 39
The ebay feedback link shows 1 negative feedback after a lot of positive ones.  That's hardly the type of evidence one would use to conclude he is a scammer.

Quote:
Convenient that he went on a sabbatical from this forum a day after you paid him for the MB Air.

That's perfectly normal.  Many people (me included) lurk on Head-Fi without logging in.  The day after I buy/sell something I go back into lurking mode.  Doing it over email instead of Head-Fi PM makes sense to people because you have direct contact with that person and you have a email paper trail.  I know I'm not the only person who does this.  There are a number of members who only log in and post when they want to buy/sell.

Quote:

Yeah, it is strange they won't provide a copy of the shipping receipt in the day and age of cell phone cameras.  He might think you are a PITA and not want to email you (which is a bad policy if you are a seller), but providing a copy of the receipt is fairly standard behavior.  I hope he's just on Christmas vacation and away from his inbox.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 39

Quote:
The ebay feedback link shows 1 negative feedback after a lot of positive ones.  That's hardly the type of evidence one would use to conclude he is a scammer.

Quote:
Convenient that he went on a sabbatical from this forum a day after you paid him for the MB Air.

That's perfectly normal.  Many people (me included) lurk on Head-Fi without logging in.  The day after I buy/sell something I go back into lurking mode.  Doing it over email instead of Head-Fi PM makes sense to people because you have direct contact with that person and you have a email paper trail.  I know I'm not the only person who does this.  There are a number of members who only log in and post when they want to buy/sell.

Quote:

Yeah, it is strange they won't provide a copy of the shipping receipt in the day and age of cell phone cameras.  He might think you are a PITA and not want to email you (which is a bad policy if you are a seller), but providing a copy of the receipt is fairly standard behavior.  I hope he's just on Christmas vacation and away from his inbox.

He left ebay after scamming a seller out of $250 which was also confirmed on another forum. His +feedback was on buying and selling $20 items.

He refuses to provide proof of shipping. Implies he will be unreachable a day after classified is closed. Convenient excuse for ignoring the seller and unconscionable that he will not respond to buyer. Makes an excuse that the buyer is unduly hassling when he asks for proof and tells buyer never to contact? I can't imagine a more obvious scam.

It is anything but "perfectly normal" to disappear mid-deal on a $1,000 purchase.

Can't be bothered with tracking?! Scam.

I would bet the selling price of that macbook that the buyer will see absolutely nothing. It pains me to state that here.

Dec 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 39
You need to contact him immediately and ask him for a copy of the mailing receipt. His excuse does not add up because you cannot ship a parcel internationally over 4 pounds without tracking through USPS unless he used International parcel which is incredibly foolish. Tracking is inherent because you need to fill out a custom export form that describes the product/value. The product has a unique no. that doubles as tracking as well. Third party shippers such as UPS, FedEX and DHL automatically has tracking service included. Contact him now.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 39

Quote:
You need to contact him immediately and ask him for a copy of the mailing receipt. His excuse does not add up because you cannot ship a parcel internationally over 4 pounds without tracking through USPS unless he used International parcel which is incredibly foolish. Tracking is inherent because you need to fill out a custom export form that describes the product/value. The product has a unique no. that doubles as tracking as well. Third party shippers such as UPS, FedEX and DHL automatically has tracking service included. Contact him now.

Sundance - Yeah I will contact him again for sure, many more times until he responds.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 39

Quote:
He left ebay after scamming a seller out of $250 which was also confirmed on another forum. His +feedback was on buying and selling $20 items.

He refuses to provide proof of shipping. Implies he will be unreachable a day after classified is closed. Convenient excuse for ignoring the seller and unconscionable that he will not respond to buyer. Makes an excuse that the buyer is unduly hassling when he asks for proof and tells buyer never to contact? I can't imagine a more obvious scam.

It is anything but "perfectly normal" to disappear mid-deal on a $1,000 purchase.

Can't be bothered with tracking?! Scam.

I would bet the selling price of that macbook that the buyer will see absolutely nothing. It pains me to state that here.

Thanks everyone for the info on this guy. It is very helpful. I don't get it though, had been a regular to head fi for a long time. I see now the items he had been buying and selling were cheap. It could be his M.O., buy and sell small priced items, build up trust then go for the big money. And I am the recipient of that scam. Which pains me as I really think the item will not show up.

Anyway, I have his name, photo, others have more info on the guy. For the sake of head'fi and others it is time to go public. His name is Stan Ferrer, lives in the Washington DC area.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=anacondastan&ftab=AllFeedback
http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/149739-mcintosh-double-din.html

His IP addy: 141.152.186.125

Thanks everyone for your help on this. I would like to make this guy's life a living hell ... so as to deter him and others from doing this. And also so others are not scammed by him.

By the way here is a photo of the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back