Do most people who invest in high end head-fi listen to just CD's or vinyl?
Mar 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #16 of 79

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with a MacBook as a source. If you go to shows like THE or RMAF, you'll find equipment there costing tens or even hundreds of thousands being driven by MacBooks or Mac Minis. That said, optical out into a DAC isn't "good enough". Optical is the worst digital transmission format there is. Jitter is extremely high, and in most cases it can't handle anything over 24/96.

Your best bet is an Asynchronous mode USB DAC, or if you prefer, a USB > S/Pdif converter and then into your DAC of choice. One of the premier candidates right now is the Calyx DAC. Further up the price ladder is the April Music Eximus DAC. You should also try Pure Music, Amarra, etc.

I just started looking into Amarra AND based on a thread on here some people swear by it.
I really dont understand what it does.
Would I need to re-rip my music through Amarra to get the benefits?

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #18 of 79

Quote:
I just started looking into Amarra AND based on a thread on here some people swear by it.

No.  Amarra works with your iTunes Library, so whatever is in the library it can process/play.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #19 of 79

Quote:

That ebay item I linked IS a DAC.

With some DAC's they'll have D/D digital to digital, which means you can connect a USB DAC via COAX to another DAC which doesn't have USB.

So basically what you are saying is I would use the DAC you linked as sort of an adapter to another DAC to COAX?
Would this make the signal going into my main DAC better?

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #21 of 79

Quote:

Amarra, PureMusic, Fidelia, and others are in vogue for music playback on the Mac currently.  As I understand it, they upsample the file before sending it on to the DAC, with the supposition that you will get a better transfer.  I also happen to believe that the music is "tampered with" in an proprietary fashion.  This is configurable to some degree.  They will all handle hi rez files correctly.

These provide two important modes: 1) Memory play - where the program will place the whole file into memory (assuming there is enough) and plays the file from memory. 2) 'Hog" or "exclusive access" mode where the program is given complete control of the DAC interface.  These two functions will markedly improve your sound.  A third one is called 'integer mode", which none of my DACs will run, so I have not studied enough on it to make comments.  Integer mode is currently broken on OSX Lion.

They all play pretty much any file you give them, you will not need to re-rip your lossless files like FLAC or ALAC.

Native iTunes will not change the frequency/bit depth sent for each song.  Usually the Mac is set to 16/44.1, and is changed in the Midi config utility, and Core Audio downsample your high rez files (or upsample if you set it higher in Midi).  The program Bitperfect (available in the app store) will give this property to iTunes, and provide "bitperfect" output just like the name says.  Decibel is another file player program in the app store that will play pretty much everything bit perfect, and not use iTunes at all.

Many of the above programs have a trial period, and I suggest you try as many of them as you can before purchasing one.  I know that I have missed mentioning several other programs, but that is enough to get started with. 

And also be aware that some of these programs attempt to make your music sound "better" and some just concentrate on "bitperfect" output.  Some work with iTunes, some just read from the iTunes library, and others you have to set the pointer to your music file directory.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #22 of 79
If you use that musiland with usb input and toslink output you aren't actually using the DAC and the right term is a transporter. You have Musical Fidelity V-link for example that is only a transporter.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #23 of 79
Quote:
So basically what you are saying is I would use the DAC you linked as sort of an adapter to another DAC to COAX?
Would this make the signal going into my main DAC better?

If you want to use COAX (like I do), get the Musiland Monitor 01 USD, or the Musiland Monitor 02 US (or something else)

Then, you use it as a converter for USB -> COAX to feed your other DAC, with the right settings in Kernel Streaming or ASIO, there is very low latency, like 5ms or so I think, so no issues there!

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #24 of 79
You have three options.

1. Take the optical out from your mac and put it into the optical in of a DAC. For example the Neko DAC, or something like that.

2. Buy a DAC that has USB in. Connect your USB to your DAC. For example an rDAC

3. Get a USB to SPIDF transporter and then connect the optical or coax from that to another DAC.

Mar 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #25 of 79
I have also set up almost like your Set Up

Source : IMac 27 "
             CD Player From April Music CDA 500

DAC : CD Player CDA 500 can use as stand alone DAC
          work very good with IMac , has upsampling : By Pass , 96 KHz anbd 192 KHz 

Music File : 90 % i n WAV and 10 % mix AIFF and FLAC

USB cable : Wire World Ultra Violet or better you buy ACR Reference II Silver made in USA

Headphone : LCD 2 Rev 2 and LCD 3

Amplifier :  Pre Amp Tube T + A  P 10.2

My suggestion : Buy April Music CD 500 ,m you can use as CD Player or Stand alone DAC for your Macbook

For LCD 3 best sounding i use as CD Player my CDA 500 ( MSRP 3595 USD )

For working and Playing music i use CDA 500 as Stand alone DAC

because your set up alreadt High end . i think do not buy lower than your LF and LCD 3.

i think you will sale after 3 month , because your level already so high end. 

at the ende you will loose your money for buying and saling again.

Your decision is on the right track , if money do not have problem with your situation

I hope can help youj

Cheers

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 79
I spent $4000 on my system and all I listen to is FLAC files of CD and Vinyl rips, never the actual physical content. Sounds great! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #27 of 79
I took the CD player out of my system last year; I've ripped all of my CDs to iTunes as AIFF files.  I also have some FLAC files that I've converted to AIFF for iTunes compatibility.  I also have BitPerfect installed on my Mac Mini, which feeds a WyredForSound DAC2.  From there, I have two amps connected, a Woo WA2 and a Violectric V200.  I use either, depending on what music I'm listening to, and which headphones I'll be using.

To me, this is a fairly high-end system, and I cannot tell any difference between my digital files and the original CDs played through the same system.  I still buy lots of CDs, though; I'd rather buy them and rip them than download compressed files from iTunes or elsewhere.  

I'd recommend the WyredForSound DAC2, although it may be above your budget at $1500.00.  It's an amazingly versatile DAC, and built like a tank.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #29 of 79
My system is sort of the otherway around.

LCD2 + B22 + Linn Klimax

So that's basicly $3k worth of headphone and amp and a whole lota $$ on the source.

I can honestly say I like my setup much better than LCD3 + phonitor + a mid-range CDP, granted I thought the LCD3 was one of those "veiled" version. There is a realism to the sound from my system that I rarely hear in other systems, including big ticket speaker/amp combos. I have had the same phone/amp combo for quite a while and have gone through a series of DACs. With each incremental upgrade, I get closer to a more lifelike sound. The difference between Linn and lesser priced DACs is not night and day (e.g., from 32kps mp3 to 24/96 master flac), but there is an important point at which sound becomes real and music become almost lifelike.

Quote:
I love the sound of great music.
As a matter of fact I cant enjoy music unless it has at least decent quality.

I am just wondering if I am overbuying with LCD'3s and LF amps if my source music is LOSSLESS files downloaded with APPLES default itunes encoder?

The reason I ask is because I have not received my LF yet. Im told its going to take a few weeks.

I did get my LCD'3 a few days ago.
It sounds much better then what I had before, but not 2K good yet.

I did not expect it to sound sound 2k good yet because im using a cheap $200 amp with MACBOOK PRO sound cord with no dedicated DAC.

But im beginning to wonder if I am overbuying (5K+ so far $3200 amp $2000 headphones) if im not using CD's and vinyl.

I dont mind spending HIGH-END money for HIGH-END return if thats what I get.

But im not able/willing to inventory 800+ CD's to listen to music directly from CD's. I dont even own a record player.

I have gone thru a lot of trouble burning disk lossless onto a 5TB external hard drive and then getting rid of the CD's.

I dont own the CD's anymore.

I guess what im asking is would I be better off if I lower my equipment quality if I am not willing to listen to CD's and vinyl?

Would an LCD2 with LYR and Bitfrost suite me better?

These are questions I should have asked before buying the LF and LCD3.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #30 of 79
The Mac's internal DAC is better than that of many other computers but even a Schiit Bifrost ($450) with the optional USB input would be worlds better than your Mac. I guarantee you would notice a huge difference. From there you could try Amarra, and then there are high-end DACs that are optimized for the Amarra that they recommend if you feel the urge to upgrade further. But you might just stop at the Bifrost (with iTunes/ALAC) for quite a while, the consensus is that it punches way above it's price class and you're not paying for things you won't use like an internal headamp or balanced outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back