DO NOT BUY custom sleeves for SE846
Jul 23, 2015 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lisq199

New Head-Fier
I just received my custom sleeves for SE846 made by Sensaphonics.

First of all, I'd like to clarify that I'm not bashing Sensaphonics by any means. In fact, I think Sensaphonics is an awesome company that makes high quality products. What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't buy custom sleeves for SE846 from any company.

The sole reason I bought my custom sleeves was curiosity. I don't have any fitting issues with the original rubber or foam sleeves.

The only thing positive I can say about the custom sleeves is that they are very well made and they fit my ears perfectly.

Now let me explain why I don't recommend them.

Small thing first:
1. Unlike most custom IEMs, they stick out of the ears quite a bit and can look awkward.
2. They do isolate quite well, but the black foam sleeves that come with SE846 actually do a slightly better job in terms of isolation.

And let's talk about the most important reason. They completely ruin SE846's sound! SE846 is my second favourite universal IEM (after ER4P). I enjoy them immensely because of their clarity, smoothness, balanced and neutral sound signature, and deep and tight bass. The custom sleeves basically changed everything I like about SE846. The changes may be good for some people, but certainly not for me.
1. They warm up the sound. SE846's original sound signature is very neutral in my opinion, and I always hate warm sound. I prefer neutral to brighter sound.
2. They increase the amount of bass and decrease the tightness and clarity of the bass, resulting in a muddy mess. The original bass of SE845 is among the best I've ever heard. The amount is just slightly above flat, and the deepness and tightness are second to none. The custom sleeves don't really change the deepness, which is good. But they make the bass very boomy and muddy. The new bass even reminds me of Beats by Dre buds. I'm not kidding.
3. The highs and mids are rolled off. The clarity of the high end is one of my favourite aspects of SE846, and it's gone with the custom sleeves. Not only are the highs and mids completely overwhelmed by the bass, the amount of both highs and mids is actually decreased, which is basically a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
4. They narrow the soundstage. Enough said.

In conclusion, I think you should not buy custom sleeves for SE846. I'm surprised that Shure actually officially advertises them. The original rubber and foam sleeves are awesome on their own, and if you expect custom sleeves will improve the sound quality, you are going to be disappointed.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 2
Thanks for this very thorough analysis.

I had a very similar experience several years ago when trying to "upgrade" the SE530s that I was then using.  I had the moulds taken at a top clinic in London and the custom tips fitted perfectly.  But the moment I walked down Harley Street, I knew it was all wrong. Sound exclusion was little better, but the SQ of the SE530s was degraded beyond recognition. The characteristic clarity was completely gone, to be replaced by a muffled telephone-like experience.  I have not been tempted since.  Whether CIEMS are actually better is a question that it would cost a great deal more money to investigate, but I am not encouraged to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back