Do my shures need running in or are they faulty?
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fongalv

100+ Head-Fier
hey all I just RMAed my e3c after one side decided to go intermittent...
the whole process took me 5 weeks and I havent been listening to any IEMs all this while...

the problem is that after they gave me a replacement pair, I find that the sound of this new pair is totally TERRIBLE...I dont remember my original pair sounding like this at all even in the beginning...the treble runs, bass runs, even cackles and sounds bloated many times over...now all my 320vbr music all sound like crap...like Im listening to some $2 phones...

is this a problem with the lack of running in? or did I just get yet another faulty phone?

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 10
sorry not really good at describing such terms...
everything sounds muffled and bloated...details are mostly hidden...

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower
lately there has been lots of posts questioning Shure's quality. Makes me reconsider my decision of purchasing the e3....
whats going on?

my first pair worked very well...it was damaged only after I brought it along skiing and exposed it to like -18C...the cables turned rather stiff and after that the right side crapped out...

this replacement pair is definitelt new but it sounds really bad now...

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 10
To me their quality and service is exceptional. I would hope this has not changed so soon.

I beat the crap out of mine for 6 months using them 6-9 hours a day in a bad environment for electronics (fixing cars).

While cleaning my E5c, the itty, bitty dampening screens came out. Wasn't sure what it was and searched on HeadFi (happened to others too). Sent to Shure with my receipt on a Monday (about a month ago), got it back the next Monday in my hands.

To my ears, they do sound better after about 60 hours of break in. I just let them play and covered them with a pillow for 3 days straight. They sound much better now.

You can click on my link of my rig picture for more info and my opinion on break-in for E5c.

It's too bad it took 5 weeks to get your Shure's back.

I would hope they sound better for you after break in, and you don't have to send them back in again and deal with all the bologna again.

Good luck.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 10
1 week...wow...I dont think thats ever gona happen in my country...

i called them up after 2 weeks and they said they needed to consolidate a couple more pairs of faulty phones b4 they "seeked" shures approval to replace our faulty ones with new ones at one go...

i understand what breaking in means to get the full potential of the IEMs but the sound is so bad that Im beginning to suspect they are faulty...

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 10
[size=small]BUMMER ME[/size]

my portable amp was running low on battery...ARGGGH...

problem solved thanks guys...

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fongalv
[size=small]BUMMER ME[/size]

my portable amp was running low on battery...ARGGGH...

problem solved thanks guys...

LOL !!!

now THAT'S funny !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back