RasmusseN

500+ Head-Fier
My current setup:
Realtek ALC882M* > HD580

*I know :p
* Had HD555 before sold to fund for new setup

Setup I've been thinking about:

AV-710 > DAC-ah > Heed CanAmp > HD580

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of people talking about Grados being the best for Rock and them preferring them over phones. I myself listen to Classic Rock most frequently and far behind that Classical. I am worried I am going to pour money into the wrong headphones and end up regretting it.

Are the HD580/HD600/HD650 not good at rock? I hear Grados are good for rock but I also hear things that I may not like about them as they don't have a soundstage which I tend to like with my HD580s.

So as the Topic Title says:
Do my Headphones fit my Genre?

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 14
It's all subjective. I love my HD580 for rock, they are the most "natural" sounding to me. But others may not. The best way to know is just to try a bunch of headphones and see for yourself...it's very hard for people to accurately tell you what headphones you should buy.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 14
Well, rock is pretty confusing to work with. I like warmth in my phones if I'm listening to rock, while others would think differently.

I'd defnitely take Mrvile's advice, try a couple pairs and trust your ears.

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current setup:
Realtek ALC882M* > HD580

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of people talking about Grados being the best for Rock and them preferring them over phones. I myself listen to Classic Rock most frequently and far behind that Classical. I am worried I am going to pour money into the wrong headphones and end up regretting it.

Are the HD580/HD600/HD650 not good at rock? I hear Grados are good for rock but I also hear things that I may not like about them as they don't have a soundstage which I tend to like with my HD580s.

So as the Topic Title says:
Do my Headphones fit my Genre?

I like my HD600s for rock...but, I like my MS2i better!

.....the opposite applies for classical!!

For a lot of classical rock, I can flip a coin!!

Soundstage is an interesting subject. For rock, I prefer the "on the stage, in the studio" effect I get with my Alessandros. The soundstage on the MS-1s is quite adequate, but it gets expanded significantly with the MS2i and even more so with the MS-Pro. They fit the genders I usually listen to. The HD600s have a better soundstage than the MS2i, which does a great job of sticking me a few rows back in the concert hall.

Perfect!

Then again we all hear differently!!

EDIT: I have a perfect example! Right now I'm listening to a Beatles CD from their early 60s really "Hot" almost shrill recordings right on up to the better mastered recordings at the end.

For the first; older numbers, I listen with the HD600s, and at that point when the tunes start to sound tame, I switch to the MS2i!

It works!!

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a perfect example! Right now I'm listening to a Beatles CD from their early 60s really "Hot" almost shrill recordings right on up to the better mastered recordings at the end.

For the first; older numbers, I listen with the HD600s, and at that point when the tunes start to sound tame, I switch to the MS2i!

It works!!

I wouldn't want to switch headphones

I also want to note I am a gamer mostly fps where soundstage is pretty important.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current setup:
Realtek ALC882M* > HD580

The Whole Point of the AV-710 is to use the Wolfson DAC they added to the board.

If you're going to use an external DAC, just wire up the S/PDIF jack for your ALC882 - it'll push bits over a coax or toslink cable every bit as well.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Whole Point of the AV-710 is to use the Wolfson DAC they added to the board.

If you're going to use an external DAC, just wire up the S/PDIF jack for your ALC882 - it'll push bits over a coax or toslink cable every bit as well.

I plan on buying the Heed CanAmp with the AV-710 and using that till I have the funds for the DAC-ah.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #8 of 14
What!? F107plus5 has an MS2i?! When did this happen?

For the record though, I enjoy classical a great deal on a Grado, so take that as you will about the headphone music stereotypes.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Sorry, my bad; I maintain that:

AKG: Jazz, easy rock, classical, country
Grado: Hard Rock, Metal

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 14
I will likely go to the meet and test out a bunch of equipment and headphones

I'll wait till after the meet to make my decision

If the HD580 end up not being my sound signature I can always sell them.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What!? F107plus5 has an MS2i?! When did this happen?

For the record though, I enjoy classical a great deal on a Grado, so take that as you will about the headphone music stereotypes.

Hi, Mercuttio! Welcome back!!

Got the MS2i in September. Loved them for all kinds of music including light-to-moderate classical right on up to the very biggest classical works, and for pipe organs when the really big pipes weren't as well represented.

That's where the HD600s came in a few days ago!

But these two sets of cans have a lot of overlap in the middle between rock and classical where each one sounds just as good as the other but with a different interpretation.

Choice is good!

.....now all I need is some kind of quality non-sound-degrading switchbox so I can change cans without continuing to wear out the output jack!!
blink.gif

cool.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 14
classic rock in particular = Alessandro. as far up the music series as you can go. MS-1, MS-2i, you can't go wrong.

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 14
blah! I say if you're liking the HD580s keep them. Either demo a Grado or buy the SR60 or SR225. The SR60 has the classic Grado sound, but is not nearly as refined as the HD580: it will give you an idea of what Grado does with rock. Since it's $70 it's not much of a setback. There are no bests.....especially since rock is a broad genre.

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blah! I say if you're liking the HD580s keep them. Either demo a Grado or buy the SR60 or SR225. The SR60 has the classic Grado sound, but is not nearly as refined as the HD580: it will give you an idea of what Grado does with rock. Since it's $70 it's not much of a setback. There are no bests.....especially since rock is a broad genre.

I'd thought since you mentioned rock has a broad genre would you like me to compile a list of some artists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back