Do my SR225 sound different?
Feb 14, 2006 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought some SR225 of another head-fier. According to the seller the drivers were repaced by Grado last fall and may not be completly burned in.

I've been using the SR60 now for 2 years.

From the SR225 I was expecting a headphone with more bass slam and fuller midrange than the SR60, since the SR225 are great rock headphones.

However, what I hear is less bass and less mids and more highs. Though the SR225 sounds cleaner and has more detail than the SR60.

In comparisson to the SR225 the SR60 sounds somewhat muddy and more colored.

Is your comparisson to these 2 headphones the same, or do the SR 225 take a long time to sound their best?

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 18
We gotta know what pads you're using
smily_headphones1.gif
The stock comfies are used on the SR60s result in a darker, more bass heavy sound than the bowl pads on the SR-225s.

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
However, what I hear is less bass and less mids and more highs

weird
are you using different pads for sr-60 and sr-225 ?
have you tried both from more then one source/amp ?
in the case you didn't , toy around with them with different hp-outs

Feb 14, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 18
As far as I know, a grado will sound like a grado, but the higher you get up the chain the more refined it sounds, as in better sound quality bass slam etc. However these differences I never heard as huge. It still sounded like a grado headphone, just more of it.

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 18
I'd also say a amp can make a difference as well.

I have a xin super mini and it sounds great. I also just got a new opamp from Xin and I was amazed at the sound as I heard it last night on the SR225's

The opamp is one he is selling on his site and he calls it Solid Tube opamp. It made the SR225 sound so rich and deep and amazing! I was very surprised how nice it sounded. I like the clean clear sound as well but the Tube sound just gives it a rich as well as nice bass quality.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 18
Capt. Z, I found exactly the same thing when I did my upgrade. The 225s sounded a lot cleaner, but didn't add bass like I expected. The bass has steadily improved over time though.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 18
I have used the comfies, the bowl pads and the reversed, modded Sennheiser 414 on the SR225.

With the comfies the SR225 sounded muddy. Bowl pads were too bright for my taste.

For the comparisson I used reversed, modded Senn. 414 pads on both, powered by my Amity HP2 SS headphone amp.

I was expexting more bass and bass slam and some warmer mids, since everybody is saying that these headphones are great rock phones. However, so far they sound very lean and somewhat bright.

So I was wondering if the SR225 need more burn in time to losen up the diaphram or if what I hear is normal for SR225.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...are+Headphones

The Graphs on headphone show, that the bass on the SR60 goes lower than the SR225, though the SR225 have stronger bass around 100 - 200 Hz.

Yes the SR225 sound much cleaner than the SR60, but where is the bass and midrange?

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 18
I have the flats on my SR225s and they sound really smooth. Brings down the highs and beefs up the lows. Maybe you should try the flats?

On another note, the flats to my ears don't do it for me with my RS1s. Muddies everything up and dulls the highs. The RS1s sound excellent with the bowls for me.

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
I have used the comfies, the bowl pads and the reversed, modded Sennheiser 414 on the SR225.

With the comfies the SR225 sounded muddy. Bowl pads were too bright for my taste.

For the comparisson I used reversed, modded Senn. 414 pads on both, powered by my Amity HP2 SS headphone amp.

I was expexting more bass and bass slam and some warmer mids, since everybody is saying that these headphones are great rock phones. However, so far they sound very lean and somewhat bright.

So I was wondering if the SR225 need more burn in time to losen up the diaphram or if what I hear is normal for SR225.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...are+Headphones

The Graphs on headphone show, that the bass on the SR60 goes lower than the SR225, though the SR225 have stronger bass around 100 - 200 Hz.

Yes the SR225 sound much cleaner than the SR60, but where is the bass and midrange?

I do see your point, especially since I have a older version as well as the new version of the SR225. I tend to feel John Grado tweaked the SR225 a bit to much. As the older version has deeper bass and also clearer and better highs.

I think perhaps your can's can get better with more burn in but not sure how much better. I have been hearing the older SR225 more lately. The only other idea I have is that a tube amp would probably give it some nice tones
smily_headphones1.gif

My newer version is also fairly new and needs more burn in.

I been hearing the new and older SR225 with a tube like opamp and dang it sure sounds nice and deeper bass for sure in both can's.
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 18
Well, I gave the SR225 some more non-stop burn in time.

They bass has improved.

After I turnd the quarter modded Sennheiser 414 around (to Non-reversed) I got more of the sound I was looking.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 18
I got a new amp a "Hornet" and my SR225's sound so much better now. I can really easily hear the difference from SR60, MS1 and SR225.

SR225 is definately a super fine Can
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back