Do 'new' Hakko 936-12's come pre-used/tinned?
Jan 6, 2008 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
I just opened my newly arrived Hakko 936-12 I got from eBay.

When I opened the Hakko box and looked at the tip & 907 wand...they were used:

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 16
I believe the temperature control was calibrated and then pre-tined with Pb-Free solder at the factory- so yes, "new" irons will look like that. Double check the manual to be sure though.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 16
KK, I didn't touch anything else besides the plastic to take the pics. I'll check the manual.

Jan 6, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 16
Yes. Mine's the same way (I've also done nothing more than open it
biggrin.gif
), and somewhere there's an official mention that all their tips come pre-tinned. You didn't get scammed or anything.

Jan 6, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 16
Looks used. Pre-tinned is one thing but that tip doesn't look like factory-tinned (uniform tinning) and the barrel with the copper-hue signals it's been fired up at least once.

Mind u though, if u got a good deal, it shouldn't detract it from going another 10 years.

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 16
The rest of the tip is still shiny, which is a pretty good indicator of still being new. Once they're used the rest of the tip gets a layer of oxidation built up on it and only the business end of it stays shiny.

This is a used iron:

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Wow, that is a perfect pic for this sort of thing, with not all of the tip cleaned off. Nice job. Many people are either anal about it that take pictures, or want it looking good for the picture. My poor little Philmore looks kind of like that, but more purple
smily_headphones1.gif

The brownness on the barrel would be a good giveaway. In the pic, it looks to me like from the box or a table, reflecting (to me; I can't see it like jashatdot can).

Jan 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 16
It would take a hell of a lotta work to clean the entire tip; only the very end is plated to stay clean like that as it's the only part you use. That's an old pic though, instead of brown now mine is a pretty uniform ash grey, even on the last cm of the shaft, with the very tip still as good as new.

Jan 6, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 16
I PM'ed the seller about the tip & wand, he said the same thing about Hakko QC testing the unit, and would send me another if I wanted it I told him I am happy with this one, it'll last me years.

Thanks for your help guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Whats the best way to keep the tip clean? I know it comes with sponge...but with my old 15w $8 Rat Shack iron I used a Copper Brillow pad to keep the tip clean.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody know wheer to get a tip cleaner in the CONUS like the one above.

ALso, what temps are most people using their 936 at?

Brass tip cleaners are made by Hakko and Xytronic, among others. Jameco, MCMinone and others sell them - although, I can't find them at Mouser and DigiKey. Typically, they're less than $5 and you can buy refills for less. To be honest, I like the Xytronics - it's built more like a cheap ashtray: heavy with a rubber base that doesn't move.
wink.gif
The Hakko looks like it would blow over if you blew too hard.
wink.gif

If you ever make it down to Atlanta, Frys has them, Ack Electronics, and Audio Lab of Georgia.

I usually have my Hakko at 350deg. C, 375deg.C. if I'm doing de-soldering. I put it down to 300deg. C. if I'm soldering something like PCM chips on the Alien DAC. My regular tip may be worn out, though, so I may not be a good comparison.

EDIT: This is the Xytronics one that I see at most places:
156777.jpg

It's available at Jameco for $4.95 here:
SOLDER TIP CLEANING "GENIE" W/STAND

Jan 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the best way to keep the tip clean? I know it comes with sponge...but with my old 15w $8 Rat Shack iron I used a Copper Brillow pad to keep the tip clean.

i use one of these to keep my 936's tip clean. i still use the sponge to clear off excess solder, but then i also rub the tip around in that additional metal sponge to clean it off if it gets oxidized. if you use the metal sponge for removing excess solder as well, you'll find that your tip starts re-picking up that excess solder in pretty short order.

i find this type of tip cleaner to be especially useful with RMA solder - i started out with some cheap RA, which cleans the tip like a dream but i guess is more corrosive in the long term, then switched to Kester RMA, with which it's a bit tougher to get stubborn oxidation off the tip. the metal sponge is up to the task, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: beaten to the punch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back